XLN Audio news?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Daniel Darabos wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:05 pm I just want to note that Algonaut Atlas didn't invent the t-SNE drum map. It's from a 2017 Google AI experiment. (https://experiments.withgoogle.com/drum-machine) I think that's where both companies took the idea it from.
Interesting. Just had a play with the Google thing. Not sure if I hate it or I love it.

Get a flying start to your beatmaking with XO’s inspiring presets and 8000+ hand-picked factory samples.
Good. It's not like I don't already have half a billion one-shot samples of drums and percussion. :neutral:

XO Looks interesting, but $179, No...

loungepanda wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:12 pm
Get a flying start to your beatmaking with XO’s inspiring presets and 8000+ hand-picked factory samples.
Good. It's not like I don't already have half a billion one-shot samples of drums and percussion. :neutral:
But are yours hand-picked?

i wonder if their fingerprinting is better than Atlas's. from my experiments with Atlas, while it generally works fine, sometimes it places sounds close to each other that sonically are nothing alike, and vice versa. at $179 i'm not buying this, but maybe i'll pick it up on one of those Black Friday sales if i like it enough. the featureset looks awesome and IMO far surpasses Atlas at this point (if it works as advertised!). i'm sure Atlas will catch up though.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

No doubt they will add a sequencer and whatnot to Atlas at some point. Especially with the
introduction of XO. Say what you want about Atlas, I haven't tried XO, but Atlas has practically
0 impact on system resources once populated, which is good imo...

i think XLN was developing this tech for a while though. their Addictive Trigger already has some kind of audio fingerprinting tech, and that came out in 2016 at least.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

how active is XLN though? i dont see them very active in updates/upgrades and atlas seems to get more and more love.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

they have released quite a few libraries for Addictive Drums 2 at this point, but i can't say whether they've added new features into AD2 (i don't own it). presumably, XO is self-contained enough that they'll only add new sound libraries to it, but not new features.

i've done a quick demo.

can't say anything with regards to included sounds, i wanted to put XO and Atlas on even playing field by analyzing the same set of samples. sample analysis seems more accurate than that of Atlas, but it too does mislabeling and weird sample positioning too. auditioning samples by simply dragging your mouse around a-la Google AI experiment is very convenient, and there are a lot of neat and useful features in the sequencer, plus there are FX and other stuff, and the GUI is well-designed and easy on the eyes... but it's not resizable and feels extremely cramped. there's too much going on in too little space.

Atlas has resizable interface, which will work to its advantage once it catches up with XO in terms of features. at this stage, even though i like XO better in a lot of aspects, i'm quite happy with Atlas, so i've deleted the XO demo.

Caine123 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 pm how active is XLN though? i dont see them very active in updates/upgrades and atlas seems to get more and more love.
But yet, after all that love, XO already has more features.

People can update as much as they like, but it doesn’t make it a better product.

As for XLN with their other products, they have periodic updates for bug fixes, but mostly the feature set is done... and IMO that’s not a bad thing because they tend to only release fully featured products.

***EDIT*** Just to clarify... I’m not saying XO is better than Atlas, but just saying update cycles shouldn’t be considered the main selling point IMO. These are just different companies with different sets of goals to sell their products.

Wonder if it can scan DRM protected samples, for examples the ones included in Ableton live.
dedication to flying

Burillo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:28 pm i wonder if their fingerprinting is better than Atlas's. from my experiments with Atlas, while it generally works fine, sometimes it places sounds close to each other that sonically are nothing alike, and vice versa. at $179 i'm not buying this, but maybe i'll pick it up on one of those Black Friday sales if i like it enough. the featureset looks awesome and IMO far surpasses Atlas at this point (if it works as advertised!). i'm sure Atlas will catch up though.
Maybe I did something wrong, but when I tried Atlas it seemed to me to be grouping things almost at random. I had almost identical sounds end up far apart, and I believe I even had duplicate sounds end up a ways apart (could be wrong about that one). Maybe it's improved since the beta, but I was not impressed.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Burillo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:28 pm i wonder if their fingerprinting is better than Atlas's.
Curious to know if you find out about it...

rod_zero wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:33 pm Wonder if it can scan DRM protected samples, for examples the ones included in Ableton live.
No, it doesn't. At least not the Ableton Live ones.

Return to “Instruments”