UVI Drum Designer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Drum Designer

The question was whether you can use your own samples in Drum Designer. I can repeat once again that I use my own samples in addition to the ready-made factory samples in any kit with any samples and synthesizers. And I don't know why the developers answer that this cannot be done) Much worse is that you cannot import midi files into the script sequencer (

lulukom wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:51 pm The question was whether you can use your own samples in Drum Designer. I can repeat once again that I use my own samples in addition to the ready-made factory samples in any kit with any samples and synthesizers. And I don't know why the developers answer that this cannot be done) Much worse is that you cannot import midi files into the script sequencer (
I don't know how on earth you can have kick without a body element so you can use your own sample.
I've known Drum Designer for 2 days and here's one of the options to make my own instrument sounds..
-Open the Tree tab at the top
-Look for your instrument like Kiсk
-Find what its base is made of (Body)
-Choose a Body
-In the center (Tab Edit) of the overall picture you see the Oscillator (OSC) line and see what components the sound is formed from .
-If there is no Sample there, add the Sample as a plus (+)

-From the Browser on the right, drag your sample to the Sample tab (or directly on top of an existing sample)
-All, now you have one of the sound components your own sample
And this is one of many options!))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is a trial version available for Drum Designer? I can’t find one.

leroik wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:58 am Is a trial version available for Drum Designer? I can’t find one.
There is no demo, unfortunately. However, VstBuzz has 50% off sale for Drum Designer now - lasts for about 9 days.

Re-animation post!

Bought Drum Designer in the current sale. Installed it and with 5 components enabled, playing a loop eats a complete CPU core on a MacBook Pro with M1 Pro under Logic Pro with the internal audio card, according to Logic's Performance Meter. Occasional audible clicks occur. Sometimes, for no reason, it will use two cores with under 25% each.

Needless to say that In its current state, it's kind of unusable for me. So I looked at how the 100% Performance Meter translates to CPU usage. I also compared standalone and VST:

In Activity Monitor, this translates to about 35% Logic, 30% WindowServer and 35% AUHostingService.
In standalone mode, it takes about 32% UVIWorkstation and 12% WindowServer. Still clicks.
The vst in Live 11 takes 55% Live and 30% WindowServer, regularly clipping Live's Performance Meter and clicking.

For comparison: Beatbox Anthology in standalone takes about 20% UVIWorkStation and 15% WindowServer. So 10% less than Drum Designer.

Funnily, in standalone, a 512 sample buffer performs worse than 64 samples.

Compared to other tasks in Logic, I can instantiate dozens of Logic Drummer tracks, which will happily distribute the load amongst all CPU cores.

E.g. 40x the Big Room preset with all audio plugins on all 40 Group Busses activated, which means 2263 instrument tracks, 40x45 audio plugins on the tracks plus 40x9 audio plugins on the group busses and includes Reverb and Delay send effects inside each instance, including compression with side chain, which should pose some synchronisation challenge.

This all stays well below 25% CPU on all cores according to Performance Meter, which translates to Logic 130% and 20% WindowServer.

This all makes DrumDesigner in UVIWorkstation look *very* inefficient. It can't be the number of voices being played back, it can't be the audio processing applied. It will be a problem with Logic's scheduling in combination with the AU. However, I can happily use a great number of voices in DIVA, Omnisphere, Superior Drummer and others.

Long story short: anybody experiencing the same problem? Anybody found a solution to be able to actually use it in Logic on an M1 system?

@otristan: any idea?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Drum Designer is heavy as there lots of signal processing that is done in realtime. We are talking about filters, waveshapers, drive, compression, eq, convolution reverb with multiple layers for each element so it's perfectly normal is eat more than logic drummer which "just" play samples.
Samples are just part of the sound of DD and not everything is baked in it.
With great power comes great responsibility :)

Regarding "Funnily, in standalone, a 512 sample buffer performs worse than 64 samples."
This is related to how the M1 architecture is working with all its core.
If you are not that hard on the CPU, then the OS puts you on a low energy consumption CPU which has less computation amount....

In any case, the M1 platform is still new for developers and we have probably some room for improvements especially on neon optimisation. This won't happen tomorrow though.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Thanks for the context. Like I said, in its current form, that renders DD almost unusable in my DAWs. Perhaps there is a way to persuade DAWs into multithreading?

For a second during testing, Logic did distribute it across cores and it ran without a glitch. Probably moved it to the performance cores, following your description. It showed processing load on two cores which amounted to perhaps 2x10%.

So is there maybe a flag to mark processes as „non-e-core“?

We have analysed DD more thoroughly yesterday and found a missing optimisation that could explain why DD in particular performs not as well as other soundbank on M1.
We should have a fix in the coming weeks.
Stay tuned.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Merci beaucoup!

Any further development of DD?

Fleer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:35 am Any further development of DD?
@otristan ?

Return to “Instruments”