Cubase Pro 10 What can I use from it in other DAWs?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cubase has a 50% sale on at the moment, I'm wondering if I purchase it what would I be able to use in the manner of samples and vst instruments from it in other DAWs? I'm not really interested in it as a DAW.

Q1. Are the sample libraries that are installed with with Cubase Pro 10 in a format that can be read and used by other DAWs?

Q2. Are there any VSTs that come with Cubase Pro 10 that can be used from other DAWs?

Thanks

D
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

1) You may want to check out Halion 6 full, which has a 30-day unrestricted demo. It works in any DAW. I appear to have a license for Halion SE which escapes me, its content isn't installed.

additionally there is Padshop Pro and Retrologue. It's all bundled in 'Absolute', and probably the 30-day trial applies for any of it.
But as to taking advantage of the sale to get the instruments, what comes in it is not in a format to travel to other DAWs.

Whilst the Cubase content is in a propriety format, you could drag samples you like into your project then render it to audio. Bit of a rigmarole to mess around like that.
As Jan said, get HALion.

Thanks for the info and halion suggestion.

D
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

I can use Halion Sonic SE3, Retrologue and Padshop in any DAW. For Halion Sonic SE3 I had to download the free standalon installer from the Steinberg website.

Googly Smythe wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:25 pm Whilst the Cubase content is in a propriety format, you could drag samples you like into your project then render it to audio. Bit of a rigmarole to mess around like that.
As Jan said, get HALion.
I thought Retrologue and Padshap would work in other hosts too - are you sure what you just stated here is correct?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:36 am
Googly Smythe wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:25 pm Whilst the Cubase content is in a propriety format, you could drag samples you like into your project then render it to audio. Bit of a rigmarole to mess around like that.
As Jan said, get HALion.
I thought Retrologue and Padshap would work in other hosts too - are you sure what you just stated here is correct?
I meant the "content", all the sample loops and stuff, not the instruments. :)

Yep, the content is proprietary, its format is .vstsound.
It appears Halion Sonic SE license, which is good for the content, is free. Which explains why it's on my dongle. :)

I think I'll test that hypothesis, anyway. Part of Sonic SE 3 content is two Reverence "ImpulseLibrary" files.

Padshop for anything other than internal to Cubendo is Padshop Pro, isn't it? Which costs money apart from Cubase or Nuendo,

re. Q2 - I think Padshop and Retrologue can be opened in other DAWs, because they're 'normal' VSTs, however you need to have the e-Licenser present for them to work
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

That's right.

As long as you have the license on the dongle (some items can live on the soft e-licenser) the instrument, they're VST3, should load and do everything the same. At any rate I did test it in REAPER, it's the same. You won't do a Cubase or Nuendo trial and except to exceed the trial license date in any way.

The only items from a full installation of Cubase 10 Pro that can be seen by other DAWs are the Padshop and Retrologue VST3s. The remainder of the bundled plugins are almost all VST3s but installed in a non-standard folder - you might be able to copy them into the normal location for VST3s, but this would be unsupported if it worked at all.

Halion Sonic SE with the basic factory content is free. If you install the free version of Halion Sonic SE, the additional Halion Sonic SE content bundled with Cubase Pro should work in other DAWs as Reefius notes. However, there is far less Halion content bundled with Cubase Pro than with a full (paid for) version of Halion Sonic or Halion.

The loops and other content are all in proprietary formats - as Googly Smythe says, you'd have to render them in Cubase before exporting them. It's such a hassle that you're unlikely to bother.

It really doesn't make sense to buy Cubase Pro just for the content. You're better off buying Halion Sonic 3, Halion 6 (same as Halion Sonic 3 but with scripting and instrument creation facilities) or Absolute 4 (Halion 6, Groove Agent 5 plus a selection of add-ons and other Steinberg VST instruments). Unfortunately none of these are on public sale, though there is currently 30% off Halion 6 if you are subscribed to the Steinberg newsletter. I believe there are sales on Dorico, WaveLab and Iconica coming up in the next few weeks - subscribe to the Steinberg newsletter if you are interested.

David W wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:25 pm The only items from a full installation of Cubase 10 Pro that can be seen by other DAWs are the Padshop and Retrologue VST3s. The remainder of the bundled plugins are almost all VST3s but installed in a non-standard folder - you might be able to copy them into the normal location for VST3s, but this would be unsupported if it worked at all.
None of them work in other DAW's, as far as i know. Only Padshop and Retrologue.

Halion Sonic SE 3 opened in REAPER. Getting the content to work is not as simple a matter, but this is true in Cubase and Nuendo. Due to the haphazard organization of a normal install of either. It's a mess.

NB: this is on Mac OS, where there is no confusion as to where VST3 folder is; it's in the one place, so REAPER sees exactly the same thing Cubendo does.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon May 13, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”