Any Advice For Reinstalling NI Maschine, Battery on New PC?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just bought a new laptop and I'm trying to reinstall all my NI stuff without having to re-download 20-odd gigs of content. There is plenty of info on how to do it on NI's site but none of it is helpful, in that I've done exactly what they said to do and nothing works. Here's a summary of the steps I've taken -

- Before I started installing anything, I set the "Content" path in Native Access to the new location, where all my content is waiting.

- I installed Battery 4 and Maschine, plus anything else that didn't involve lots of content downloads.

- I opened Battery 4 in my host and none of the content, even the Battery Factory Library, shows up.

- I can open kits using the "Files" tab but it won't find any content if I open a project. It won't even let me link it manually.

- In Maschine, nothing shows up at all in the browser, even after checking that the paths are correct and re-scanning twice.

- If I try to load a kit manually in Maschine, it tells me I need to authorise Maschine (or the expansion if I try those) before I can do that. When I try to authorise in Native Access, it starts downloading the whole library again.

I only have a 4G internet connection so there is no way I am going to download all that krap again. If anyone has any idea how to make it all work, I'd really appreciate the help.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Weird that NA isn't seeing anything when it's (all?) pointing to the correct location.

When you open NA are your registered libraries (in this case Maschine / Expansions / Battery) but also are your other libraries showing up at all in the 'Not Installed' pane?

When 'Installed' but not found there should be an orange 'Repair' warning on the far left of each library? [ On Mac if you click 'Repair' it offers you an option to 'Download' or 'Relocate'... using the latter and pointing to the folders should work? ]

They are showing up in the NOT INSTALLED tab but the problem is that when I go to install them, it starts downloading everything again and I don't know if it will end up putting everything into the Content folder twice if I let it proceed. At least I can locate the things I need manually for each song in Battery. Maschine is completely unusable but we don't use it much within Orion so I can live with that.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:They are showing up in the NOT INSTALLED tab but the problem is that when I go to install them, it starts downloading everything again and I don't know if it will end up putting everything into the Content folder twice if I let it proceed. At least I can locate the things I need manually for each song in Battery. Maschine is completely unusable but we don't use it much within Orion so I can live with that.
If you re-download (and the NA path is pointing to where the existing libraries are) it will overwrite the existing folders.

Also, if you have your old computer still and the library path is the same on the new laptop (eg: All your libraries are on the same external drive, or (maybe) in the same path position on the internal drive you should be able to use the same .plist files (eg: com.native-instruments.Maschine 2.plist) from the old laptop in the new one. [ In OSX the plist files are located in Users > *username* > Library > Preferences, not sure about Win ] NA should then pick these up as installed.

No, the problem is that I wasn't happy with the location of the Content folder on my old machine but it was the only drive with enough space. The new machine has four times the storage so I want to set it up in a more logical/convenient place. I'll try and find those .plist files and see if I can do anything with them. Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

I assume you have restarted your computer a few times?
Normally I would say after setting the content location hit rescan (top right icon) in NA and see if that fixes the issue, but a restart of computer and restarting NA does that automatically hence why I assume you have already restarted computer?
rsp
sound sculptist

Yeah, Battery started allowing me to find stuff, song by song, after a restart but Maschine is still unusable. I tried rescanning several times. It seems to find thousands of files but none of them show up after the scan.

NI finally got back to me and admitted it is a shortcoming with Native Access and that I have no choice but to spend countless hours reinstalling it all myself. They say they are working on it but it seems like it wouldn't be that hard. NA is way too basic, it needs to give users more options, like "Download & Install" or "Authorise".

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”