I want to get better in music production

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another thing, dont get caught up in making a certain style, Detroit vs Berlin techno and what not. For proper Detroit techno, it’s not just about saying “hey Ima make detroit techno.” Theres decades of history in the music, as far as background. Started in the black community with influence from disco, soul, r&b, etc... Detroit techno is quite a bit funkier and soulful compared to Berlin! Bring out the organ but dont overdo it, as then it gets too housy! Lol just make a ton of songs and youll learn on each one.

Im not really aiming on the ‘detroit’ style actually. Only use it as a influence. Btw, I try to create electro, not techno, like artist as DMX Krew, The other people place etc. I just have the idea that my chords doesnt fit with the rest that I create. I mostly play regular minor chords, but it just sounds boring.. Jep I need to focus on getting more knowledge of minor 7th and 9th chords I guess.

For example what chords are used on this song?

https://youtu.be/QZxS-aRy4Xo

Coenf99 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:25 pm I just have the idea that my chords doesnt fit with the rest that I create. I mostly play regular minor chords, but it just sounds boring.. Jep I need to focus on getting more knowledge of minor 7th and 9th chords I guess.

Im terrible at identifying chords so cant chime and say thats this-and-that chord. Compared to your song, the song in vid has a strong pad/atmospheric sound giving it space and movement. It’s soaked in reverb, giving it the shimmer/glassy reverb sound. It also has a piano with reverb on it, or at very least enough release to make it smooth but short attack. Dont understimate how fast you have to move your fingers for those notes. Im terrible at it so more often than not ill move midi notes around to find the timing, then I play with finding the proper chords/notes.

Your drum work is good tho. Just need to work on sound design to get to the sounds you want.

Butwug wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:53 pm
Coenf99 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:25 pm I just have the idea that my chords doesnt fit with the rest that I create. I mostly play regular minor chords, but it just sounds boring.. Jep I need to focus on getting more knowledge of minor 7th and 9th chords I guess.

Im terrible at identifying chords so cant chime and say thats this-and-that chord. Compared to your song, the song in vid has a strong pad/atmospheric sound giving it space and movement. It’s soaked in reverb, giving it the shimmer/glassy reverb sound. It also has a piano with reverb on it, or at very least enough release to make it smooth but short attack. Dont understimate how fast you have to move your fingers for those notes. Im terrible at it so more often than not ill move midi notes around to find the timing, then I play with finding the proper chords/notes.

Your drum work is good tho. Just need to work on sound design to get to the sounds you want.
Ive looked up a lot of tutorials today and I think I kinda have the basic hang of how a chord progression sounds good. Now I just have to keep practising to get better in it and especially in live recording. I had no knowledge of how inversions worked and it really helped me a lot! After some time playing on ableton I really had some interesting progressions which I couldnt create before

I think my drums are okay, but it needs some more variation maybe. Tomorrow I got my volca keys and I think its a great way to learn sound design on a analog synth.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”