Why so little respect for the synthetic "instruments" we're creating?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yellowmix wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:39 am
wagtunes wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:22 am And where's that? :lol:
Where's what? The book? I can't legally redistribute it and pretty sure even suggesting piracy is against the rules here. Check your local library, otherwise it's available on Amazon and other retailers.
No, you said that's where we're at. Where exactly are we at?

The divide between pop and classical.

yellowmix wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:21 am The divide between pop and classical.
Ah, okay. Thanks.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:51 am
yellowmix wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:39 am
wagtunes wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:22 am And where's that? :lol:
Where's what? The book? I can't legally redistribute it and pretty sure even suggesting piracy is against the rules here. Check your local library, otherwise it's available on Amazon and other retailers.
No, you said that's where we're at. Where exactly are we at?

Fine but where are we?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

<Skinny Puppy Geekerie>
BONES wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:26 am
Gamma-UT wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:12 pmThe shlock factor ramped up rapidly after Mind and into VIVIsect VI.
Which are two of their lesser albums. Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate, Rabies and Too Dark Park are way better albums.
No dis intended, as people like what they like, and you're clearly hugely knowledgable about this corner of the music world.

But... OMG, I have NEVER heard of a Skinny Puppy fan who regards VIVIsect as one of their lesser works! That's totally fascinating to me.

I had been into them for a couple of years when VIVIsect came out, and hearing it was really mind-blowing to me. The jump in sophistication of everything - production, programming, engineering, sound design, you name it - struck me as orders of magnitude more daring than anything they'd done prior. (And... Rabies felt like a horrible disappointment, to me, coming after that one.)

Not trying to change your mind on any of this! I'm just totally fascinated by your personal preferences. More power to you, though. :)

</Skinny Puppy Geekerie>

Whilst all the stuff you mention is true, there is only one good song on ViViSect VI, Testure. The rest is just a mish-mash of sounds and textures that are infinitely forgettable. After Last Rights, which I actually hate, the only album I listen to less is Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse, which sounds more like an overly long EP to me, not a full album. OTOH, Rabies is full of actual songs and very short on textural mish-mashes, which is why I like it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

That makes sense! If you're approaching the stuff from a song POV, then I totally get where you're coming from. :)

yellowmix wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:15 am ..divide between pop and "classical"
"nature boy" is informative to read about. interesting. posit "discretisation is about making teh cut". its not purely racial, the cut is made however is possible. i think that more validates the author's position than detracts :p racism is effectively cultural subversion not only oppression of individuals.

andrelafosse wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:28 am...rap is totally sung, to the extent where you can clearly notate pitches on staff paper or tablature.
one could say all rap (speech) is microtonal. pitching and other voice qualities may be equally as refined. all imposed definition. you could even say its less restricted. (i mean for me "singing" is honest, which makes most vocal performance not singing imo, but possible for heartfelt vocal expression to be song.)

skinny puppu guys i dunno. i can't approach this "brotherhood of music" where music is appreciated without the context of its purpose so we can retail. alain jourgensen nailed the purpose to the front of rabies and what can you do after that. i said it you herd it. you want to talk about what is good to listen to and nobody talk about the message. but then they invented dazzle phones and so messages don't mean shit. why do i want to mess on someones nice conversations because west papua is like, nice records brah, top class mastering but that hihat tho sound all smeared. like not quite clear something.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:25 pm one could say all rap (speech) is microtonal.
My thought as well, rhythm is overloaded and prioritized but the micro melody is there too.
Last edited by liqih on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

xoxos wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:25 pm
yellowmix wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:15 am ..divide between pop and "classical"
"nature boy" is informative to read about.
Sorry, what is "nature boy" in reference to?

Return to “Instruments”