Maybe it's me, but wasn't the plugin market already saturated years ago?!? aka Stop with the new plugins, already!!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The increase in new products and in abandonware suggests buyers' GAS for "shiny new" & more profit in new products is driving this churn. Hard to generalise but I see more innovation in marketing & GUIs than in algo R&D.
Last edited by Michael L on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Don't want new plugins? Then don't use them. When there's a new plugin released that's better than what I currently have, it replaces it.
You are currently reading my signature.

Also, I think there's a common delusion that newer-sounds-better, but its often just a snazzier GUI or better presets.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

do_androids_dream wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:45 pm You can never have too much choice. I love capitalism me.
:tu:

The audio software market is hella saturated nowadays, but (as long as you can exercise self control) this only benefits the consumer.

When I was first starting out in this game, Arturia was selling the Minimoog V for something like $300 (or was it $400?). Now you can get the entire V collection for less.
A well-behaved signature.

So much research shows people buy more (e.g. apps) than they actually need = consumerism.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

@JerGoertz: I think it was $249, but, yeah... prices were pretty steep back then.

Michael L wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 pm The increase in new products and in abandonware suggests buyers' GAS for "shiny new" & more profit in new products is driving this churn. Hard to generalise but I see more innovation in marketing & GUIs than in algo R&D.
Agree on both points. It seems that the plug in market is more profitable for shiny new and easy to use. Shiny new being better GUI and perhaps incremental increase in performance, and maybe a new feature.

I’m not sure if the plug in market is saturated (or outright distorting) but i am personally way less interested in the slew of same old, same old (functionally) . Especially the emulations.

People just getting involved would likely be more interested.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Michael L wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:10 pm So much research shows people buy more (e.g. apps) than they actually need = consumerism.
What one buys is rarely about need. The freedom to try out new ideas would never be possible if everything was based on need only. Society would grind to a halt very quickly. Consumerism is actually freedom.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:14 pm @JerGoertz: I think it was $249, but, yeah... prices were pretty steep back then.
You might be right. Tempted to dust off my old CM issues and check. :D
A well-behaved signature.

do_androids_dream wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:36 am Consumerism is actually freedom.
"Consumerism is a social and economic order that
encourages the purchase of goods and services
in ever-greater amounts.
"
:wheee: :o :wheee:
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:53 am
do_androids_dream wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:36 am Consumerism is actually freedom.
"Consumerism is a social and economic order that
in ever-greater amounts.
"
Wow that's deep. You should write that on something like Wikipedia.

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:08 am
Michael L wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:53 am "Consumerism is a social and economic order that
in ever-greater amounts.
"
You are quite perceptive. An anonymous deep thinker actually did write it in Wikipedia!
I would have cited the quote, but did not think anyone would be interested. Thanks!
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:28 am
Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:08 am
Michael L wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:53 am "Consumerism is a social and economic order that
in ever-greater amounts.
"
You are quite perceptive. In fact, it is written on Wikipedia because it is deep!
thatsthejoke.jpg

The irony is that the Wikipedia page presents that definition without a citation (sloppy work Wikieditors) before going on to admit there are multiple definitions. So, it's not only not deep. It's not accurate. The closest match for your supposed definition is hyper-consumerism.

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:40 amThe closest match for your supposed definition is hyper-consumerism.
Who says that definition is the closest definition to my supposed definition? I definitely don't.
And neither does Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperconsumerism
... which says:
"Hyperconsumerism refers to the consumption of goods for non-functional purposes, like buying Soundspot plugins."

M. J. Sirgy (2001) Handbook of Quality-of-Life Research: An Ethical Marketing Perspective.
Springer. pp. 140
Last edited by Michael L on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”