Splice Studio1 Rent-to-Own for existing users

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was wondering if Splice.com has a plan for those of us that already own a lesser version of Studio One.
For instance, I own Studio One 3 Artist, which (as far as I can tell) would cost me $50 to upgrade to Studio One 4, but that still puts me well behind the big brother full price.

I don't have a big issue having to "rent-to-own" at full price, I just want to make sure I am not missing on a discount if one exist.
Marco Conti

I have no idea why you ask that here. Splice have a support: https://support.splice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Don't think you'll have luck with that though. Splice surely have a contract with Presonus which accounts for renting to own the full version of Studio One, and nothing else. Wouldn't make much sense to rent to own upgrades.

I think it's just the full version. chk071 sounds grumpy lol
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Not grumpy. :) I was just wondering, because Splice support would be the first contact point for me when i had a question about this kind of thing.

You should be able to upgrade straight from SO 3 Artist to SO 4 Professional. If you do it during a sale (30 - 50% off), that's a much better deal than paying the full price in installments at Splice.

Thanks for the replies.

Chk071, the reasons I am asking here are twofold:

1) I could not find any kind of support at Splice. I clicked on the Email icon, nothing happened, I went to "Community" it was nothing like a place for questions. It's entirely possible I missed an obvious place to ask (if I recall I was fixing my wife laptop while also browsing splice and KVR).

2) Someone from Splice was answering questions on KVR about the rent to own program (but not about Studio1, some plugin they also sell) and I thought that maybe they had a flag on their program being discussed here and elsewhere and maybe I could get an answer faster that way.

If anyone has a direct link to a place I could ask on Splice, I'd be much obliged.

AdvancedFollower, you make a lot of sense with your advice, but let's just say that for various reasons my liquidity goes up and down. Some months I make a lot of money, other months I don't. My wife is permanently disabled and unable to work, so I have been carrying a two income household with my single job on my own for some time. I can afford $16 a month, but I cannot be sure I can spend the money when the sale comes around.

Also, I am a hobbyist. I find Studio1 to be the most intuitive DAW I have ever tried, the one where I could record my musical ideas the fastest on, but since I only had Studio One 3 full in demo mode for a few days I cannot be sure that once I have it it will be the solution to my creative aspirations.
The rent2own system allows me to cancel when I want should I decide it's not the DAW but my own lack of creativity at fault.

At the same time, if you know when the next big sale is going to be, I could try planning for it.
Music is but one of my hobbies and one where I am not very lucky. My attempts to set up a home studio have been almost comical (rectification: comical for anyone else but me. I may have to write a post about that one day as I don't think the amount of bad luck I have had is normal).

Anyway, thank you all again. Maybe I'll stick with Mixcraft or switch back to Cakewalk (once they fix the interface a bit), and maybe I can test Studio One for a couple of Months and then buy a discounted full version.

Still, even in that case if I could save an extra $50 due to owning a previous version, why not taking advantage of it?
Marco Conti

I had it, they were outside of of any other Studio One interests.

Studio One is TERRIFIC and the sub is ACE. They allow you to cancel at any time (which I did) and will allow you to experience the program w/o tricks or nonsense. The only reason I canceled is because for all the fantastic things Studio One does, I didn't make any music with it. I got caught up in all the bells and whistles and never got anything done. Already owning Reason, I just simply felt it was best to "fall back" so to speak.

If you are interested in Studio One (again, highly stable and a very good program) I'd recommend the splice option HEAVILY. Good company, highly recommended.

Thank you reggie1979, I actually make music with my Studio One 3 Artist version, the only bells and whistles I am interested in are little things like VST support so I can use the plugins I bought (some of them outdated, but I will update them if I switch to a new 64bit platform) and the built in arpeggiator, which helps my clumsiness on keyboard.
Right now I have a AKAI MPK mini with an arpeggiator but it doesn't slave (that I could figure out) and even given the same BPM it goes off a bit. My hope is that the built in one will be more productive for me.
Then of course I'd like to have all the instruments. I am using Mixcraft right now for most of my music, but the built in instruments are not comparable with Studio1. They re not terrible, but not as good.

What I am looking for is a DAW I can learn quickly and rely on so that when I want to make music I am not spending 3 hours setting up the darn thing and 20 minutes making music. Studio1 has one thing going for it: it's intuitive. Much more so than anything I have tried before.

