Novation Sound Collective (NI Massive + Ozone Elements)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks Focusrite and Tracktion for your generosity. :tu:

The plugin installs in C:>Program Files>Steinberg>vstplugins with no way I could see to change the path. Even though I have a different path set in the Registry the installer did not use that location which is D: 64 Bit Plugins.

However the content installers do allow you to place the 3.4 gigs of content on another drive. You just have to point the plugin to the content from within its settings tab.

Plugin does allow drag/resize. There is no VST3 included if that's important to anyone.

So far it seems like a Syntronik clone being a sample based instrument. None of the patches have blown me away yet but I've only gone through a few of them. You do get 4 Effects slots with a choice of 9 FX.

At this point I doubt Retromod 106 will make it on to my studio computer but it has given me something to do this afternoon so in this time of lockdowns and isolation I am grateful for that so thanks again Focusrite and Tracktion. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Both of the content downloaders have failed to complete 3 times now because of a "Network Error" ... maybe they are getting hammered at the moment (?) or maybe its my slow connection.

Make that 4 times now. The download failed again while I've been writing this post. When I click on Resume the download starts again from scratch. :(

I'm giving up on for now.

I manually downloaded and it went very fast, several minutes, including the content.
It's easy if you know how

just downloaded it - fast & easy

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:08 pm Both of the content downloaders have failed to complete 3 times now because of a "Network Error" ... maybe they are getting hammered at the moment (?) or maybe its my slow connection.

Make that 4 times now. The download failed again while I've been writing this post. When I click on Resume the download starts again from scratch. :(

After spending some time with it I'd have to say if you're on a metered connection or have limited bandwidth it might not be worth the trouble unless you really like the sound of the Rolands they sampled.

I used to own a Juno 60 and played my friend's Alpha Juno and I think Tracktion failed to capture the spirit of both and I'm not one who romanticizes over the old hardware so am no purist.

If I had it to do over again I probably wouldn't bother with the whole Retromod package. Some of the expansions look like they might be interesting like the "Digital 1" but I fear they might have missed the mark with them as well

It was the same with UVI's Digital Synsations for me...total swing and a miss.

But I don't want to seem ungrateful. Focusrite has offered a lot of great free software with the purchase of my 6i6 so I'm very happy with them.

I just think this latest offering is not for me. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:16 pm I just think this latest offering is not for me. :shrug:
I appreciate the mini-review. Are there any plugins you like for those Juno sounds? It seems they're having a bit of a revival with the recent Arturia, TAL, and Cherry Audio emulations.

No not really. I've got a ton of plugins that can do those kinds of sounds. I don't have any nostalgia for the old Rolands.

The only reason I regret selling my Juno 60 is I could have gotten four times as much if I had held on to it for a little longer. :hihi:

But you're right there is a revival going on right now.

telecharge wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:24 pm
Teksonik wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:16 pm I just think this latest offering is not for me. :shrug:
I appreciate the mini-review. Are there any plugins you like for those Juno sounds? It seems they're having a bit of a revival with the recent Arturia, TAL, and Cherry Audio emulations.
The Juno 106 was my first synth and I think that Roland’s plugin is very close. TAL’s is of a 60... I believe, sounds very good but I’ve never played a 60. Pretty similar and TAL’s a better developer. I don’t know the Jupiter 8 as well, but the new Arturia emulation sounds a lot better than the old one. I’m not sure I’d have upgraded V Collection for it, but I’m happy to have it as part of the bundle.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

If anyone is in need of RetroMod 106, here is mine :)
Go to www.tracktion.com/activate
Create an account and enter your code to redeem your plug-in
Your code is: IGRV10SY4RIC

You can use the following code at checkout to get 50% off any other RetroMod plug-in:

FOCUSMOD

I did not activate it yet, how is it compared to IK Syntronik?

Lesha wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:04 am I did not activate it yet, how is it compared to IK Syntronik?
So far it seems very "Syntronik"- like. I only downloaded it because I did not have a 106 in my Syntronik Deluxe collection.

Not a lot of presets included, but they do sound vintage "rolandish".

Thanks for the freebie!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Lesha wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:04 am I did not activate it yet, how is it compared to IK Syntronik?
I only checked 106 out briefly but it seems pretty different from Syntronik to me. Syntronik uses samples of raw oscillators and then sculpts those with IK's modeled filters and envelopes to make patches, whereas the Retromod sounds are basically samples of synth patches, including filter/envelopes from the original synth, that you can tweak with an additional Retromod filter and envelopes.

The Retromod patches are super basic "bread and butter" sounds, while Syntronik has some of that plus weirder stuff. With Syntronik you might be more tempted to make your own patches since the samples are just raw oscillators, whereas with Retromod it seems more about modifying existing patches.

Just my two cents.

Thanks guys.

mjudge55 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:53 pm with Retromod it seems more about modifying existing patches.
I just tried to do a simple Filter sweep: Cutoff Low, Res High, Env amount set to 100%, Slow Attack on the Filter ENV......nothing, doesn't work.

Also some of the patches have an Arp built in but I can't find any Arp controls at all so you can't control mode, range, or rate.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:08 pm Both of the content downloaders have failed to complete 3 times now because of a "Network Error" ... maybe they are getting hammered at the moment (?) or maybe its my slow connection.

I contacted Tracktion and they provided me with a Dropbox link as an alternative. Seems to be working ... 3 hours to go :)

Return to “Instruments”