SlateDigital new FG-A beats API

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FG-A Vintage EQ

badass_billy wrote:
bbtr wrote: ignorant
Ah yes, we have one of our resident non-linear coloration experts here. Please do tell us of all the complex variables that go in to crafting these super special space-age equalizers.
well, i wouldn't really go as far as claiming his plugins are snake oil. they're great, in fact, and numerous blind tests have shown that. it's the usability of VMR that i have a problem with. i still use VTM a lot.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

badass_billy wrote:
bbtr wrote: ignorant
Ah yes, we have one of our resident non-linear coloration experts here. Please do tell us of all the complex variables that go in to crafting these super special space-age equalizers.
arrogant

jbraner wrote:What is that screen shot telling you?
With no bands engaged, it rolls off at 5Hz (er OK), and with the "opamp" switch on, it's 2.5db louder. We'll, that is clearly *not* the case with FG-A, so maybe the plugin doctor tests are screwy.

Or am I mising something?

FG-A sounds better (to me) than Overloud EQ550 and way better than Waves 550b.
Of course, it costs more than $30 too.
do some blind tests...it is the same ballpark & definitely nothing special on the table.

Burillo wrote: well, i wouldn't really go as far as claiming his plugins are snake oil. they're great, in fact, and numerous blind tests have shown that.
Numerous blind tests have shown that there are a lot of really good plugins. A few of his compressors stand out to me, but other than that, nothing really earth-shattering. Really don't see the hype. Just another good set of plugins in a sea of good plugins.

poshook wrote:
With no bands engaged, it rolls off at 5Hz (er OK), and with the "opamp" switch on, it's 2.5db louder. We'll, that is clearly *not* the case with FG-A, so maybe the plugin doctor tests are screwy.

do some blind tests...it is the same ballpark & definitely nothing special on the table.
Yeah - they're the same ballpark, but the Slate one has the "snake oil".
I'm the first to admit that there may be some snake oil in the Slate plugins - but I like the ones I have.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

I don't know what's going on with Slates modelling but it's like all his ones with non-linearities have this exaggerated softening effect of the whole sound. i noticed it first in VMR on his 1073 emulation,and the 1073 is ANYTHING but soft sounding,it has a prominent bite in the hi-mids and a massive low end if you hit those input transformers with a lot of gain before you even reach clipping the transistors (which is very noticeable on transients)and i can notice it on this API emu too.the thing about the API (i have the 512 pre in 500 series)is that too is also anything but soft.it's a very punchy,tight pre(probably those op amps and transformers) and i've heard the 5500 and it exhibits the same timbre.
I

jbraner wrote:
poshook wrote:

Yeah - they're the same ballpark, but the Slate one has the "snake oil".
I'm the first to admit that there may be some snake oil in the Slate plugins - but I like the ones I have.
To me FG-A sounds like another algorithmic EQ. The depth I can hear on Acustica EQs is completely missing. Nice curves but flat. My 2 cents

I agree that the AA plugins still have "that something" that is missing from Slate's offering but it's definitely getting there. I'm also getting much quicker results with this than Pink2.. not exactly sure why. I'm not calculating the sluggish UI/vector loading in to this either but simply pure mixing and getting the sound I want in my head.

Having said that, I usually follow most of my critical tracks with one Acustica Audio Pre/N4 program of some kind which in my opinion is all that is needed to get "that something" back almost completely, even if all the frequency stuff was done with algorithmic plugins.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I’ve always thought Slate makes ‘ok’ stuff but dishes out metric tons of hype.
Example:
kmonkey wrote:.....

"the nonlinear coloration is dynamically dependent on the settings, which is something that we found in the hardware but not in any other emulation of the hardware..

Therefore, audio pros will likely hear something unique about the FG-A, even if they have similar plugins from other developers..

What crap. The first phrase probably fits many hardware gears. The rest is sh*t talk.
I’m a happy PSP EQ user also but obviously there are so many good software EQs.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I dig three kinds of native plugins: analog emulations, digital originals and unique specialties. To discern the best developers in these three groups, I prioritize sound and GUI. Hence in my book, the first group is ruled by Slate, the second by FabFilter, and the third by Zynaptiq.

Here’s an interesting Slate-Waves and hardware comparison:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jxZXFwwUUNQ

Fleer wrote:I dig three kinds of native plugins: analog emulations, digital originals and unique specialties. To discern the best developers in these three groups, I prioritize sound and GUI. Hence in my book, the first group is ruled by Slate, the second by FabFilter, and the third by Zynaptiq.

Here’s an interesting Slate-Waves and hardware comparison:
The first interesting post regarding FG-A at all!

It's easy for Slate to make his stuff fare well in these "shootouts."

He spends most of his time on Gearslutz, where they cater to the advertisers. Whenever a shootout is posted where his version doesn't fare as well as the others, the thread mysteriously vanishes in to thin air.

Wiped out of existence.

Gearslutz are the fake news of the Audio World. it's just an advertiser's circus show, parading as a community. And don't even get me started on the ones on his own site? Do you really think he's going to NOT delete the ones that aren't favorable to Slate?

I think we should plan a hostile takeover of Gearslutz. :-) That place is so evil. Who's with me?

groovyomega wrote:Here’s an interesting Slate-Waves and hardware comparison:
I'm sorry, but this guy is just not believable. He's in the tank for Slate in some way. :hihi:

Not buying it at all. His reactions and the way he talks. It's like he's trying WAY TOO HARD to sound like "Mister Objective / Trying it for the first time here."

Sorry. Total fakester.

badass_billy wrote:
groovyomega wrote:Here’s an interesting Slate-Waves and hardware comparison:
I'm sorry, but this guy is just not believable. He's in the tank for Slate in some way. :hihi:

Not buying it at all. His reactions and the way he talks. It's like he's trying WAY TOO HARD to sound like "Mister Objective / Trying it for the first time here."

Sorry. Total fakester.
How does it come, that more than the half of your 47 posts here on the forum sound to me like a personal vendetta against Slate...
Is that the reason for your account here??? I mean your nickname says already a lot...

Trancit wrote:How does it come, that more than the half of your 47 posts here on the forum sound to me like a personal vendetta against Slate...
Is that the reason for your account here??? I mean your nickname says already a lot...
Link to one other thread besides this one where I even so much as utter the word "slate."

Didn't think so. Go home, tough guy.

I have no special vendettas against this guy that I don't have for any other massive bullshitter. He just happens to be a bigger bullshitter than most, so he might draw a tiny sliver more of my wrath. :hihi:

Return to “Effects”