Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
3277 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:16 pm

I‘m confused, what shall I use?

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

nordickvr
KVRian
1056 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:22 pm

What would you want to do?
Two of them offer loops/sounds etc.
The other one takes care of (manages) the audio files residing on your HDDs.

User avatar
Rivanni
KVRist
69 posts since 4 Feb, 2017

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:36 pm

Loopcloud can also solely be used to manage samples on your own drives. I like it better then ADSR's sample manager.

If you want to manage and buy online samples there's Noiiz.com + Plugin too.

But first tell us what you want to do.

nordickvr
KVRian
1056 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Rivanni wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:36 pm
Loopcloud can also solely be used to manage samples on your own drives. I like it better then ADSR's sample manager.
...
Stand corrected.

User avatar
planetearth
KVRian
1488 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:31 pm

I tried ADSR's over the weekend, as I was downloading Loopcloud's. I found ADSR's to be quite limited in the types of files it recognizes, and the amount of info it gives you about the loop. For example, it doesn't recognize .REX, .FLAC, .OGG or other audio file formats, and it doesn't show you the path to the loop, in case you want to get to the file itself. Other than that, it's pretty quick at the initial indexing (in my case, anyway), and quick to use.

I suspect Loopcloud's will be even more limited, since it's primarily a tool for the loops they sell. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. I'm just a bit surprised that it's 2019 and we still don't have a full-featured, platform (and loop producer)-agnostic sample librarian/manager.

Steve
Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife.

starflakeprj
KVRian
925 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm

You downloaded Loopcloud but didn't test it?

Besides WAV it supports REX/RX2 and MP3, possibly also FLAC and OGG (but I cannot confirm that now).

It has support for finding the key of you samples, not only by reading the file name (as far as I know).

And I think that you in v4 can chop up samples and play it on your keyboard (not 100% sure since I haven't tested this version yet).

Anyway, Loopcloud is lightyears ahead of ADSR's counterpart.
Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | 3 x Nvidia GTX 780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Arturia AudioFuse | M-Audio Code61
Studio One 4.1 | Reason 10.2 | Bitwig Studio 2.4 | Reaper 5.95 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20 | 460+ VSTs | 170+ Rack Extensions

User avatar
planetearth
KVRian
1488 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:27 pm

starflakeprj wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm
You downloaded Loopcloud but didn't test it?

Besides WAV it supports REX/RX2 and MP3, possibly also FLAC and OGG (but I cannot confirm that now).

It has support for finding the key of you samples, not only by reading the file name (as far as I know).

And I think that you in v4 can chop up samples and play it on your keyboard (not 100% sure since I haven't tested this version yet).

Anyway, Loopcloud is lightyears ahead of ADSR's counterpart.
Yeah, I haven't had time to test it. May get to tonight, but honestly, after the disappointment with ADSR's "manager", I'm not in any real hurry.

The video for LoopCloud says you can chop up samples and play them on they keyboard, and that's all well and good--especially for the "DJ/Producer" in the video. And this may be great for most of LoopCloud's/Loopmaster's target market: DJs and self-titled "producers". But for anyone else trying to manage or categorize older samples (not necessarily loops) collected over the years, being tied to Loopmasters and/or ADSR may not help much.

A couple of months ago, I thought I saw a plug-in available for freesound.org, or some similar site. Does anyone remember anything like this? I think it let you search and download samples from within your DAW--or without using a web browser, at any rate. I could certainly use that right now, since freesound.org has a lot of spoken-word, SFX and otherwise bizarre sounds that Loopmasters, Sounds.com and ADSR just won't have.

Steve
Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife.

JiggSaw
KVRist
42 posts since 28 Jun, 2004

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:51 pm

planetearth wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:27 pm
starflakeprj wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm
You downloaded Loopcloud but didn't test it?

Besides WAV it supports REX/RX2 and MP3, possibly also FLAC and OGG (but I cannot confirm that now).

It has support for finding the key of you samples, not only by reading the file name (as far as I know).

And I think that you in v4 can chop up samples and play it on your keyboard (not 100% sure since I haven't tested this version yet).

Anyway, Loopcloud is lightyears ahead of ADSR's counterpart.
Yeah, I haven't had time to test it. May get to tonight, but honestly, after the disappointment with ADSR's "manager", I'm not in any real hurry.

