u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Still going strong this thread it seems :hihi:

@Caine

On Sylenth1 you have the filter disabled, on Hive you have the LP selected, which will make Sylenth1 sound much brighter I suppose.

I noticed earlier today that Hive's Detune knob acts much more intensely than Sylenth1's. A setting of 15% on Hive is more like 45% on Sylenth1.
(Also noticed that is seems like Hive's filter envelope adds brightness to an already completely open filter, whereas Sylenth1's filter envelope takes away from the brightness of the completely open filter. Not sure which approach is correct.)

Caine123 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:22 pm ok guys, i might have missed some settings, please correct me then, i never did such a sawtooth test and hear also differences! i initialized every synth and chose only the SAW tooth.

Hive (normal setting)
https://clyp.it/d2oxgugw

Sylenth
https://clyp.it/y1lh3ufu

Spire
https://clyp.it/4oi3owil

Avenger
https://clyp.it/wyrxg154

i dunno why they sound so different, especially spire, i guess the default filter? i dunno, this might be no representable test, so help me then please so i can present a neutral and 100% accurate test!

but maybe you need 2 tests, a default setting test and an adjusted one?
updated!
Last edited by Caine123 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:22 pm Spire
https://clyp.it/xfflgyaq

i dunno why they sound so different, especially spire, i guess the default filter? i dunno, this might be no representable test, so help me then please so i can present a neutral and 100% accurate test!

The output on the bottom right of Spire. Warm Boost is on, that will make a big difference to the sound.

mutantdog wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:15 am
Caine123 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:22 pm Spire
https://clyp.it/xfflgyaq

The output on the bottom right of Spire. Warm Boost is on, that will make a big difference to the sound.
thx i corrected it!
why do synths do this shit when i initialize.... i hate stuff like that, when i initialize i want ZERO stuff on!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:45 pm
Use mousewheel!
I find that to be just as bad. (My own mouse goes better forward than backward, and as a gaming mouse, is quite stiff), and other than that, it's slow and feels like you're endlessly scrolling.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Caine123 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:14 am
Caine123 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:22 pm ok guys, i might have missed some settings, please correct me then, i never did such a sawtooth test and hear also differences! i initialized every synth and chose only the SAW tooth.

Hive (normal setting)
https://clyp.it/d2oxgugw

Sylenth
https://clyp.it/y1lh3ufu

Spire
https://clyp.it/4oi3owil

Avenger
https://clyp.it/wyrxg154

updated!
FYI, Hive's Amp envelope does not match the other synths.

For the sake of this thread which is really only about Hive, stop spamming images of other synths....
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:45 pm
Urs wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:24 pmhehehe, thankfully it won't save with preset though :lol: :lol: :lol:
So I found out :(

So this stuff needs to be enabled as storable in presets from your side?
Yep.

Do you really think it makes sense though? Wouldn't, say, 40x unison be better / fewer concepts clashing? I'm not really sure it makes much sense when a concurrent concept is already at the core of the synth.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 pm Still going strong this thread it seems :hihi:
Yeah, if only people would talk about the relevant things...
I noticed earlier today that Hive's Detune knob acts much more intensely than Sylenth1's. A setting of 15% on Hive is more like 45% on Sylenth1.
Depends on the number of unison voices. Sylenth might just add beyond its range while we interweave in-between the ranges. Our range is therefore a maximum you can plan with, and thus appears stronger at lower unison count than other synths might.
(Also noticed that is seems like Hive's filter envelope adds brightness to an already completely open filter, whereas Sylenth1's filter envelope takes away from the brightness of the completely open filter. Not sure which approach is correct.)
Hmmm, why would any approach need to be "correct"? Why can't something sometimes simpy be feature or a different implementation? Anyhow, our filter can open higher because it's oversampled. I think I remember that Sylenth's wasn't, not entirely sure.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:58 am For the sake of this thread which is really only about Hive, stop spamming images of other synths....
Well, if only they took the opportunity to download that wavetable I posted and did what I did in the video to check out if there were any quality differences between Hive and other wavetable synths. That would be interesting. But no, sawteeth. Damn old sawtooth challenge.

Why on earth, with this update, would anyone want to talk about sawteeth?!? Has everyone gone nuts or are they all so overwhelmed by the sheer goodness of what we've done that their brains went blank? Did the shock teleport them back to when Hive vs. Sylenth still was a thing?!? Wake up guys, this is really old matter... not news... booooring...

It's like "oh, Hive was updated, let's check out the supersaw thing. Again."

Guys, srsly.

:tantrum:

"Damn old sawtooth challenge."

I actually lol'd

Urs wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:20 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:58 am For the sake of this thread which is really only about Hive, stop spamming images of other synths....
Well, if only they took the opportunity to download that wavetable I posted and did what I did in the video to check out if there were any quality differences between Hive and other wavetable synths. That would be interesting. But no, sawteeth. Damn old sawtooth challenge.

Why on earth, with this update, would anyone want to talk about sawteeth?!? Has everyone gone nuts or are they all so overwhelmed by the sheer goodness of what we've done that their brains went blank? Did the shock teleport them back to when Hive vs. Sylenth still was a thing?!? Wake up guys, this is really old matter... not news... booooring...

Guys, srsly.

No worries, Urs. I am sure WT functionality put Hive back on the radar for many people. At least, it was the case for me.

:o :lol:

So I ran the wavetable interpolation test in Pigments, and the only two interpolation modes are your basic step and crossfade (with the obvious phase changes causing volume dips in that wavetable). The additional two modes in Hive definitely put it on top in that regard. At least, depending on what the patch calls for. For instance, if you want to step through the waves, then either will do.

Then I tried to program like for like patches in both synths, and both had different strengths and weaknesses due to their design. For instance, Pigments can't do unison oscs on the analog engine, which just seems like a gross oversight. Hive's also got those sub oscs. On the other hand, Pigments does have some nice little modulation things that are fun to play with, and I actually enjoy the programing with all the visual feedback. Though, creating a modulation connection is a lot faster in the U-he synths with the simple drag and drop from the matrix. Overall, Hive just sounded much better to me when doing like-for-like patches, and is a lot more immediate when it comes to programing.

Now, someone go and run the interpolation test on some other wavetable synths and report back before Urs decides to give up VST plugin development and goes into sheep herding.

Guys, srsly.

That made my evening... :lol:

Return to “Instruments”