Propellerhead announces Complex-1 Modular Synth for Reason

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like the general concept, I'd probably spend some time with it.

my 2c (hopefully constructive):

- I'd need a second quanitizer i/o for this size of system
- I'd need not just a comb delay, but a full blown syncable delay
- I'd need a reverb with lots of modulatable parameters
- I'd need a lot more modulatable parameters in this
- I'd need 2 AD envelopes / function generators. Could drop the ADSR for it.
- I'd need a much, much clearer layout

Fernando Carvalho wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:57 am
fmr wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:50 am
aallvor wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:06 pm
fmr wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:47 pm
rod_zero wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:51 pm Softube Modular...
Is a failure :P
How is it a failure?
Too much to explain in a post. Better read the proper thread.
I am interested in this too. Where is the thread?

I am using SM a lot lately, I think it sounds gorgeous. The UI could be better and the cpu consumption is high, but I don´t see it as a "failure" at all.

BTW, Complex-1 is very nice. Shame that there isn´t a vst version.
+1 on everything you said.
rsp
sound sculptist

Urs wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:07 pm I like the general concept, I'd probably spend some time with it.

It's in Reason for a reason though :ud: - aren't most of these achievable through the back panel and links to other devices? (it's like a modular inside a modular)

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:36 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:07 pm I like the general concept, I'd probably spend some time with it.

It's in Reason for a reason though :ud: - aren't most of these achievable through the back panel and links to other devices? (it's like a modular inside a modular)
Maybe, In don't know. IMHO there's something appealing to having it all in one box. So that, when people talk about it, they all talk about the same thing, no further explanation required. With anything that people need to put together, the discussion is always focussed on the single modules, while larger context becomes a bit vague. Latter is however quite important, particularly with West Coast modules, so that I'd see an advantage for a "complete" system like the Make Noise one. That IMHO is also an advantage of Softube Modular over VCV, as paradox as it may seem.

Urs wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:07 pmI like the general concept, I'd probably spend some time with it.
I think you need to look at it more like on a modular-inspired synth e.g. Ace or Bazille, rather than a full-on modular environment like VCV, Modular, Voltage, Reaktor, etc.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

My problem is that in past such things like quad generator or Complex-1 would be part of Reason 11 or similar.

Complex-1 has two Low pass gates, with each, one AD enveloppe .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

geronimo wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:05 pm Complex-1 has two Low pass gates, with each, one AD enveloppe .
Ah, yep, it's got its own env out. Is there a way to modulate Attack and Decay in some way (without switching to the back)?

Fernando Carvalho wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:57 am
fmr wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:50 am
aallvor wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:06 pm
fmr wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:47 pm
rod_zero wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:51 pm Softube Modular...
Is a failure :P
How is it a failure?
Too much to explain in a post. Better read the proper thread.
I am interested in this too. Where is the thread?

I am using SM a lot lately, I think it sounds gorgeous. The UI could be better and the cpu consumption is high, but I don´t see it as a "failure" at all.
You already listed two cons which contribute to the failure, IMO. Add to that a lousy preset browser (for which users that bought SM in the beginning waited more than a year), very few stock modules, and way overpriced expansion modules (with just a handful released).

Sure, it sounds good ("gorgeous" is hyperbolic), but so do hundreds of other plug-ins. Sound isn't everything, nor enough. And I'm done with the greedy attitude of Softube.

But to read what many users commented do a search for the main Softube Modular thread. It's all there.
Fernando (FMR)

From the Complex-1 manual:

"Attack and Release modulation
Here you could route an input signal to modulate the Attack and Release times. Positive input levels will raise the Attack and Release times, whereas negative input levels will shorten the times
."

The wires, on the front panel are the equivalent of a modulation matrix, finally.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

Thanks for chiming in Urs! That's absolutely constructive.

There was a lot we could've done with this synth but in the end we had to make some hard decisions to fit everything and take the features to where we felt there could be interesting sounds—without being too overwhelming. Reverb/delay, for example, was kept very basic (a master reverb/delay combo). We interviewed a lot of people and ourselves and realized that even in Eurorack, many people simply have them as end-of-chain effects. Maybe we can go the Erbe-Verb route another time. :)

We also struggled a lot with function generators vs ADSR. That's why both LPGs have modulateable A/R and works as an envelope follower too. ADSR is there because we still felt it was important to easily make keyboard playable patches.

The rest totally makes sense. I'm a sucker for quantizers so I completely agree with you there, I use the ADDAC quad quantizer in my system and I do miss it here. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback! :party:

Any chance of VST version? And also question for Anosou - did you guys consider releasing older Reason instruments as VST plugins? I’d love to have Malstrom and RV-7000 but currently I’m not using Reason

Anosou wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:54 pmMaybe we can go the Erbe-Verb route another time. :)
:tu:

Looks like a time wasting device for nerds to play with instead of making songs.

Seems kind of redundant to me.

Have Propellerheads finished creating a high-PPI GUI for all of Reason yet?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Instruments”