MSpectralDynamics , is it worth it? How do you use it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For what sort of usage have you found this plugin useful? Is it worth buying now that it's in sale?

im gonna say if you don't know what its for, save your money.

vurt wrote:im gonna say if you don't know what its for, save your money.
I was thinking of using it for getting bass/kick work together, and also organ/pads with guitar (sidechain dynamic EQ). But I don't know if it's actually really good for that or not.

Imho it's one of the most powerful plugins in the world and I use it in every project. I use it to "shape" the tone, by using parallel compression. What you can get with this plugin is insane ! But it's very easy to overdo it also, so I think that using dry/wet is the key to obtain totally usable results instantly with this plugin.

You can use it on individual instruments and will get something that sounds like a ultimate multiband compressor/spectrum flattener (that's how I like to use it, but be very, very careful with the ratio or go dry/wet to keep track of the original signal), you can use it with inverted settings to include easily any instrument to the mix by creating a "hole" in the spectrum, and you can even impose a tone response to your sound. This thing is dope.

If you know how to use it, it's hugely powerful.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote:Imho it's one of the most powerful plugins in the world and I use it in every project. [snip] If you know how to use it, it's hugely powerful.
I like Melda and I like Vojtech becuause he has spunk, even though I don't agree with him all the time. I also find Melda plugins a chore to use but that's just me and my own workflow. Melda plugins do sound good and the modulation options are really amazing.

Definitely I agree MSD is an amazing plugin. I use it for all the obvious things a parallel massively multi-band dynamics processor can do and there are not many other software tools that come close. I don't use it on everything but when I need to manage noise or focus in on specific narrow bands, or manage difficult levels its often the only tool that will do the job. :phones:

Read this excellent article, in particular Part 2 goes over case use. Spectral Ducking (in other apps this might be referred to as spectral masking) is explained which is particularly cool and possibly unique and allows spectral content from a source to be subtracted from a destination allowing them to mix better as they wont have any clashing frequency content

http://soundbytesmag.net/spectraldynamicsdynamiceq/
Last edited by VariKusBrainZ on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

SiliconDeath wrote:I was thinking of using it for getting bass/kick work together, and also organ/pads with guitar (sidechain dynamic EQ). But I don't know if it's actually really good for that or not.
Well this is a very basic problem that can be (and has been since 4ever :D ) solved with any eq, comp, dyn-eq or multibandcomp. So I'd say no need for it.

Btw the melda plugin is not the only tool. Try Voxengo Soniformer (only half the price of MSD) or ProAudioDSP DSM. I'm sure you even can get that out of SpecOps (which has a massive amount of spectral effects bundled with it).

I also think ProAudioDSP DSM v2 by Plugin Alliance is the illegitimate brother of MSpectralDynamics. Everytime I try one, I'm trying the other one to see which one works best in the situation (still with the purpose of a spectral compressor/pseudo multiband compressor usage).

I also have Soniformer and love its sound, but for some reason I think it's a pain in the *ss to reconfigure in every situation, when it's a matter of a second or two in MSpectralDynamics and DSM v2.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

For kick/bass separation Wavesfactory Trackspacer would be a good choice.

Here's my really long video comparing MSD with Soothe. My conclusion was that MSD basically fills in for Soothe enough that it's not worth having both (unless you just want to). :phones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IthiwPIC378

Very interesting, thanks for sharing :D

I got the MSD. I thought it would be very useful for various situations, where 2 relatively wide bandwidth instruments (organ + guitar) are occupying same frequency area (guitar solo + organ playing chords).

Once I start using it, I'm sure there'll be more than that.

Tokyo Dawn Labs' NOVA is free—there's a pay-for version as well but the free version is incredibly full-featured.

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

edit: wait, you bought it already. whoops. a little too late on my part, then.

SiliconDeath wrote:
vurt wrote:im gonna say if you don't know what its for, save your money.
I was thinking of using it for getting bass/kick work together, and also organ/pads with guitar (sidechain dynamic EQ). But I don't know if it's actually really good for that or not.

ah, in that case, i apologise for misreading the op :)
it read like "what do you use this for? its on sale do i need it?"

but as has been answered, yes this will do what you require, whether it works for you only time will tell now you've bought it :D
but its good at what it does, so you should be good to go :tu:

Return to “Effects”