Unfiltered Audio BYOME

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Byometrics Carmen for BYOME Unfiltered Audio BYOME

@PieBerger

The main developer is reading this thread, as well as at least one of the main preset designers. And it's not just this one plugin; all of their plugins' presets are on the lofi noisy glitchy side, with Richard Devine stuff as a bonus - where everything happens at the same time, ALWAYS.

Why do you think this is not the place to have this discussion?

perfumer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:53 pm Sorry, but you are NOT the final authority on this issue
Strawman, I never claimed to be.
no matter how aggressively you try to put yourself on top.
Stawman, didnt happen.
I would advise you to think twice before continuing along this line of argument, and with this attitude.
You can advise all you want, but but you are NOT the final authority on this issue no matter how aggressively you try to put yourself on top.

Noise is NOT music
Irrelevant. Noise IS sound, and we're talking about a sound design tool. A limited subset of music that appeals to you is not the only context for this tool.
and its applicability in a musical context is limited.
Irrelevant, and not your call in the first place.
When I and several other guys here are asking 'where are the musical presets', WE DO HAVE A POINT.
Oooh, more caps, more aggression, more strawman.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

PieBerger wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:04 pm Well this has escalated hasn't it... If people don't think that the presets are very "musical", why don't they write an e-mail to PA support and feedback back to them with some constructive criticisms instead of getting all riled up here.
Because they want to win because KING OF INSTRUMENTS!
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Pretty depressing to see how some people entirely rely on presets without exploring outside the box and trying things. Probably the same people following a recipe for 5 years and never try one day to switch oregano for basil.

Regarding the piano thing.

Two simple piano loops I made processed through BYOME. The first one is Pianoteq and the second one is a rather crappy piano sample. You can hear the dry sounds at the beginning. The dry sounds don't change, all the additional harmonics and stuff are done by BYOME:

https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/byome- ... o-ambience

https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/byome- ... -diffusion

I don't think these are all that unmusical, at least not for the stuff I'm doing.

Delta Sign wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:27 pm Regarding the piano thing.

Two simple piano loops I made processed through BYOME. The first one is Pianoteq and the second one is a rather crappy piano sample. You can hear the dry sounds at the beginning. The dry sounds don't change, all the additional harmonics and stuff are done by BYOME:

https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/byome- ... o-ambience

https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/byome- ... -diffusion

I don't think these are all that unmusical, at least not for the stuff I'm doing.
Define musical, categorically and we can let you know how unmusical your demos are :D

Nice work btw, I've been enjoying your demos while waiting for the price to be announced, before demoing myself!
Always Read the Manual!

Delta Sign wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:06 pm As I said earlier, please don't judge this thing, or any other piece of audio gear that has this kind of flexibility by the presets or demos. BYOME can do a lot of very great and useful stuff for music and for sound design.

If the demos I and others made sound unmusical to you, that's absolutely fine, but please keep in mind that those are always going to reflect the taste of the person who made the demos to at least some extend.
The included presets, for me, are nothing more than tech-demo's, and really off-putting.

Actually, it was your examples that made me give this more of a chance. Unfortunately, I am no sound-designer, and don't have familiarity with certain 'expected' outcomes that one might have gleaned from using modular environments, and multiple methods of modulation etc. And 14 days just ain't long enough to get to gips with such principles.

So, I'm probably gonna have to forget about it :shrug:

Am I running into timing related issues, i.e. the modulator is a bit late? With this preset I am testing a high cut filter per every four beats, starting with no filtering.

Put a kick with a sharp attack every four beats. The attack transients are cut. Is that something, which is normal and I have to workaround?

Oh, all those long reverb/granular examples you post. Someone needs to treat Autechre "all end" with such effects and stretch it, it's just an hour of a drone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

perfumer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:53 pmSorry, but you are NOT the final authority on this issue, no matter how aggressively you try to put yourself on top.
perfumer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:53 pmNoise is NOT music, and its applicability in a musical context is limited.
Projecting much? :hihi:

Anyway:

-- To me, the presets are kind of a curiosity. I'm not going to use most of them, if any. I agree that a lot of the presets are pretty chaotic and really situational (and that should be no surprise. Have you ever listened to Richard Devine's music?).

-- But there are quite a few basic, simple presets in there that are generic enough to be "musical" in nearly any context.

-- I recognize that some people like presets to learn about the plugin, or to use as jumping-off points, or to flip through them and maybe find something they want to use. I don't judge...

-- But it's right there in the name. Build (instead of using presets) your own (instead of someone else's) modular (which does not traditionally even allow for presets and certainly does encourage exploration outside the mainstream) effect.

I don't even use the default init settings -- I created my own template with an envelope follower and no FX. :lol:

does someone have a nice ambient starting preset which i can explore? :D do you mix always 100% wet? cause less than 100% gives no smooth mix behaviour. im a sucker for granular stuff, and thats why i mostly try out the granular effect combined with lfos/step sequencer with other modules but not so nice sounds so far.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

In the stutter module, I noticed no difference in the clickfest when changing that click prevention mode. Was modulating the stutter buffer toggle on a heavy drone.
Last edited by tapiodmitriyevich on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bought for 74 $, not enough of interest to justify the full price for me as I've allready got MeldaProduction MXXX and Native Instruments inKomplete etc etc to cover a lot of what certain modules can do but some stuff I've missed for more ambient-ish experimentation in there. :-)

Miss parallel processing (with individual panning for each parallel process), wish there were stereo offset for the frequency shifter and ring modulation. Also hoping for a chorus that sounds better to my ears and has more knobs, I find this one to be thin sounding and more like a poor limited flanger. Is it to much to hope for a module called something like "lush chorus" or something with options for the numbers of voices and subtle but rich sounding randomization between the voices? Or perhaps a type of "ensemble" effects, kind of a chorus with one two rates and rich sound?

Also when modules are set to quantized it would be nice to have an option to quantize the modulation input. Offcourse I'd also like an extre unquiantized input, but I can live without that if it absolutely has to be one or the other. Or a quantizer module to modify modulation signals with the possibility to chose a scale etc, and sets of values one can set oneself. If possible, there are probably some challenges with that sort of solution.
Last edited by Gone soft on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As for parallel--- Looks like you want parallel processing on DAW side...

tapiodmitriyevich wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:49 pm As for parallel--- Looks like you want parallel processing on DAW side...
It's fairly quick to set up, but inconvenient to go back and forth to tweak things. And then there's that extra routing (sure, we're spoilt rotten these days I know... In my defence I used to program my own sounds from scratch on a Yamaha TX81z, now I want things to be more comfortable to work with and keep track off) It'd be so much more convient to do it all within the plugin, and thus be able to save certain things as starting points etc. :wink:

EDIT: Also, I'd end up with three instances of BYOME on three seperate tracks, I find that a bit clumsy to jump around from instance to instance whenever something needs adjustment. And then there's the extra challenge if reopening a project months or years later and trying to figure out the routing (yup, trakcs can be renamed I know but it's just a bit of a hassle compared to doing it all in one instance of the plugin - which given its name I think I could be forgiven for hoping too). :wink:

^
I agree

And then it might come close to justifying the RRP
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”