Propellerhead announces Complex-1 Modular Synth for Reason

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pretty bad ass - it’s got front cables (finally)!

https://youtu.be/KJaVtEaFyUc

Check it out:

https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... nthesizer/

Complex-1 is a modular synthesizer from Propellerhead Software, bringing the quirks, freedom and sonic depth of modular synthesis to to your Reason Rack. Boasting a 4x oversampled synthesis engine, a freely routable signal and modulation path and a sound like nothing else, Complex-1 is a synth lover’s dream machine.

Product details
The modules in Complex-1 bring a mix of modular synth ideologies to the Reason Rack. The Complex Oscillator, Low Pass Gates and Shaper modules, build on the works on Don Buchla (or West Coast style) and the regular Oscillator and ladder design Filter module, derive more from the Bob Moog school of synth design. Combine them anyway you like and craft your very own unique synth sounds.

If you’re a seasoned modular synth enthusiast, you can dive right in. If this kind synth is new to you, it can look a bit daunting, but it’s actually surprisingly easy to get going. Load up any of the included patches to get you going, and start your sonic exploration there. Nothing can break, and if things go weird (like, in a bad way), there’s the undo button to your rescue.

Most people associate modular synths with lab coats and glitchy noise soundscapes, but if all you want is a beefy bass - let Complex-1 surprise you. Its modular madness aside, it’s also a really awesome-sounding synthesizer, capable of perfectly playable instrument sounds and yes, beefy basses too.

Features
- Fully-featured modular synthesizer
- Complex Oscillator
- Analog Oscillator
- Noise Generator
- Wave Shaper
- Comb Delay
- Ladder-style filter
- 2x Low pass gates
- LFO
- 3x mix modules
- Lag module
- 3x Scale & Amp modules
- ADSR envelope
- Output mixer
- Built-in sequencer with note quantizer
- Function module
- Reverb/Echo module
- Oscilloscope module
- Connects CV or audio to the rest of the Reason Rack
- Comes with over 100 expertly crafted patches to get you going

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Polyphony?

Wow...did not saw that coming. Thanks EnochLight

I wonder if the modulation busses are updated per sample ?
From the screenshot , the blue busses indicate control sources ( lfo etc ) but being modular these shoud also be updated per sample , just like lfo are audio signals with an added dc component in the real world .

Now bring us the vst version , this has to be the first west -coast inspired mod.synh ( apart from reaktor dwg blcosk ...which sounds awesome and some vcv rack modules )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:33 pm I wonder if the modulation busses are updated per sample ?
From the screenshot , the blue busses indicate control sources ( lfo etc ) but being modular these shoud also be updated per sample , just like lfo are audio signals with an added dc component in the real world .
What do you mean with "modulation bus" here?

Internally it's 4x oversampled so signals are rendered at four times your sample rate, i.e. four times per sample. It's not quite the same with the trigger inputs (because it doesn't have to be), but that's also oversampled so a trigger signal is read four times per batch (and a batch is 64 frames).

Anosou wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:13 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:33 pm I wonder if the modulation busses are updated per sample ?

Internally it's 4x oversampled so signals are rendered at four times your sample rate, i.e. four times per sample. It's not quite the same with the trigger inputs (because it doesn't have to be), but that's also oversampled so a trigger signal is read four times per batch (and a batch is 64 frames).
What I mean by modulation bus speed ?
Well the speed at which the modulations are updated ... :tu: , the cv rate in reason is a verry low 1/64 th of the audio sample rate ( this dates back from the early reason 1 days )
But since this is advertised as a modular synth, I assume it will be the same as sample rate ...just like reaktor blocks ,vcv rack etc...
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:57 pmPolyphony?
It's not polyphonic, but each oscillator can accept different pitch and there's duophonic keyboard pitch.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:12 pm
It's not polyphonic, but each oscillator can accept different pitch and there's duophonic keyboard pitch.
Isn't the Buchla Easel polyphonic? I can't remember...

I was considering between updating Dune to v3, or getting Viper or Hive.

Now I know where I'll spend the money instead :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:52 pm
Anosou wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:13 pm

What I mean by modulation bus speed ?
Well the speed at which the modulations are updated ... :tu: , the cv rate in reason is a verry low 1/64 th of the audio sample rate ( this dates back from the early reason 1 days )
But since this is advertised as a modular synth, I assume it will be the same as sample rate ...just like reaktor blocks ,vcv rack etc...
Ah we use different nomenclature here. We use the word "modulation bus" as a specific bus you'd send modulation to. Inside the synthesizer it's 4x the audio sample rate so that's updated 4 times per sample, like I said. Once you connect CV out of the synth it's 1/64th of the audio sample rate, and when you connect audio out of the synth it's the audio sample rate.

Makes sense?

killmaster wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:26 pm Isn't the Buchla Easel polyphonic? I can't remember...
No clue - I'm not familiar with it.

So will this be a VST like Europa?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

EnochLight wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:37 pm
killmaster wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:26 pm Isn't the Buchla Easel polyphonic? I can't remember...
No clue - I'm not familiar with it.
https://www.arturia.com/products/buchla ... v/overview
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

killmaster wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:26 pm
EnochLight wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:12 pm
Isn't the Buchla Easel polyphonic? I can't remember...
The hardware one? nope.
The Arturia Buchla Easel V? Yup, 4 voice poly.

antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:32 pm I was considering between updating Dune to v3, or getting Viper or Hive.

Now I know where I'll spend the money instead :D
You can't be serious... :lol:
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Return to “Instruments”