UVI Drum Designer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Drum Designer

Gamma-UT wrote:So...five years ago. And in a world where layering is very common. The UI structure doesn't even look vaguely similar and doesn't have the parametric EQ or effects setup in that prototype. The name? Yeah, maybe. But with a name as generic as "drum designer", you're not going to get far with protecting that without an actual product in the market. It's not as if they used the extra 'm', which clearly would be associated with the other Samplecraze products (that just turned up in a search).

kind of have to agree with this, struggling to see a real usp that UVI have taken?

Samplecraze wrote:Just a heads up: this company has plagiarised our IP by building as verbatim an identical product to the one we presented to them under NDA 5 years ago. My original product has been copied process by process and they even stole the name. We are currently seeking legal advice about how to proceed.

Here is the product we presented to them 5 years ago under NDA. UVI, you are welcome to contact me as my previous email to you which went unanswered.
honestly, I think you are just trying to advertise your own company right now. What you posted looks nothing like it at all and your name has two ms. I wonder how you "presented" it. For all I know it could of been like when a no name author sends in his book and it never gets read.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Not really Gamma. Their product, much like ours, includes sample nudge which was exclusive to Designer and UVI have renamed it Phase Alignment, the tone modules for layering all sounds, the transient designer, two sets of compressors, eq and so on. The point is that they tabled this product and then copied it. If I am wrong I am sure it will be pointed out to me legally. Sadly, there were 7 people involved in the design of this product and all are feeling disgusted today.

Samplecraze wrote:Their product, much like ours, includes sample nudge which was exclusive to Designer and UVI have renamed it Phase Alignment...
Try doing a drum layering tool without some form of phase adjustment or sample nudge. Just about every tool I can think of for layering transients has something along those lines - a product without it would be dead in the water. And they are not necessarily the same technique - they just have the same overall aim.

Furthermore, there is no copyright on ideas. Now, if you have some great implementation of sample alignement, then that is protectable, assuming no prior art. But all I'm seeing here is "our tool would have this great feature. Feature to be implemented".

deleted
Last edited by Samplecraze on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samplecraze wrote:But Gamma, you work for UVI.
I don't work for UVI. I have never worked for UVI. I am not a beta tester for UVI or have any connection to them other than being a customer for Falcon and some of the sample packs.

People are capable of looking at a situation from a distance and making a judgment. If you want to run around screaming "shill! shill!" that's up to you. It certainly does not reflect well on you.

BTW, I'm not ATS either. Maybe you should calm down and consider before going any further.

deleted...leaving this to the legals..

Samplecraze wrote:deleted...leaving this to the legals..
Good call. Judging by the screenshot you posted there's nothing even remotely "patent pending" about your product, nor is there anything like that in UVI's Drum Designer either, by the way. You both have the plugin equivalent of a hamburger as your product - the technology behind making one is just about as common as possible.

Well, I apologise for the vent but I was getting calls from the team. I do not want any grief with any company but this caught us by surprise. I am happy to leave this to the legals and if they feel we have no case then I will offer a public apology to UVI, but I do wish they would contact me and clarify this with 2 way dialogue.

It could be a coincidence and if so our apologies to UVI and to the members here.

I have deleted my comments and hope others do so too and am apologetic if I have caused any problems here.

I picked it up just now and was able to dig in a bit to get to the good stuff. This track has 2 instances of DD plus a DrumSpillage being played with a midi file created from DD. A BFD3 and Axon 2. It's 3 different rhythms and 4 different sound sources. :phones:

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/uv ... mo/s-LsH1d

Ok, so now I´ve tried this and just about every other drumsequencer around, and all I can say is that I´m still looking.

It´s a beautiful library with great sounds but it has a few major flaws:
  • No undo or reset function
  • Obviously no sample import, which could be very useful for some
  • Midi mapping not very usable for sample browsing, can´t map it to a single knob etc
  • Presets or samples can´t be auditioned while editing
  • No auditioning while browsing samples
  • No "transient" layer for snares or kicks (ex snaps, rims, klicks...)
  • Not possible to re-purpose a slot (ex if you want two different kicks)
  • Presets for individual drums cant be accessed in the kit library and vice versa
  • No tom sounds, and only metallic percussion
  • A randomize button for sample selection could spark creativity
  • Midi sync patchy for the sequencer playback
  • No volume controller in the main view
  • Sequencer presets change with the kit, no way to lock the sequence for a slot
  • Sequencer doesn´t support odd signatures, and can´t do polyrhythms
  • Preset list extends beyond screen height, adjust to double width (or tag browser)
  • Samples organization is ok (genre based), but a tag based system would be even better
  • Separate hi-hat and cymbal slots could have made more sense, but not a show stopper
I realize this is version 1, but some of these flaws are are major show stoppers (like the auditioning issues).

my 2 cents
Last edited by mixtur.se on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

It definitely needs an audition button.
I think the sequencer needs to be reworked. Copy the sequencer from Guru or Geist. For now, I’m using it as I would use Battery 4. The sounds are the best thing about this plugin.
Last edited by Spin Boyz on Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I´ve now played with it for a week and here are my thoughts:
http://groovetools.blogspot.com/2018/10 ... eview.html

I guess I´ll be continuing my quest for the perfect drum tool. What I looking for really is something like the evolution features and library, with the GUI and presets from Drum designer.

@mixtur.se

Thanks for your issues and limitation list! With adding all these features, Drum Designer will be the perfect tool. I hope that UVI cares about it.

The possibilty to export the drum sounds as wav file would be nice, too.

Return to “Instruments”