Wavetable Blowout: Massive X vs Avenger vs Serum vs Icarus vs Pigments...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

there are many different aspects of these hybrid wavetable monsters, here i list what i know about their 'drum' feature, if exist:
-icarus2 and avenger has a 'ready to use' drum sequencer
-synthmaster has a drum solution and drumkit presets, but its quite light
-in pigments, you can modulate among 6 loaded sample, but that means you can hear 1 sample at any time
-serum: no such thing
-phase plant: no such thing
-falcon: i have read falcon even has an euclidean sequencer in its tools

I absolutely love Pigments.

The thing is, to my ears Massive X sounds significantly better than any of the others. YMMV.

To be fair I haven’t tried Rapid.

Massive X on offer currently :)

Buckster wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:41 am Massive X on offer currently :)
Yeah, if someone has Komplete 11 or below, they can upgrade to Massive X for $99 and get the new preset packs too. Rush and Scene sound great to me. :)

dune_rave wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:12 am ...
Tbh, that´s the last thing I would ever need in a synth... what shall this serve apart from showcase presets??? It´s completely useless imho... if I want a drum machine I don´t buy a synth, I buy a drum machine...

Trancit wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:55 am Tbh, that´s the last thing I would ever need in a synth... what shall this serve apart from showcase presets??? It´s completely useless imho... if I want a drum machine I don´t buy a synth, I buy a drum machine...
This!
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Trancit wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:55 am
Tbh, that´s the last thing I would ever need in a synth... what shall this serve apart from showcase presets??? It´s completely useless imho... if I want a drum machine I don´t buy a synth, I buy a drum machine...
Yes, I agree, drumming on synths doesn't thrill me.
But I think dune_rave meant that those synths can do drums too.

Back to the preferences, as far as I tried:

Massive X has a beautiful sounding. Full and rich. Not so intuitive UI.
Serum has a simple UI and it's really fun to play with. Great filters, great power but you have to discover its potential.
Pigments has all these features together, IMO the best choice to learn and to make sounds.

Trancit wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:55 am
Another +1 for this.

Actually, I always wondered why some drum machines don't let you load VSTi's for the different modules. That would be a obvious feature for me.

Pigments is my favourite for sound design and expression - it feels alive as a musical instrument. Massive X for overall power and sound quality probably surpasses it but it's less fun to play and do sound design on, preset management is terrible and at the moment NI seem to be behind on things like MPE support and expression (Partly I think because they keep trying to shoehorn synths into the Maschine environment which is just too limited for instruments).

In Icarus the drum-sequencer is not limited to playing drum-sounds. It is a small multi-timbral synthesizer that is able to play looped samples or waveforms with or without pitch-tracking. It does also come with a smart auto-accompaniment which automatically resolves the chord that you are currently playing and plays a bass-line that 'fits'.

Markus Krause wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:55 pm In Icarus the drum-sequencer is not limited to playing drum-sounds. It is a small multi-timbral synthesizer that is able to play looped samples or waveforms with or without pitch-tracking. It does also come with a smart auto-accompaniment which automatically resolves the chord that you are currently playing and plays a bass-line that 'fits'.
Hi Markus,
Is there a resource (video, tutirial or guide) which demonstrates this feature?Very interested about the auto-accompaniment function.

Thanks

I've been demoing Pigments 2 and Massive X for quite a while. It's a really tough choice. I think the the filters and definitely the effects on Massive X are better. Pigments of course has the granular engine and while I don't think I would ever design a sound with it, some of the presets that use it sound great. I know people find Pigments easy to use and I think Massive X is also pretty easy. The drag and drop modulation works well, along with with voice controls and the routing controls. Pretty simple and flexible imo.

taldt33 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:27 pm
Markus Krause wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:55 pm In Icarus the drum-sequencer is not limited to playing drum-sounds. It is a small multi-timbral synthesizer that is able to play looped samples or waveforms with or without pitch-tracking. It does also come with a smart auto-accompaniment which automatically resolves the chord that you are currently playing and plays a bass-line that 'fits'.
Hi Markus,
Is there a resource (video, tutirial or guide) which demonstrates this feature?Very interested about the auto-accompaniment function.

Thanks
You can download the free demo from the website. The feature is explained in the handbook.
It resolves the chord that you are currently playing. So the bassline that plays in the background always plays the 'right tune'

The patches in the 1Finger category make use of it

Return to “Instruments”