Classic Bass vs Modern Bass

Official support for: ilyaefimov.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello. I am looking for the most versatile DI sound for funk / jazz fretted bass (something that would make sense for Aja-era Steely Dan)The demos don't really make the comparison easy. Classic bass is marketed as a rock bass, and I guess that modern bass sounds good for disco. Would anyone have any opinions on which bass is suited for which context? I remember reading that modern bass might sound "too thin" in some cases. What are the pros and cons?
Thank you.

synchronizer wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:33 am Hello. I am looking for the most versatile DI sound for funk / jazz fretted bass (something that would make sense for Aja-era Steely Dan)
Hello! If you're after that old school sound of Steely Dan we'd recommend Classic Bass, which is a recreation of standard Fender Precision made in 1972.
official representative of Ilya Efimov Production

Hmmm my only reservation is that the modern bass has a lower string and most of the demos for classic bass are for rock tunes. I'd love to hear classic bass in more jazz and funk contexts. Is there anything else that I can listen to?

EDIT: What are the sample ranges of both, and which is better for jazz (not Steely Dan)? Also, I thought that a 72 bass would be more for their earlier albums.

synchronizer wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:40 pm Hmmm my only reservation is that the modern bass has a lower string and most of the demos for classic bass are for rock tunes. I'd love to hear classic bass in more jazz and funk contexts. Is there anything else that I can listen to?

EDIT: What are the sample ranges of both, and which is better for jazz (not Steely Dan)? Also, I thought that a 72 bass would be more for their earlier albums.
Unfortunately, we don't have Classic Bass demos in the requested styles. And we would suggest Modern Bass as more appropriate for jazz and funk music.

What did you mean by "sample range"? Please clarify.

Ah I meant how many of the notes are sampled? (lowest note, highest note). I am comparing with an older bass library and checking against some of my compositions. I wouldn't want to be unable to play sections of my music.

Classic Bass range is from E1 to D#4
Modern Bass range is from B0 to D#4

Thanks!

Return to “Ilya Efimov Production”