What one bit of Music Theory was really helpful that caused your songwriting to improve ?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Voicing chords added a whole new dimension to my compositions and the possibilities are endless.

Using a IVm instead of a V7 gives a little something to cadential movement.
It also relates to the 'negative harmony' mode of thinking.

And the Neapolitan 6th movement can sound pretty cool in some pop situations.

Niklashe wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:30 pm Twelve tone theory and DNA music. Not kidding.
Twelve tone. I kid you not, stumbling upon him was the one of my highlights of 2018. His video of walking bass & what makes a chord blew my mind:)

so far, i think the two big ones for me were....

somewhere in the 90s i learned you could change keys and jump up upwards in key in last verse or last chorus to raise tension in the song. I guess its something inherited from gospel or R&B music or something. anyways, it as very useful.

then somewhere in the late 2000s, i learned "songs" don't necessarily have to follow the structure that has been touted as the "correct way".. and with the entrance of EDM and hip-hop into mainstream popular music, pretty much anything goes. I was weened on the likes of Beatles,Kinks, Rolling Stones, Randy Newman, John Hiatt, Steve Earle and Diane Warren e.t.c.. at some point in the 2010s I accepted that the likes of Outcast and the writers for Beyonce records do make perfect valid songs that should be considered a modernized extension to what constitutes "a song". The song doesn't have to follow a structure inherited from country, blues, soul or R&B to be a quality song. The computers and tools at your fingertips allow you to approach songs and their structure in a completely different way than Doc Pomus was able to. Use the tools at your disposal and break the walls that constrain you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY4s7ty ... xL&index=3
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

432hz.

blew my third eye wide open!

vurt wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:17 pm 432hz.

blew my third eye wide open!
ha!!

https://globalnews.ca/news/4194106/440- ... acy-music/
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

:hihi:

Melodies and chords are two sides of the same coin. That's not something that is obvious in the way people speak about melody as a seperate entity.

I mean, I sensed very early that melody and chords were deeply connected but one cannot be seperated from the other, unless its a solo.

I used to hear big fat melodies and wonder what sound design wizardry had gone into them. It wasn't a melody, it was melodic chords. Hmmf.
Last edited by Stamped Records on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yet, melody in Indian Classical Music or Arabic, Persian music has nothing to do with chords whatsoever, since there aren't any. :idea:

melody doesn't matter anyway.
that's something i learned recently...

:lol:

:hihi:

It's funny, I feel like I've discovered some advanced knowledge, but at the same time, I feel like a total beginner because my perspective has completely shifted with regard to what music is and how it functions. I'm excited that I've found the *dare I say* formula, but also a little disappointed that there is one. I guess it's a little like meeting your hero.

I remember a little booklet with chord progressions I found as a teen. It had a lot of formula progressions, such as what are called Ice Cream Changes, I vi IV V I, all these things. An eureka moment 'so that's why there's such unoriginality'. I hadn't thought about it for a while. My first efforts were quite derivative but I didn't care all that much about writing a pop song by age 16 or whatever. I was arranging for a singer who did, and we laughed about that. When he thought to come up with stuff more 'Yes' than 'Beatles' he didn't have a template for it really. And it was rather naive (but interesting at the time).

I don't do that; there is no formula unless you want to be like everybody else.

Return to “Music Theory”