Valhalla Delay released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaDelay

perfumer wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:40 pm
Seeing mholloway's post - that's exactly the point, Echoboy is not modelling anything, Valhalla Delay is. That's the difference.

Huh? You couldn't be more wrong, dude.
The entire point of EchoBoy is modeling specific hardware devices. It even contains a drop-down menu of all the available modelled devices.
11607694_800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Can't bloody wait. Valhalla have been at the centre of my productions for yrs now and I have no doubt this will be a central piece, looks excellent.

mholloway wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:37 pm
ATS wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:28 pm hmmm looking at the controls what makes it different from 100 other delays?
Other than the respected / revered "Valahalla" company imprint, not much at all, tbh. But for many, that will be enough I suppose.

I guess one thing we can't see is how many 'Modes' it includes, but that is still firmly rooted in territory that Echoboy, among many others, has covered since many years past...

I see very little reason why I'd pay for and use this instead of EchoBoy or Replika-XT, both of which have many more features than this appears to have, while also including everything this does. Hrm.
Demo it, listen to it, decide. I think this is going to sound terrific even if lacking some features found in the competition.

I'm sure it will be a quality plugin but not sure I will need it enough to buy it for $50. $50 isn't really so cheap for a delay to me. Quality reverbs seem to cost more overall.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:52 pm I'm sure it will be a quality plugin but not sure I will need it enough to buy it for $50. $50 isn't really so cheap for a delay to me. Quality reverbs seem to cost more overall.
Everyone's budget and tolerance is different. $50 is kind of a no brainier level for me if it's a quality plugin. I'll probably buy this day one with no demo just based on how often I've used Sean's prior plugins (along with the audio demos I've heard). Now if it were $150, I'd need some convincing but then again, I just bought a Boss DM-2w for that price last month and it does way, way less than this. :lol:

Vortifex wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:15 pm Aww no ducking. Should really be a standard feature these days. I'm sure it'll sound good though.
my first thoughts exactly
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:05 amI'll probably buy this day one with no demo just based on how often I've used Sean's prior plugins (along with the audio demos I've heard). Now if it were $150, I'd need some convincing but then again, I just bought a Boss DM-2w for that price last month and it does way, way less than this. :lol:
i'm sure it will be great, but i will demo first for sure as i'm basically set with my choice of delays* (+ the ones locked away in my software shed in case i feel i am missing something with my current lineup)

* at least that's what i like to think :D
then again, i'm lately somehow resisting consistently when it comes to buying new synths, be it hard- or software.
Maybe it's the same now with delays for me :help:

I am sure it will sound great, from the pics I am not sure it will add anything to my collection of delays, as they all sound great as well, I haven’t ever felt like I need better quality in the sound of my delays, but I have but new delays if they do something origonal...now I have BYOME it will be hard to go crazier on delays, and Echboy and Helix seem to have the modelling covered...so much so I didn’t even buy UHE colour copy (which seems quite close to this) so maybe I am not the gearslutz I once was, or maybe delays are just not quite as exciting as a new synth!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

mholloway wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:46 pm
perfumer wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:40 pm
Seeing mholloway's post - that's exactly the point, Echoboy is not modelling anything, Valhalla Delay is. That's the difference.

Huh? You couldn't be more wrong, dude.
The entire point of EchoBoy is modeling specific hardware devices. It even contains a drop-down menu of all the available modelled devices.

11607694_800.jpg

I am not quite sure if that is what Perfumer meant, but that isn't really "modelling" in the normal sense... they are rather rough approximations of sorts in that they are merely presets for the various "style edit" parameters. And these parameters certainly by far do not go deep enough to properly account for the differences between (say) a Memory Man, a TelRay and a Echoplex.

So if you want real (relatively accurate) emulations, EchoBoy certainly does NOT have you covered.

Besides EchoBoy uses a very different interface paradigm to this new Valhalla delay.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

FapFilter wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:43 am
Vortifex wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:15 pm Aww no ducking. Should really be a standard feature these days. I'm sure it'll sound good though.
my first thoughts exactly
Downer :?

Imagine if people had the same attitude about filters as many seem to about delays. "I already have a 12dB ladder LPF, I don't need anything else."

Come to think of it that almost is my attitude toward filters... but I love all the variations of delays and am eager to hear how good the modeling is with this one.

Now that I've seen the GUI, I've lost any interest. Not what I'm looking for.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Will have to try it first.
I actually bought two delays in the past 6 months.
One with almost any feature + more than i could think of, and a very basic one. At least based on both's specs.
And guess what: the supposedly superior be all and end all of both delays does nothing for me sonically, whereas the practically feature less one, despite also lacking internal ducking, has become one of my 3 delays i'm constantly using

I really don't understand what all the people that are dissapointed with the GUI were expecting?! - Valhalla plugins have always been about the sound and fairly simple in terms of tweakable parameters / features. If you are fine with Echoboy's sound (which sounds good but is NOT an accurate emulation of any real hardware delay) you never needed this in the first place. If you don't care about the specifics of analog delay sound, you were never the target audience for this plugin, just like someone that's fine with the sound of his stock reverb doesn't need any Valhalla verbs.

Return to “Effects”