donkeyt- M621 - retro(ish) pop-rokk

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After finishing my last collection of stuff, ahem, 'The Importance Of Being Donkey' (gratuitous plug, get it at; https://donkeyt.bandcamp.com costs thee nowt!) , I've had a bit of a break and just finished this first new one for the next round. Cannibalised some bits of an old song I binned off for being a bit crap, added some sub-Bowie bit and poor man's U2 guitar, and Bob's yer dad.. This might still be crap, but it'll be better recorded crap at least...

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/donkeyt-m621.mp3

Usual tinkering and tidying up to follow no doubt.

My Feedback

Music - 9
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 9.5

Overall - 9.5

Comments: Yay, first one to comment. Longer than your usual stuff. Love the vocal FX on this one. Nothing is sticking out as needing "fixing" but I know you're a lot pickier than I am. Musically, kind of on the dreamy side. I don't picture this as a single, mostly due to length, but great album track.

I like it, it reminds me of the Doors but with an early 80's vibe. I like the bridge section where it spaces out also. Nice sound and cool song.

I enjoyed your song. It sounds fine to me.

It sort of sounds like it could be a Pete Townsend song as far as the basic song structure and feeling.

Reminds me of this donkey tugger tune, I can't remember the name, but particularly the way you sing the "falling out of space" line has echoes of something else. Now if you just dump the bumptiddy drums for something with more punch and run the snare through some FX , it would sound early 80s... there is a certain something there that has a hint of Bad Bowie.

the mix is pretty good. Props to that, mate :D

I really, really like your arrangements, the energy changes, vocal fx, mixing is very good too. Yet another quality contribution. A sign of talent is a consistently high standard. I think if you got a couple of backing singers in there and your songs were more widely known you could attract a crowd.

Thanks for listening and the comments. Finally got round to making a few changes (mostly making the drums a bit more aggressive in the louder parts, with a bit more top and less bottom of the snare - same link) after Pakistan vs Sri Lanka was washed out in the cricket today so I was at a loose end and forced to do something else...

Luckily I thought to check this thread to see what you've done - I know you can't resist a good rejig.

Sounds good, though for some reason I now yearn for a section where you have just the vocals (and drums?) backed up by a whole load of off beat claps from your enraptured audience...

hmmm, maybe not? :D

Really good! I like the mix - lots of space for every instrument and the voice, and really good dynamics throughout

sjm wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Sounds good, though for some reason I now yearn for a section where you have just the vocals (and drums?) backed up by a whole load of off beat claps from your enraptured audience...

Like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUIPj32Oec

If I was confronted with an audience of that size I'd be hard pressed to resist the temptation of saying something like, "London, England, you're a set of c**ts..". The nerves you see. The overhead clapping would probably put my back out mind...

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:14 pm Really good! I like the mix - lots of space for every instrument and the voice, and really good dynamics throughout
Cheers, the artist formerly known as r....... Nah, retain the mystery! :hihi:

Nice stuff. I liked the composition and Arrangement. Sounds good.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:23 am
Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:14 pm Really good! I like the mix - lots of space for every instrument and the voice, and really good dynamics throughout
Cheers, the artist formerly known as r....... Nah, retain the mystery! :hihi:
:lol:

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:22 am
sjm wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:11 pm Sounds good, though for some reason I now yearn for a section where you have just the vocals (and drums?) backed up by a whole load of off beat claps from your enraptured audience...

Like this...
Yeah, that's the one.

Return to “Music Cafe”