Flash of the Blade

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... -the-blade

The ceremony in the cathedral must go ahead; it must not be disrupted by the followers of Cardinal Richelieu...

Outside the doors of the cathedral a deadly game of 'cat and mouse' ensues as the vastly outnumbered musketeers fight valiantly to hold the intruders at bay!

Central section - we swoop back inside for a brief glimpse of the ongoing proceedings!

The big finale takes place ever closer to the cathedral doors; the interlopers break though but it's too late!

not bad , but could be improved by padding it out to about one hour or so ...
give or take ...

My Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments - 10
Performance - 10
Mix - 10

Overall - 10

Comments: Reminds me of Hans Zimmer's work, ala Pirates. Very well done. Just wish it was longer. Do you have a Soundcloud channel or something?

Curious as to what tracks make this piece up.

why do "musket"eers use rapiers so much?

vurt wrote:why do "musket"eers use rapiers so much?
They're showing off ...

Because muskets were really sh#t! :0)

You fired...often missed...couldn't reload quickly...shit, I need to stab the f#cker! :0)

experimental.crow wrote:not bad , but could be improved by padding it out to about one hour or so ...
give or take ...
I can't possibly comment! :0)

Serious answer....boo...

The French word mousquetaire originally referred to an infantryman with a musket.

Over time, the word changed its meaning, lost the connection with the weapon, and referred to a much 'grander' person.

A mousquetaire was a gentleman in one of the two companies of the royal household cavalry in pre-revolutionary France.

The companies were distinguished by the colour of the horses they rode - either grey or black. Thus there were mousquetaires gris and mousquetaires noirs. Cavalry have no use for clumsy muskets, which are difficult to reload at the best of times.

The problem we have is an over-literal translation of the French which loses the context.

wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments - 10
Performance - 10
Mix - 10

Overall - 10

Comments: Reminds me of Hans Zimmer's work, ala Pirates. Very well done. Just wish it was longer. Do you have a Soundcloud channel or something?

Thank you for the 50 / 50...not sure I agree! :0)

Soundcloud's here, but not that much on there at the moment...80 odd tracks?

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music

What did you mean by this, I'm having a 'doh' moment?

Curious as to what tracks make this piece up

Really enjoyed the piece, but I disagree with the others regarding the length. I think it does exactly what it sets out to do with a nice, tight progression.

Like that it's not overly bombastic, as is 'de rigueur' these days. And I really enjoy the clean mix :tu:

ChamMusic wrote:
wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments - 10
Performance - 10
Mix - 10

Overall - 10

Thank you for the 50 / 50...not sure I agree! :0)

Soundcloud's here, but not that much on there at the moment...80 odd tracks?

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music

What did you mean by this, I'm having a 'doh' moment?

Curious as to what tracks make this piece up
By tracks I mean the individual tracks in the DAW project, or, what instruments were used. Probably should have just said instruments in the first place. :dog:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Really enjoyed the piece, but I disagree with the others regarding the length. I think it does exactly what it sets out to do with a nice, tight progression.

Like that it's not overly bombastic, as is 'de rigueur' these days. And I really enjoy the clean mix :tu:
Cheers for that!

Like that it's not overly bombastic - I'm glad to hear you describe it that way as it's very much meant to be what I'd call more 'old school' orchestral film music...NOT just reliant on big hybrid drums thumping along etc etc! :0)

I disagree with the others regarding the length - unless I'm misreading their comments, Crow was NOT being serious...a slight 'aside' regarding another thread where I foolishly gave constructive criticism to someone who simply didn't want to hear it! :0) Wag just wanted to hear more as such! :0)

As, I almost always do when composing purely for 'fun', I experimented with extra sections and developments, but in this case I rejected them as inappropriate! I might revisit at a later date maybe and extend the 'story'!

ChamMusic wrote:

Serious answer....boo...

The French word mousquetaire originally referred to an infantryman with a musket.

Over time, the word changed its meaning, lost the connection with the weapon, and referred to a much 'grander' person.

A mousquetaire was a gentleman in one of the two companies of the royal household cavalry in pre-revolutionary France.

The companies were distinguished by the colour of the horses they rode - either grey or black. Thus there were mousquetaires gris and mousquetaires noirs. Cavalry have no use for clumsy muskets, which are difficult to reload at the best of times.

The problem we have is an over-literal translation of the French which loses the context.

cool tunes and education thrown in. whats not to love? 8)

dunno why they cant just speak english like the rest of us :x

ChamMusic wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Really enjoyed the piece, but I disagree with the others regarding the length. I think it does exactly what it sets out to do with a nice, tight progression.

Cheers for that!

Like that it's not overly bombastic - I'm glad to hear you describe it that way as it's very much meant to be what I'd call more 'old school' orchestral film music...NOT just reliant on big hybrid drums thumping along etc etc! :0)

I disagree with the others regarding the length - unless I'm misreading their comments, Crow was NOT being serious...a slight 'aside' regarding another thread where I foolishly gave constructive criticism to someone who simply didn't want to hear it! :0) Wag just wanted to hear more as such! :0)

As, I almost always do when composing purely for 'fun', I experimented with extra sections and developments, but in this case I rejected them as inappropriate! I might revisit at a later date maybe and extend the 'story'!
:tu:

wagtunes wrote:By tracks I mean the individual tracks in the DAW project, or, what instruments were used. Probably should have just said instruments in the first place.
Nah, it was me having a 'doh' moment...told you! :0)

Just looking...hang on...

26 tracks in total - Mainly within 2 instances of Kontakt 5 except one track of Omnisphere (Boys Voices Choir)

It's basically orchestral sounds, (most of which are from Albion One by Spitfire Audio) A few extra doubling layers come from Da Capo sample library by Sonokinetic. Tuned Percussion - Mallets by Sonokinetic.

Tracks from Albion One(all keyswitched for various articulations):

High Strings
Low Strings
2nd High Strings
2nd Low Strings
Strings General (switches from low to high)
String Runs - setup for the runs only...I drew them in and then edited for flow)
High Woodwind
Low Woodwind
High Brass
Mid Brass
Low Brass
2nd High Brass
2nd Mid Brass
Cymbal swells
Cymbal Hits
Drum Beat 1
Drum Beat 2

Other Tracks:
Tuned Percussion (Mallets library - orchestral marimba with rubber beaters)
Violins
Violas
Cellos
Double Bass
(All from Da Capo sample library)
Church Organ (basic Kontakt Library)
Boys Choir (Omnisphere)
Full Choir
2nd Full Choir
(Soundiron REQUIEM LIGHT SYMPHONIC CHOIR )...used the step by step syllable programming technique...takes bloody ages!

I think that's it! :0)

Return to “Music Cafe”