Best granular VST ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wondering what are the better options for adding a granular synth to the toolbox

Ribs
Polygas
Polygon
Biotech2

ribs
crusherx

Quanta
Kaivo
Granulizer 2
The Mangle (abandoned by the dev?)

I only have Padshop Pro from Steinberg. It's nice though, really easy to use, and fast results.

Obviously Native Instrument Absynth 5. If you want something a little more high quality, then check out MeldaProduction MGranularMB as an effect you can use on any source, whether sample or synth.
<List your stupid gear here>

The Mangle - Best of the bunch but abandoned by dev. No ? needed. Buy at your own risk.

Padshop Pro - Not as good but decent enough and you know Steinberg isn't going anywhere.

The rest have relatively limited functionality as far as granular synthesis goes if your talking strictly synths. There are some FX that are excellent but they're not synths.

The best granular vst plugin is without any doubt Crusher-X. Nothing comes even close to it.
But it is not musical at all. It is made for crazy sound designers and sound manglers

enCiphered wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 pm The best granular vst plugin is without any doubt Crusher-X. Nothing comes even close to it.
But it is not musical at all. It is made for crazy sound designers and sound manglers
Does Crusher-X still have the problem of not working in some versions of Cubase? When I downloaded the demo it didn't work (no GUI) and this was a confirmed bug. I'm just wondering if they ever fixed it.

Also, isn't it still an FX insert?

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:21 pm
enCiphered wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 pm The best granular vst plugin is without any doubt Crusher-X. Nothing comes even close to it.
Does Crusher-X still have the problem of not working in some versions of Cubase? When I downloaded the demo it didn't work (no GUI) and this was a confirmed bug. I'm just wondering if they ever fixed it.

i only ever used it standalone, as an entire studio :love:
sadly the update costs get out of hand with it, expensive and complicated at first, but stick with it and it is the monster granular synth.
seriously, its that good.
but, as a synth? might be overkill :shrug:
but, you want to turn a single breath in to a sonic masterpiece? then crusherx :hail:

I´ve never had any issues with it in Cubase. Working with Crusher-X right now in Cubase 10, everything runs smooth.
Yes, its an effect, thank God..!

crusher-X is inserted as an effect indeed, but can be used as a synth too by importing audio and using the internal keyboard. So it's a monster granular hybrid, it's both at the same time.

And Iagree too, probably the best outhere. Very, very deep and powerful.

I think Quanta is also very underestimated. I myself did that mistake by sobbing it and when I finally tried it, I was blown away by the power of the granular engine and its high quality sound.

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:29 pm

crusher-X is inserted as an effect indeed, but can be used as a synth too by importing audio and using the internal keyboard. So it's a monster granular hybrid, it's both at the same time.

And Iagree too, probably the best outhere. Very, very deep and powerful.
well it has audio in, so can be used as a sampler for grains :)
at least that's how i used it stand alone :)

Top votes from me are:

Grain if you have Reason
Padshop for pads
Granite for everything else
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Return to “Instruments”