What could IK's new Musical Breakthrough be?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/Xzmt3eVSv6g

A lot of emphasis on drum sounds.

MODO DRUMS?!

If it is, well, I hope to kiss my multi GB drum kit samples goodbye! Well done IK!!!
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Good point. My hard drive is pretty much full, mostly because of Toontrack stuff. But, If it's Modo Drums, hasn't N.I pipped them at the post with Drum Lab? I don't use Drum Lab, but isn't that what Modo Drums would essentially be? :shrug:

MODO drums is pure physically modeled drums.

benjamind wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:02 am MODO drums is pure physically modeled drums.
Oh, Drum Lab is samples? I have it, I have Komplete, but I don't use Drum Lab... I don't even have it installed.

an-electric-heart wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:25 am
benjamind wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:02 am MODO drums is pure physically modeled drums.
Oh, Drum Lab is samples? I have it, I have Komplete, but I don't use Drum Lab... I don't even have it installed.
Yep.

MODO DRUMS will be purely physical modeling. This enables the end user to tweak so many settings to really get the drum sounds they want.

Essentially MODO DRUMS will do to drums what MODO BASS did to electric bass.

So I'm thrilled to be able to delete old drum kit samples that are taking up space on my PC. Plus I get to customise my drum sounds and create the sound I really want instead of having to rely on samples that may or may not be what sounds I want.

I wouldn't delete any drum samples quite just yet...

If it's anything like their paradigm shift, I'm petty sure I'll pass on it for now.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

If that's a synthesized timpani in the trailer that's certainly insane.

11 years in the making? Must surely be some dirty ol' drums then.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Burillo wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:19 am If it's anything like their paradigm shift, I'm petty sure I'll pass on it for now.
:lol:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

I would love to experiment with making truly customised drum kits. Add this to the customised basses and you have the perfect setup to put down heaps of rhythm tracks. When they release the guitars (likely soon) it's just a matter of adding the parts. Bass and drums is the bread and butter and guitars are the jam, so I'm not surprised they put out the basses and drums first. In fact, I was expecting them to. :wheee:

I wouldnt put my bet on totally synthesized drums. Maybe some sort of hybrid between synthesized and samples.

Well this is all speculation of course but if they're making a physically modeled drum kit I think it actually has the potential to be pretty exciting. I seem to recall u-he were working on something like this but I think they scrapped it because they couldn't get the CPU down enough.

In any case, I would be particularly impressed if they managed to create a convincing hihat. In particular what's missing in sample libraries is all the sounds of interaction between the two cymbals when the pedal is moving or at different pedal positions. Think for example of the sound of striking an open hihat and then closing it slowly.

Also snare buzz (from other drums) has been addressed to some extent in sample libraries but I would imagine that physically modeled it could potentially be much more responsive and realistic. Would be especially cool if you could feed it with external input like a bass amp to get a live recording sound. Also imagine if you could continuously engage/disengage the wires!

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:49 am I wouldn't delete any drum samples quite just yet...
I would never get rid of Battery 3... tons of great samples in there. :)

I guess it isn't the same as a modeled bass replacing sampled bass, but it's incredibly versatile to have all those customisable options at your fingertips.

I would really like to customise a drum kit and have it respond just the way I want. With samples it is nearly impossible to achieve that. With modeling...who knows? In a few days I guess we'll know ;)

Return to “Instruments”