The video for LoopCloud says you can chop up samples and play them on they keyboard, and that's all well and good--especially for the "DJ/Producer" in the video. And this may be great for most of LoopCloud's/Loopmaster's target market: DJs and self-titled "producers". But for anyone else trying to manage or categorize older samples (not necessarily loops) collected over the years, being tied to Loopmasters and/or ADSR may not help much.

A couple of months ago, I thought I saw a plug-in available for freesound.org, or some similar site. Does anyone remember anything like this? I think it let you search and download samples from within your DAW--or without using a web browser, at any rate. I could certainly use that right now, since freesound.org has a lot of spoken-word, SFX and otherwise bizarre sounds that Loopmasters, Sounds.com and ADSR just won't have.

Steve
You can categorize all samples on your hard drive. It's not limited to loops. It also has a pretty robust tagging system (genre, instrument, manufacturer, etc.). You can also create your own tags if you want. I tested ADSR over the weekend and just started testing Loopcloud 4.0 today. Needless to say, I'm about to uninstall ADSR. What sucks about Loopcloud is that it takes awhile to analyze all your samples if you have a lot. In my case that's over 100k. So it's been analyzing samples all day.

Basil Rush
KVRist
42 posts since 16 Jul, 2010

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 pm

Steve -

Loopcloud should work with your library. We support REX, and I just had to check, but also OGG, FLAC and M4A.

You don't have to use the Loopmasters store unless you want to.

And the analysis takes a long time with big libraries. It does a lot of work figuring out the key and bpm of everything. We have a plan to optimise it, but that won't happen for a few months as we a couple of other things to do first.

cheers, Jim.
Devious Machines

Caine123
KVRAF
5659 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:52 pm

Dont want to hijack the topic but can both check themselves the root/keynote and adjust it processed?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

User avatar
topaz
KVRAF
4366 posts since 15 Jul, 2001 from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, U.K

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:44 am

Loopcloud, extremely powerful, great editing, fast and stable. In fact I stopped using the very expensive audio finder.

And of course it’s free. Job done.

User avatar
topaz
KVRAF
4366 posts since 15 Jul, 2001 from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, U.K

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:48 am

Cool feature request, randomise/reorder loops ;-)
Basil Rush wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 pm
Steve -

Loopcloud should work with your library. We support REX, and I just had to check, but also OGG, FLAC and M4A.

You don't have to use the Loopmasters store unless you want to.

And the analysis takes a long time with big libraries. It does a lot of work figuring out the key and bpm of everything. We have a plan to optimise it, but that won't happen for a few months as we a couple of other things to do first.

cheers, Jim.

User avatar
planetearth
KVRian
1488 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Basil Rush wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 pm
Steve -

Loopcloud should work with your library. We support REX, and I just had to check, but also OGG, FLAC and M4A.

You don't have to use the Loopmasters store unless you want to.

And the analysis takes a long time with big libraries. It does a lot of work figuring out the key and bpm of everything. We have a plan to optimise it, but that won't happen for a few months as we a couple of other things to do first.

cheers, Jim.
Thanks for the follow-up, Jim! I was pleasantly surprised to see that LoopCloud handled all the loops and samples I threw at it, and I did see where I could choose to reference my own samples and/or the ones online. So far, I'm quite impressed.

Now I'm going to see how it handles old Fairlight CMI and Emulator samples. :wink:

Steve
Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife.

SoundPorn
KVRian
697 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Loopcloud imo is incredible at detecting the key of a sample and has a transpose option which can be auto set to a root note like say D, so every sample you preview is transposed to D, and at the same time you can sync the loops to a BPM too
Caine123 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:52 pm
Dont want to hijack the topic but can both check themselves the root/keynote and adjust it processed?

User avatar
planetearth
KVRian
1488 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Re: Loopcloud vs. ADSR Sample Manager vs. Sounds.com

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Basil Rush wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 pm
Steve -

Loopcloud should work with your library. We support REX, and I just had to check, but also OGG, FLAC and M4A.

You don't have to use the Loopmasters store unless you want to.

And the analysis takes a long time with big libraries. It does a lot of work figuring out the key and bpm of everything. We have a plan to optimise it, but that won't happen for a few months as we a couple of other things to do first.

cheers, Jim.
Jim, do you happen to work with (or for) Loopcloud? If so, do you know what the licensing restrictions are (if any) on the free content? Are users able to use the free content (including what's given away in the "Welcome Pack") in commercial projects for free? There's nothing in the .ZIP file or on the site about licensing or royalty issues.

Steve
Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”