Incidentally, I used to own Reason, back when it was coal powered and made of brass and carved wood, but the lack of audio stopped me from updating it. Even when they added audio and VST support I didn't hear great things about those features. Gread DAW for dance music, but that's not my genre.

Thank you for your viewpoint on this.
Marco Conti

I hate to say it, because your mileage may very, but I gave up Studio One splice to get back to Reason. Why?

I make more "music" with it.
It does virtually everything I need, even if some of it is cumbersome.
I feel more at home.

That's not something that I expect everyone to relate to. YMMV, is strong here. But I think that it is kosher in the audio department.

Christ, Give the demo a whirl. You have nothing to loose.

sale! 30% https://shop.presonus.com/software/Soft ... Studio-One
Get 30% off Notion and Studio One

This St. Patrick’s Day discount is available March 17, 2019 through March 23, 2019.
This offer excludes crossgrade, EDU, and Add-Ons.
UPGRADES ARE INCLUDED!
Offer available worldwide!
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

XBITZ thanks for the heads up. This may be a good idea for me. $210 would upgrade me from the Artist version to the Pro version (if I read it correctly). That's not quite in my budget, but if I can squeeze an overdue payment from one of my clients, I may just be able to do it.

Then again, I may want to pay $16 a month for a couple of cycles so I can make sure Studio One 4 is indeed the platform for me. No 14 days trial does justice to a upper end DAW and Artist is so limited it might as well be a different .

I am really torn, I hate begging from my own money with clients that show no compunction with making me work on a Sunday for an emergency that exist only in their own minds, but then get finger cramps when it's time to pay. I did a small job worth $400 that's "off the books" so to speak (meaning, my wife and CFO of the family cruise ship wasn't counting on it) and if they pay not only I can buy Studio One, but I may have enough left over to buy something else, like another MIDI controller since mine has several non working keys.

Well, thanks for the link. looks like I have a few days to decide.
Marco Conti

Hi Reggie1979, I totally understand where you are coming from. When I used Sonar (again, the horse drawn version, before the steam powered update was released, I think was Sonar 4 or something) I had invested time in learning all the idiosyncrasies and you couldn't pry me off it with a crowbar.

I noticed there is a bit of fanboysm going on on KVR, with users of that software bully the users of that other software and take it way to seriously, like what software you use defines who you are.

In reality, the best software is the one that you feel more comfortable with. Period. If that software for you is Reason, more power to you. As I mentioned, I used to own it myself and at the time I loved it. Still would if it run on my machine (I doubt it would, we are talking late 90s early 2000). Maybe I will download the demo, but I am a guitar player and singer, it may not be the best choice for me, but then again, I couldn't say.
Regardless, I probably couldn't afford it anyway. They probably would laugh at me if I asked to upgrade my old license. I am sure the email I registered under has been inactive for at least a decade.

Anyway, good luck with your music, because at the end, it's the music that counts.
Marco Conti

conticreative wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:53 am Hi Reggie1979, I totally understand where you are coming from. When I used Sonar (again, the horse drawn version, before the steam powered update was released, I think was Sonar 4 or something) I had invested time in learning all the idiosyncrasies and you couldn't pry me off it with a crowbar.

I noticed there is a bit of fanboysm going on on KVR, with users of that software bully the users of that other software and take it way to seriously, like what software you use defines who you are.

In reality, the best software is the one that you feel more comfortable with. Period. If that software for you is Reason, more power to you. As I mentioned, I used to own it myself and at the time I loved it. Still would if it run on my machine (I doubt it would, we are talking late 90s early 2000). Maybe I will download the demo, but I am a guitar player and singer, it may not be the best choice for me, but then again, I couldn't say.
Regardless, I probably couldn't afford it anyway. They probably would laugh at me if I asked to upgrade my old license. I am sure the email I registered under has been inactive for at least a decade.

Anyway, good luck with your music, because at the end, it's the music that counts.
Much truth. But I'm not sure you understand where I'm coming from. LSS, Studio one is terrific. It's MORE than capable of providing any music maker of what they want. I'm only saying that Reason fits me better for what I do than anything else.

Frankly, I feel that it's hard to f....k up your flow these days, as that many an option is available for all for a fee (even though that fee might be cheap)

In the end this thread was about splice and studio one, which is kosher w/o a doubt.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”