Propellerhead announces Complex-1 Modular Synth for Reason

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The more I play with this, the more I like it, aside from the VST version requests, I think
it's pretty cool and and definitely worth while if you happen to have Reason.

While theres not a tremendous amount to do, it's well thought out, if not super interesting (module wise).
I am having the most fun, substituting external audio for the oscillators and reserving them for modulation and what not. As an effect, it can do some pretty cool stuff with a drum loop or something.

For anyone who understands the mechanics of modular synthesis, it's definitely a fun instrument.
Cant wait to throw in my Eurorack HW to see what Reason can do with it. :tu:

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:01 am Yep , that's why I am sceptcal when people shout they need reason as a vst , since they don't even know how to automate the reason devices from the master host .
Rewire has it shortcomings , for example window focus etccc . but if you just want a clear reason rack with only instruments and control them all from the rewire master host ...it's already possible ..like you just found out :D
It's definitely cool that automation is possible via MIDI CC, but using this as an argument for why nobody should want Reason as a VST is stupid. It would be much, much, much easier to use, not needing two separate open programs running at the same time. You also forgot to mention the lame reality of having to save two separate session files that always have to be loaded together... or how about Bitwig users, who have no Rewire option, can't use it....

but whatever. You were right to point me toward the MIDI for Automation, and I'm thankful. But now that you're trying to suggest this is why it shouldn't be a VST, whatever, fight your silly fights.

Well this is half price this week so I bought it - sounds very nice to me and incredibly low CPU for what it is. Not as complex as Softube or Reaktor etc but on the other hand more immediate and playable.

aMUSEd wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:27 pm Well this is half price this week so I bought it - sounds very nice to me and incredibly low CPU for what it is. Not as complex as Softube or Reaktor etc but on the other hand more immediate and playable.
Finally, I have been waiting for a sale on this one :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

aMUSEd wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:27 pm Well this is half price this week so I bought it - sounds very nice to me and incredibly low CPU for what it is. Not as complex as Softube or Reaktor etc but on the other hand more immediate and playable.
Yeah, I picked it up on sale as well. Can't complain about 50% off! I only wish that Quad Note Generator Player was also on sale, as they're a great match.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Damn them. Comprehensive tutorial here:
https://youtu.be/XRbUrNEjbj4

Not sure I'll be able to resist this one. Are owners happy with it? Do you use it often, or does it sit there, untouched, together with Malström? Opinions! I've had a play with the demo but not a deep dive.

Honestly, I'm worried that it might cost me five grand in hardware.

Also: What else can €49 buy?

colonel_mustard wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:24 pm Not sure I'll be able to resist this one. Are owners happy with it? Do you use it often, or does it sit there, untouched, together with Malström? Opinions! I've had a play with the demo but not a deep dive.
I freaking love it. The only reason I didn't pick it up at launch is I had other things going on, but at this 50% off sale price it's literally a steal.
colonel_mustard wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:24 pm Honestly, I'm worried that it might cost me five grand in hardware.
Well, if you're a hardware freak and have gear acquisition syndrome, nothing is going to save you from that, I'm afraid. :D :lol:

Also
colonel_mustard wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:24 pm: What else can €49 buy?
https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-25-5 ... 1253504011
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:40 pm I freaking love it. The only reason I didn't pick it up at launch is I had other things going on, but at this 50% off sale price it's literally a steal.
Thanks for your thoughts :)

5 days to decide, I'll let it brew a little...

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

:party:

This is one of those synths that's a bit deceptive because it seems rather simple compared to, say Reaktor Blocks, or even Softube. However, they've really nailed the right balance. It reminds of the feeling I get when using ACE, but obviously it has a different vibe. The VCF isn't going to blow you way, but, it gets the job done in the west coast style patches that this thing really excels at. I think that it's a must buy if you're doing anything techno-esque in Reason.

Anything in this synth can be replaced by the reaktor west coast blocks . and throw in the monark filter for your standard ladder filter duties >
Reaktor blocks low pass gate has more features
Since both are inspired by the buchla , reaktor west coast oscillator is like the make noise dpo or verbos complex oscilator , which are both rooted within the same west coast style synthesis method .
But it's great for reason users to have some west coast stuff in their racks
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Of course, and Blocks will sound better, but, the workflow won't come close, even with front patching. Reason isn't my main DAW but when I do use it, I use it for the workflow.

Return to “Instruments”