Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Surge is great. Here's what I'm working on with surge:

https://youtu.be/5wzbNKRERHk

Thanks to the devs, two thumbs up.

planetearth wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:37 pm
baconpaul wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:39 am On the installer size: One of the things I did for 1.6.2 is strip out ...
@baconpaul, you mention version 1.6.2, but I'm talking about 1.6.1.1, though it sounds as if we're talking about the same file, and what you're saying here explains the file size difference. Thank you for cleaning up the installer and code, I wish more devs would do that!
Yeah so sorry. Right now the production version is 1.6.1.1

The current nightly version changes all the time but we are getting really close to calling the software in the current nightly version 1.6.2

When it is called 1.6.2 the installer size will change with some pluses and minuse

The minuses are all the bitmaps we aren't using any more, and some other cruft stripping
The pluses include
1. About 10mb of new wavetables and patches from the virtual orchestra set
2. An entire extra plugin - with the FX layer from surge available as a standalone VST3
3. (Linux only) an LV2 version of the plugin

so the 1.6.2 installer will have quite different content and be quite different size.

The best way to see what 1.6.2 would be like is to go the website now and click the link which is something like "wanna live on the edge - grab a nightly" then grab a nightly!

We will definitely let folks know here when 1.6.2 ships. My guess is end of september or so.

baconpaul wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:58 am
planetearth wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:37 pm
baconpaul wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:39 am On the installer size: One of the things I did for 1.6.2 is strip out ...
@baconpaul, you mention version 1.6.2, but I'm talking about 1.6.1.1, though it sounds as if we're talking about the same file, and what you're saying here explains the file size difference. Thank you for cleaning up the installer and code, I wish more devs would do that!
Yeah so sorry. Right now the production version is 1.6.1.1

The current nightly version changes all the time but we are getting really close to calling the software in the current nightly version 1.6.2

When it is called 1.6.2 the installer size will change with some pluses and minuse

The minuses are all the bitmaps we aren't using any more, and some other cruft stripping
The pluses include
1. About 10mb of new wavetables and patches from the virtual orchestra set
2. An entire extra plugin - with the FX layer from surge available as a standalone VST3
3. (Linux only) an LV2 version of the plugin

so the 1.6.2 installer will have quite different content and be quite different size.

The best way to see what 1.6.2 would be like is to go the website now and click the link which is something like "wanna live on the edge - grab a nightly" then grab a nightly!

We will definitely let folks know here when 1.6.2 ships. My guess is end of september or so.
Excellent! I'm looking forward to it! :clap:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Surge is #1, again; you have My thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJTnVFjVoZE

Here is My latest track made with surge and My vocal processor; named the VSTplug whiteblack, more info here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=531779

We just released the 1.6.2 release, at https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/

We recommend all users upgrade.

This version contains loads of new features (tuning! support for larger and standards based wavetables!) bug fixes, and loads of new patches and wavetable content, way better support for Linux, and improved documentation. It also has an entire new plugin on Mac and Windows which is just the FX layer as a standalone effect. We've made hundreds of commits since 1.6.1.1. You can read the entire changelog here: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/changelog/

As always, we welcome bug reports or suggestions. The best way to reach the dev team is either on our slack or by opening a GitHub issue.

We have some plans to rework some of surge's innards to let us do some bigger expansions of the synth next, so we don't expect another big release anytime soon. But if we find small or critical bugs we can always fix them, so feedback really helps.

And: Enjoy!

Thanks for all your work baconpaul et al.
I assume even for those who owned the license and have been using the last version on the official website, you would recommend that we upgrade to this one?
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:21 pm Thanks for all your work baconpaul et al.
I assume even for those who owned the license and have been using the last version on the official website, you would recommend that we upgrade to this one?
thanks
rsp
You mean you are on 1.5.3 or some such? So funnily none of us have 1.5.3 series - the closed source version - so we can’t compare. Had some good bug reports from users who did which informed our development of course - and We think the synth is way improved from that vintage but you may want to keep a backup. If you do find 1.5 to 1.6 regressions we haven’t fixed yet please do open a GitHub issue.

If your version is any of the 1.6 versions though we think this is just pure improvement. Doesn’t mean we aren’t wrong but all the old installers for 1.6 vintages are on the surge synth github anyway so you can always back down

Thanks, I was running 1.5.3 on the mac. Was trying to see if I could run both simultaneously that is (yours as vst3 and the old one as vst2 using 32 lives). it worked for about 30 seconds then the 32 lives one just give out noise.
Heading to PC to check a few things before I update there.
PC was running 1.5.2
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

Oh question. Do they have the same vst id as the last official ones? That is any idea if after updating my old projects should just seamlessly substitute in your builds?
thanks

edit: answered myself. no, it uses a new vst id, which is great on pc I can use them side by side.
rsp
sound sculptist

So far except for patches like 1804 and Analyse which are a lot more resonant on the official build, the other patches I have tried sound either identical or close enough that I would need a spectrum analyzer to see the differences.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:18 pm So far except for patches like 1804 and Analyse which are a lot more resonant on the official build, the other patches I have tried sound either identical or close enough that I would need a spectrum analyzer to see the differences.
rsp
Super useful feedback thanks

The official build you mean the 15 or 16?

The 1.5.3 on mac and 1.5.2 on PC sorry.
I mean the last sold build.
rsp
sound sculptist

I am not sure if this is a bug or by design.
Load a patch...... Store it, click ok.
Surge now gives you that patch folder and subfolder below ......... surely a graphic will make sense of what I just wrote :)

That is I went to Nick's folder, choose a bass, did store on that bass.
Then went to Keys in Nick's folder choose a key patch and did a store there.
Now I have a secondary Nick folder with both Bass and Keys and all its patches again.

The secondary one is in the user data and I understand most of why it does it, except I am not sure why it then saves all the patches in that subfolder in the user data section. I would at most imagine it would save that one bass and one Key I did store on.
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Thank you so much for keep improving this fine synth :tu:
I'm going to install it in both Windows and Linux later today :)

zvenx wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:51 pm I am not sure if this is a bug or by design.
Load a patch...... Store it, click ok.
Surge now gives you that patch folder and subfolder below ......... surely a graphic will make sense of what I just wrote :)

That is I went to Nick's folder, choose a bass, did store on that bass.
Then went to Keys in Nick's folder choose a key patch and did a store there.
Now I have a secondary Nick folder with both Bass and Keys and all its patches again.

The secondary one is in the user data and I understand most of why it does it, except I am not sure why it then saves all the patches in that subfolder in the user data section. I would at most imagine it would save that one bass and one Key I did store on.
rsp
Well congratulations - you have found the first bug in 1.6.2!!!

Basically if you save a subfolder-with-path with the same name as a factory- or 3rdparty- folder with path it breaks. The break is a display-only break. ~/Documents/Surge has the right thing but the menu display is broken.

The workaround for now, when you save a factory patch, is to change the category name to something new. Then everything works.

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/1191

that's the GitHub issue I just made for it. I created a "1.6.2.1" milestone and I'll collect the annoying and easy to fix bugs from this week and we can do a point release shortly.

Thank you for the clear report.

Return to “Instruments”