Let's talk about Barricade 4 input modelling

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Butwug wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:52 am Still wondering what the difference between saturation and compression does, as I thought saturation came from compression? lol
It's the other way round - compression is often a side effect of saturation, though many vintage style analogue compressors will also introduce saturation to the signal. But it's possible to have clean compression (especially in the digital domain) that's saturation free.

andymcbain wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:35 am
Butwug wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:52 am Still wondering what the difference between saturation and compression does, as I thought saturation came from compression? lol
It's the other way round - compression is often a side effect of saturation, though many vintage style analogue compressors will also introduce saturation to the signal. But it's possible to have clean compression (especially in the digital domain) that's saturation free.
:pray: actually that makes sense, now that I visualize what happens to the signals when I run them through a saturator vs full blown compressor.

Mr. Spock wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:40 am BTW, I used clean most of the time but recently discovered that I most prefer Barricade3 algorhythm, especially when I compared to Acon Digital Limiter (in the mastering bundle) which I demo at the moment and found superior to Barricade in most tests. Especially the low end and natural sound was better than Barricade (which sounded more processed in comparison).
This is interesting. How are you setting multi-band and stereo link in Barricade 3?

Barricade 4 took away control over the stereo-linking (decides automatically) and lost the multi-band limiting altogether... so I would suspect that to be the big difference.

I also have the Acon mastering bundle, mainly because the EQ is so insanely good—best EQ out there IMO. I tried the limiter only once on a challenging track and it sounded like a joke compared to Barricade and Elevate... perhaps I should revisit!

DeathByGuitar wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:30 am
acousticglue wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:28 am Barricade was confusing interface to me. Had to go. Same with Reelbus
Yeah, ToneBoosters V4 plugins are a bit weird, IMO. Especially EQ4 with it's overlay that covers the screen just like FabFilter's does, the lack of grid lines and crosshairs when pointing to frequencies and such...I just feel like it's a huge step back from EQ3 which was nearly flawless IMO.
Totally agree on EQ 4. Toneboosters is probably my fav developer but I was disappointed with that one.

I actually love Barricade 4's UI... that's part of why it's my fav limiter actually. Mainly I like how it visualizes the ceiling and the GR history.

andrewklimek wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:45 pm
Mr. Spock wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:40 am BTW, I used clean most of the time but recently discovered that I most prefer Barricade3 algorhythm, especially when I compared to Acon Digital Limiter (in the mastering bundle) which I demo at the moment and found superior to Barricade in most tests. Especially the low end and natural sound was better than Barricade (which sounded more processed in comparison).
This is interesting. How are you setting multi-band and stereo link in Barricade 3?

Barricade 4 took away control over the stereo-linking (decides automatically) and lost the multi-band limiting altogether... so I would suspect that to be the big difference.

I also have the Acon mastering bundle, mainly because the EQ is so insanely good—best EQ out there IMO. I tried the limiter only once on a challenging track and it sounded like a joke compared to Barricade and Elevate... perhaps I should revisit!
I also would've like an optional 3-band involvement in Barricade4 and even emailed Jeroen about it but he didn't reply. It was a nice option in Barricade3 and an advanced version in 4 would've been awesome but anyway...

Yep, give Acon limiter another try. It's really good and I can't remember Barricade sounding better in any case. I don't want the whole Acon bundle but seems I will need to pull the trigger just for the limiter.

Holy cow! I had mentioned that barricade had the percentage on the bottom for wet/dry, but I just checked and it blew my mind that it didnt have it.....it was reelbus and reverb! :dog: :dog: apologies. Im an idiot.

Return to “Effects”