Waves RBass free alternatives?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

can someone please recommend a free alternative for RBass?

One that will work on MAC+Live10 will be even better.

Thank you

bx_subsynth is nice and free. Also there's a bunch of cool bass enhancing effects in Airwindows bundle.

Airwindows Floor: www.airwindows.com/floor-vst/

According to Chris it's more like MaxxBass, but both plugins are similar in that regard.

bx_subsynth is very different product from RBass.

Also, it's not free? The free subfilter is just a filter, not an exciter.

imrae wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:28 pm Also, it's not free? The free subfilter is just a filter, not an exciter.
Subfilter is free, but you need an account in that site and from web iLok.

- shift the pitch of your signal down one octave
- distort the heck out of it (softube saturation knob is nice for this)
- add a resonant filter and tune it to the desired "rumble" frequency. If you use an LPF, the effect will be more like Lo-Air, with an HPF it will be more like RBass.

BX Subfilter and Elysia Niveau Filter can be quite useful for this, too.

Thank you all for the different recommendations, it is very appreciated.

AirWindows DubCenter and Basskit are free than use the free Boz Bark Of Dog 2 to add a resonant bump

Patreon/Donationware.
https://www.airwindows.com/fathom-five/
Tearing Riots wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:25 am Airwindows FathomFive, free.
Has replaced RBass for me, you have to dial back the mix knob a lot though.
Bass Landscapes
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... es&id=1147
Last edited by The Noodlist on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

NastyLF maybe?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

heavymetalmixer wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:52 pm
imrae wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:28 pm Also, it's not free? The free subfilter is just a filter, not an exciter.
But subfilter is not a direct alternative to RBass. I may have a couple of these wrong and will edit if people correct me, but:

RBass/MaxxBass/Floor: adding distortion to low-end that is already there + filtering low level

bx_Subfilter/bark of dog/any filter: create a resonant bump to emphasise a bass frequency amd make it ring longer

LoAir/pitch shifters: add suboctave(s) below what is already there

bx_subsynth/Submarine/DubSub: generate a suboctave then saturate it

FathomFive/any low-shelf: boost low frequencies that are already there

Using free stuff I think a manageable chain for RBass-like effects would be EQ->saturation->EQ, with the first EQ emphasising the lows and the second EQ cutting them back again.

imrae wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 am
heavymetalmixer wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:52 pm
But subfilter is not a direct alternative to RBass. I may have a couple of these wrong and will edit if people correct me, but:

RBass/MaxxBass/Floor: adding distortion to low-end that is already there + filtering low level

bx_Subfilter/bark of dog/any filter: create a resonant bump to emphasise a bass frequency amd make it ring longer

LoAir/pitch shifters: add suboctave(s) below what is already there

bx_subsynth/Submarine/DubSub: generate a suboctave then saturate it

FathomFive/any low-shelf: boost low frequencies that are already there
Yeah, RBass and MaxxBass are more about creating "fake low-end" for making it more noticeable on crappy devices, hence why I mentioned Floor. Nice to see I'm not the only one thinking about it :D

From the manual:
'Waves created the MaxxBass algorithm to do exactly this,taking the very low bass (user controllable) and
creating harmonics that can be added into the signal (variable by user). Waves has patented this technology,
refined it, and has put it into the Renaissance Bass processor'.
personally I don't know any 1:1 alternative that would give the same results as MaxxBass/RBass. Definitely plugins like bx_subsynth, LoAir are not the same and do totally opposite: they create sub-harmonics below.
I guess that Rbass is more like:
- bandpass (or lowpass) filter to select operational base
- harmonics generator/saturator
- bandpass filter for generated harmonics
- mix of processed and original signal

Return to “Effects”