N.I. Straylight...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In the past, Kontact would time out around 10 or 15 minutes
when using demo content. And 30 minutes allowed on the rest of their instruments. Very generous I think, and thorough testing inspired many purchases.
Cheers

I fired this up the other night, for the first time in ages, and I was really struggling to work out why I thought it was any good. I was just after a droney thing to put under some vaguely symphonic strings and everything I tried was meh. So then I tried Concept 2 and found several things that were really good in just a few minutes. If I'm honest, I probably bought Straylight because the GUI looks so freakin' cool.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Straylight is a lot of fun but I've been enjoying Pharlight a lot more; I think a lot of the soundscape-y sounds in Straylight can be found in many other NI products, but as far as I'm aware Pharlight is really the only product that has a good range of choir sounds (apart from those cheesy choirs in the Kontakt Factory Library).

I must say, both of them eat my CPU up though, 6-note polyphony on many patches gives me glitches and crackles even on a 512 buffer size...
multi-platinum music producer / songwriter
https://www.takaperry.com

I like it. It has some really cool sounds and a sexy UI. It can sound a bit harsh in the higher registers tho so it requires some mixing effort. But I like it enough to buy Ashlight some time in the future.

takaperry wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 amI must say, both of them eat my CPU up though, 6-note polyphony on many patches gives me glitches and crackles even on a 512 buffer size...
I find Straylight is incredibly variable. Some patches use obscene amounts of CPU but others almost nothing. I find it weird because it's not the kind of instrument that should be so variable, I wouldn't have thought.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Did anyone cross grade to Ashlight?? I just grabbed it myself, couldn't resist. I have yet to mess with it, though.

Return to “Instruments”