your "super-synth" ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote:While i own tons of softsynths and also some hardware synths currently my Top 5 "go-to" synths are those:
- Tone2 Icarus
- VPS Avenger
- Roland Cloud Jupiter-8
- Roland Cloud SRX Keyboards (includes all features and samples of the JV-1080 plugin)
- U-He Repro-5 (the installer and license also includes the Repro-1 plugin)

Wavetables created with Icarus could be imported into Avenger.

The combination of Icarus and Avenger is really powerful in terms of synthesis options and doing sound design.
I forgot to mention Xils Lab Syn'X 2 which is one of my all time favorite analog polysynth softsynths and one of the plugin i own for the longest time now.
Bought it when it it was originally released as "Synthix" back in 2011 so i own it since more than 7 years now. Since the first version it was improved quite a lot both sound and feature wise. Features go far beyond what was püpossible with a real Synthex on which this is based on while the plugin "MiniSyn'X" seems to just use the original feature set.

While i really love the sound of both the Jupiter-8 and Repro-5 plugins i mentioned earlier here if i had to choose a single analog polysynth emulation at the moment i am quite sure it would be Syn'X 2. IMO the combination of the sound and features of that plugin is amazing. FWIW with some tewaking i could also come quite close to some of my favorite Jupiter-8 patches with it.

With Syn'X 2 you have an option to program up to 8 voices individually comparable to what is possible with the "Differential Unison Engine" in Synapse Audio DUNE and DUNE 2.

I admit that due to being distracted by many other synths that i like too so far i had just scratched the surface of what is possible with Syn'X 2 and same is also true about the amazing Xils Lab PolyKB III.
A lot of the features in Syn'X 2 also seem to be included in Xils Lab Oxium (besides others not included in Syn'X 2) which is a great synth on it's own.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I always loved what UVI Falcon can do, but it seems kind of expensive

Yes , i m looking for falcon too, but the price is too high and i m not sure i need it.

Super-synth for what purpose ?

The needs of an EDM composer are totally different to the needs of someone who does country music.

KVR, being KVR, probably means EDM, although large numbers of people who post here compose all sorts of different music.

For my music the freeware "synth one" is all I ever need. I have tested the demos of all the rest and I am not able to sort them apart,they all sound pretty generic to my ears. The probable reason that different people say "Zebra" or "Bazille" or "Spire," or whatever is because they are trying to make their particular take on EDM stand out from the crowd.

dellboy wrote:Super-synth for what purpose ?

The needs of an EDM composer are totally different to the needs of someone who does country music.

KVR, being KVR, probably means EDM, although large numbers of people who post here compose all sorts of different music.
+1. This statement is very true.

As a person who mainly produces late 90's/early 00's R&B ballads, I always feel like an odd ball on this forums, as what is suitable for me or the reason I have an interest in certain products is often times different than most here.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, my super-synth options are Falcon and HALion 6, but I mainly use them as romplers and not for sound design. For the type of music I create, unique sound design is low on the radar of importance and my old hardware romplers (i.e., Motif ES, D50, JV1080, Proteus 2000, etc.) would more than suffice, if I did not prefer a software studio environment.

Yes, depending on the genre, some synths might be more super than others.
As usual it is another "what is your favorite synth" thread.
Nothing wrong with this.
So just right now my Top 5 synth list would be (can change at any time):
1. P900 (mac only)
2. Alchemy (Logic)
3. Omnisphere 2
4. Model D (iOS only)
5. Zeeon (iOS only)
But the only really super synth is if i combine them all in my DAW with my favorite FX and midi FX on top.
Against some nice layered sounds all single synths are boring.

skyscape wrote:I keep returning to Absynth, amazingly deep and versatile. If the UI was modernized and the effects section updated and could be stacked I think it could quite possibly be the perfect synth.
That is one that i’m often inspired to play.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

The gui is terrible on absynth ! I wish i had the patience to learn it ...but no ..NI should fix this problem

Most used: Pianoteq
Current MPE/VpC objects of fascination/experiments:
Infinite Pro
Cypher2 / Bazille

dellboy wrote:KVR, being KVR, probably means EDM
What makes you think most people here make EDM? After spending some time here I don't have that impression at all.

fanodu1 wrote:
What makes you think most people here make EDM? After spending some time here I don't have that impression at all.
Go to the One Synth Challenge threads over the past few years and go listen to all the entries. The majority are EDM. That's how people get the impression that most people here do EDM. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true, but it's easy to understand why people feel that way.

fanodu1 wrote:
Actually I think that KVR is one of the most EDM-unfriendly music-related forums.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

wagtunes wrote:
fanodu1 wrote:
Go to the One Synth Challenge threads over the past few years and go listen to all the entries. The majority are EDM. That's how people get the impression that most people here do EDM. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true, but it's easy to understand why people feel that way.
I don't know about your definition of EDM but most music people post in the OSC challenges don't sound very "EDM" at all, in fact a lot of it is rather experimental music and ambient stuff. I've heard dnb songs, the odd hip hop beat, jazz, psytrance and even progressive rock and music I can't even assign a genre to. There is quite a variety of music the people make here which is why I think calling this a mainly EDM community seems unreasonable.

fanodu1 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
fanodu1 wrote:
I don't know about your definition of EDM but most music people post in the OSC challenges don't sound very "EDM" at all, in fact a lot of it is rather experimental music and ambient stuff. I've heard dnb songs, the odd hip hop beat, jazz, psytrance and even progressive rock and music I can't even assign a genre to. There is quite a variety of music the people make here which is why I think calling this a mainly EDM community seems unreasonable.
Well that depends upon how broad or narrow your definition of EDM is. Sure, there are numerous sub genres. Just go to Wikipedia. My definition is broad. Yours may be narrow. I go by mine and what I think of when I think of EDM.

wagtunes wrote:
fanodu1 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
fanodu1 wrote:
Well that depends upon how broad or narrow your definition of EDM is. Sure, there are numerous sub genres. Just go to Wikipedia. My definition is broad. Yours may be narrow. I go by mine and what I think of when I think of EDM.
I'm pretty sure he confused it with IDM.
EDM= Electronic Dance Music. David Guetta like stuff. Party music for the masses.
IDM= Intelligent Dance Music, but while meanwhile most in the scene rather refer to it as "Electronica", since it's not generally dance oriented.

Return to “Instruments”