Stranger Than Fiction |Indie/Britpop (I guess) - mixing help/feedback welcome

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been working on this for quite a while now. I got lots of great suggestions from the people on the IL forums that have given the track a whole new feel and (IMO) improved it a great deal from the humble beginnings. Quite like the lyrics on this one.

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/stranger-than-fiction

I think the mix isn't quite 100% there yet. The bridge ("He's the king of misdirection...") probably needs a little tightening up, and some of the background vocals aren't quite sitting right. Having been working on this for so long, I've lost all perspective though. Any suggestions on how to improve the mix would be welcome, or just feedback on how it sounds overall.

Chords
Verse:
Am Am C G
Dm Dm F G

Chorus
Am Am F7/Eb E7/D

Bridge
C Em/B Am F

His favourite author’s Voltaire
He's got a pretentious flair
A little poodle called Cher
And an Art Noveau chair
A crusader for justice
He has his own moral compass
He and I know why:
Magnetic north is between his thighs

You couldn’t make this up

Everything cloak and dagger for a while
Smokes his roll-ups with cunning and guile
Women swoon cos he comes across as blasé
He’s got a winning smile
A minute later he starts on his spiel
Selling his dream with an insomniac's zeal
And in its own way it has its appeal
Play along though you know it’s not real

He’s the king of misdirection
Doesn’t care for circumspection
Disingenuous disaffection
He’s in love with his reflection
Falling for his own deception
Built upon a misconception
That he is his own depiction
of a life stranger than fiction

You couldn’t make this up
Stranger than fiction

a poodle called cher :lol:

been a while since you posted anything new. so, good to see this :tu:
mix sounds fine to me, nothing jumped out on first listen.
if i hear anything in future plays ill let you know 8)

I liked your song.

The words are a bit cutting but there is a fun tongue in cheek attitude that keeps it humorous.

Mix sounds good, if a little busy at times. Fun catchy song. Reminds me of early Pulp.

vurt wrote:a poodle called cher :lol:
Haven't you got one? All the rage...

Sounds good now. The only real thing I'd change (and it was my idea so I reserve the right to opine! :P) is to really emphasize the toms in the break bit at 1 min 42. You could just automate them and turn them up for that part, but I was thinking it could sound good with that Phil Spector 'stick some reverb on and compress the buggery sound', a la the start of this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPowvspa4BI

donkey tugger wrote:
Haven't you got one? All the rage...
tbh, if it hadn't been for that line, i would've sworn this track was about me :o
but i have a chihuahua called rameau.
Last edited by vurt on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9
Mix - 9.5

Overall - 9

Comments: Reminds me a bit of Dire Straights. Well done.

sweet tune :tu:
i liked everything :clap:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

donkey tugger wrote:Sounds good now. The only real thing I'd change (and it was my idea so I reserve the right to opine! :P) is to really emphasize the toms in the break bit at 1 min 42. You could just automate them and turn them up for that part, but I was thinking it could sound good with that Phil Spector 'stick some reverb on and compress the buggery sound', a la the start of this
Hmm, I'll give that some thought, it does sound pretty cool. On the subject of drums, I got one person saying the drums were too quiet. While I agree that in the bridge they get just a bit lost, are they really that quiet? I'm loathe to turn the hi-hats up for obvious reasons.

Going on holiday tomorrow, so won't have time to do anything until next week. Will respond to the other comments when I get back and have more time. But thanks to those of you who have already chimed in!

enjoy your hols :D

sjm wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:Sounds good now. The only real thing I'd change (and it was my idea so I reserve the right to opine! :P) is to really emphasize the toms in the break bit at 1 min 42. You could just automate them and turn them up for that part, but I was thinking it could sound good with that Phil Spector 'stick some reverb on and compress the buggery sound', a la the start of this
Hmm, I'll give that some thought, it does sound pretty cool. On the subject of drums, I got one person saying the drums were too quiet. While I agree that in the bridge they get just a bit lost, are they really that quiet? I'm loathe to turn the hi-hats up for obvious reasons.

Going on holiday tomorrow, so won't have time to do anything until next week. Will respond to the other comments when I get back and have more time. But thanks to those of you who have already chimed in!
Do it, and also change the title to, 'Stranger Than Friction'. :scared:

On the drums - I'll always say turn em up....kick, snare, toms that is; hihats always down!

Cool track. Enjoyed the music, vibe and the lyrics.
Was drawn to the song by the title and stayed for the song.
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

The best I've heard from you yet. The lyrics are excellent! "A little poodle called Cher" :D Interesting how the chorus develops throughout and reaches an especially satisfying conclusion weaving together pretentious quotes from the subject and repeating lines from the first verse.

The bridge is a little jarring when it starts. Almost sounds like you spliced in another song. You might want to revisit that transition.

Frantz wrote:The best I've heard from you yet. The lyrics are excellent! "A little poodle called Cher" :D
Looks like that line resonantes with you lot!
vurt wrote:tbh, if it hadn't been for that line, i would've sworn this track was about me :o
If I had a penny for each time someone said that, I'd be able to buy a pack of crisps by now!
vurt wrote: but i have a chihuahua called rameau.
Sounds like we have the makings of a sequel.

As far as men's coiffures go
He hopes to sport the BoJo
He plays a damn fine e-bow
Has a chihuahua called rameau

vurt wrote: been a while since you posted anything new. so, good to see this :tu:
Yeah, it's been summer, plus I was waiting for the whole Silke F furore to die town.

Frantz wrote:The best I've heard from you yet. The lyrics are excellent! "Interesting how the chorus develops throughout and reaches an especially satisfying conclusion weaving together pretentious quotes from the subject and repeating lines from the first verse.
The "waffle" section was one of the many suggestions I got on the IL forums. The initial versions were quite different (I believe you heard a quite early prototype too).
Frantz wrote: The bridge is a little jarring when it starts. Almost sounds like you spliced in another song. You might want to revisit that transition.
Yeah, I since noticed that. Took a break from the song while I was away, and listening to it now makes me think there might need to be 2 extra beats in there or something.
fastlanephil wrote:The words are a bit cutting but there is a fun tongue in cheek attitude that keeps it humorous.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it fun!
thecontrolcentre wrote: Fun catchy song. Reminds me of early Pulp.
While I hadn't thought of Pulp specifically, I definitely get the similarities. The lyrics also aren't a million miles off something Jarvis might sing either, are they?
wagtunes wrote:Comments: Reminds me a bit of Dire Straights.
I hear that a lot. Methinks it's the Fender, the fact I don't use a pick and the way I like how Mark uses his guitar to complement the vocals with the answer/reply thing.

Maybe I need another guitar...
layzer wrote:sweet tune :tu:
i liked everything :clap:
Yay!
Allomerus wrote:Cool track. Enjoyed the music, vibe and the lyrics.
Was it the poodle called Cher for you too?
Last edited by sjm on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'll take on board the suggestions (toms in the chorus, fix the transition to the bridge). I'll also try and fix a few other things I/others have noticed: there's the odd errant cymbal hit; the backing vox aren't as tight as they need to be and fade in and out a bit.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Return to “Music Cafe”