donkeyt - hostile environment - indie jangle

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
5372 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:35 pm

After recent forays into 'ard rokk, the reggie, funk, and some Bazzer White stylee luuurve thing :hihi: , it's time to get back to basics. File under generic tugger frenetic kitchen sink indie; minus only possibly the ill conceived guitar solo - the attempted rockism this time being some thinly veiled wah-wah ripoff from'The Queen is Dead'.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... onment.mp3

As always, no doubt further twatting about with mixing and shite..

wagtunes
KVRAF
14812 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: donkeyt - hostile environment - indie jangle

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Ah, another DT track to listen to.

My Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 9.5

Comments: Love the riffs in this one. I wish I could play my virtual guitars this well. Somehow I think that's a lost cause. Drums could probably hit a little harder but I'm sure you're not quite done mixing this. Vocal can also come down a notch. Some work to do but love the energy in this one. Just wish it was longer.

StudioDave
KVRian
979 posts since 23 Jun, 2007 from Findlay OH USA

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:57 am

Excellent work, dt. I disagree with wagtunes re: the vocals, I think they're fine, keep 'em up front. Too many producers record their vocals too far back in their mixes. "Holy Fong, someone might hear you singing !" But wags is right about it being too short, I could listen to another minute or so.

Cool tune, great mix. The donkey tugger scores again.

Best,

dp

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:23 am

Hehe..play it again then! :hihi:

Always leave em wanting more.....

I've left the vocals for now, but tossed about with the drums a bit to make them more punchy - probably the version you listened to Dave. Sounds a bit bigger and stops them getting lost at the end there under the barrage of geetar..

Wags - I can sort you out with some midi files of picking and strumming at some point (done on my plastic guitar) which might give you some ideas - shift the notes around and stuff and look at how guitar actually looks when played etc, rather than what the VSTs generate. Let me know..

wagtunes
KVRAF
14812 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:45 am

donkey tugger wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:23 am
Hehe..play it again then! :hihi:

Always leave em wanting more.....

I've left the vocals for now, but tossed about with the drums a bit to make them more punchy - probably the version you listened to Dave. Sounds a bit bigger and stops them getting lost at the end there under the barrage of geetar..

Wags - I can sort you out with some midi files of picking and strumming at some point (done on my plastic guitar) which might give you some ideas - shift the notes around and stuff and look at how guitar actually looks when played etc, rather than what the VSTs generate. Let me know..
Thanks DT. I don't want you to go through all that trouble. Besides, I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway. :lol:

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:43 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:45 am
Besides, I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway. :lol:
Fair point, neither me really. I did know the names of some of the chords at one time in the distant past, but couldn't now tell you what any of them are apart from the majors and minors, and the odd one like Amin7 (as we had to use it in a contest recently so I looked it up... :hihi: )

Anyway, I think the mix is much better now having done some more minor tinkering - mostly more automation of various guitar bits/effects to make things more dynamic. in terms of the sections. Seems more punchy to me now.

Return to “Music Cafe”