Shadows Without Substance

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
ChamMusic
KVRian
893 posts since 12 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:07 am

A little solo piano improvisation really!

Doodled at the piano...took out a 5 note motif that grabbed me...doodled a bit more...recorded it in one take...nothing has been changed at all.

Might not be to everyone's taste, this one...a little on the experimental / dissonant side!

Piano is NI Grandeur - tweaked preset called Resonant Space 1.

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... -substance

experimental.crow
KVRAF
5552 posts since 9 Mar, 2003 from The Druid Hills

Re: Shadows Without Substance

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:42 pm

:clap:

beautiful ...
love the loose timing ...
the motif is vibrant ...

ChamMusic
KVRian

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:02 am

Thank you for that...much appreciated.

Just had to re-upload as a few weird artifacts had appeared on the Soundcloud version...seems OK, now!

IncarnateX
KVRAF
3327 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:13 pm

I like it too and I find your intervals have tension and dynamics in which the dissonanses define the overall mood of the music but without taking over entirely. It reminds me of filmmusic. Could be many situations though it would not be an entirely happy one nor an entirely sad, rather somebody dissoriented or someone trying to handle an unforseen situation or someone about to do a desparate action? Thus it is like the music is telling something but I miss the pictures to find out what it is in particular. Very expressive though. You are a good piano player. Sound is a little distorted to me in the beginning but it would not mind me because it somehow adds to the cinematic undertones.

ChamMusic
KVRian

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:03 am

IncarnateX wrote:I like it too and I find your intervals have tension and dynamics in which the dissonanses define the overall mood of the music but without taking over entirely.
Thank you for that!
IncarnateX wrote:...someone trying to handle an unforseen situation or someone about to do a desparate action?
That'll be me improvising! :0)
IncarnateX wrote:Sound is a little distorted to me in the beginning
Thanks...I'll have another more detailed listen...there have been a few production issues with this....I wanted quite a resonant sound and may have overdone it!

Allomerus
KVRAF
2073 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:28 am

Lovely Mark!
Plenty of cool variations on the main motif make this an engaging listen!
Well done.
:)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

woggle
KVRAF
1986 posts since 24 Nov, 2012

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:07 am

and then suddenly it finished - too short! I was left wanting more :)

re resonant - have you played with automating the Grandeur? - looks like there are a few parameters

jancivil
KVRAF
15793 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:04 am

Very nice music.

It may be my ears going a certain way not everybody's is, but the mids seem really saturated.
I heard demos for Impact Soundworks piano people are loving that to me was so muddy in the mids - I don't mean mid-highs, I mean that 125-300 sort of range - there's no way for me. This wasn't that; both are Souncloud which I won't use anymore (after an upload I felt misrepresented what I had too far). I wonder if they're using a worse codec than even before.

ChamMusic
KVRian

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:36 am

Allomerus wrote:Lovely Mark!
Plenty of cool variations on the main motif make this an engaging listen!
Well done.
:)
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it...mildly nervous about posting such a quickly done improvised piece a such! :0)

ChamMusic
KVRian

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:43 am

woggle wrote:and then suddenly it finished - too short! I was left wanting more :)

re resonant - have you played with automating the Grandeur? - looks like there are a few parameters
Thank you.

Ha! Left wanting more has to be good for any piece! 0)

Truth through...If I'd gone on any longer I think the whole flow would've collapsed very rapidly...it's amazing how 'free' improvisation stretches the mind! :0) I had definitely reached my limit with this one! :0)

No, I've never tried automating any NI pianos, (I tend to use GIANT a lot), but it's an interesting idea as ,you're right, they do have a good range of parameters in there...hmmm!

ChamMusic
KVRian

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:19 am

jancivil wrote:Very nice music.
Thank you.
jancivil wrote:but the mids seem really saturated.
Listening again...You definitely have a point! Its not the SC codec this time! :0)

Because it was a quick improv, I didn't really take as much time on the production as I should've done! i think I've overdone the resonance a little bit and got the EQ slightly unbalanced.

My big criticism of all the NI pianos is that they are a little stodgy in the area that you mentioned...they lack sharply etched definition down there and I've never been able to sort it 100%.

Of course, most of the time, you can disguise an issue in the mix with other instruments etc...but NOT when it's solo!:0)

I'll probably re-mix and replace the file at some point soon.

ChamMusic
KVRian

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:21 am

jancivil wrote:I wonder if they're using a worse codec than even before.
They have changed it in the recent past and it's been quite controversial!

Hasn't affected anything of mine too much so far, but I will be leaving them anyway once my present contract runs out...they've pissed me off in so many ways over the past 12 months or so.

jancivil
KVRAF
15793 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 am

For almost everything I did upload for a time it was good. I would get comments, how does your upload not get ruined.

Then one day, there was a lot of bass - not super saturated bass at all, just different basses and certain of them below E if you get my drift, and it was just yooogly and, since as you imply they had made it too convoluted to really want to be there, that was the last straw for me.

ChamMusic
KVRian

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:33 am

jancivil wrote: yooogly
Great word! :0)

I think I've mentioned before about the legal issues I had with them monetizing my music without my permission and then locking off my own tracks from me saying that someone else controlled them as I was apparently NOT the copyright holder!!!

A quick legal warning from a solicitor made them shit themselves over what they'd done...all entirely illegal in terms of intellectual property rights...they apologized and gave me a free 'Professional' year...not enough as they are a badly run company who are too influenced by sponsors...

They closed down ALL groups and forums as a sponsor didn't want them.

They changed the codec at the behest of a potential new sponsor / partner.

The list goes on and on...

layzer
KVRAF
5644 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:14 pm

NICE!

really loved the dynamics and tone....
ya know, people post piano music on here
but rarely get that pleasing tone you captured here...
bravo :clap:
Last edited by layzer on Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”