Your next guitar revisited

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i hope when it comes back you keep it.
im really liking the aqua!

vurt wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:15 pm i hope when it comes back you keep it.
im really liking the aqua!
I expect to, otherwise, in this day and age, I'd just get it sent back. The frets are the only significant issue, and they'll get taken care of. I've rarely had problems with Ibanez guitars.

I put some Fast Fret on it, and it definitely helped. I expect the fretboard is a little dry, given the sharp-ish frets. This has probably been sitting in Thomann's warehouse for a year or more. The neck is very comfortable for me, body size smaller than my old AS-103NT. 24.75" scale. Pups may get switched out at some point. That would cost me about 50% of the guitar for PAFs or Seymour Duncans + labour.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Uncle E wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:31 am Image
Looks nice. es175 copy?

Gibson ES-165. I had been looking at Japanese guitars and this suddenly popped up for cheap because it has a repaired headstock.

Sweet - hngd
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Uncle E wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:14 pm Gibson ES-165. I had been looking at Japanese guitars and this suddenly popped up for cheap because it has a repaired headstock.
at 6.19 on this video, this guy show how he put nylon bushes under the pickup to suspend it slighly above the body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX_6HI574IU

How does it sound with that bridge. I have a 1927 L4. I put a gold tunematic bridge on it like the one on yours and it really degraded the sound, it looked cool, very cool actually, and went with the gold waverly tuners I purchased for it and tailpiece i had electroplated gold, but it just did not sound good, so i returned to an ebony bridge. I have to admit I haven't actually played it or had it out of its case since about 2007. I am in love with a different guitar these days.

Trying to decide - I have a pair of pseudo wide range humbuckers coming for my Jazzmaster because it's unholy how noisy it is when recording. I want a single coil guitar still - so I'm looking at the Dave's Guitar special run of '62 Jazzmasters, an American Original Jaguar or a vintage Silvertone 1457.

I've thought about lifting the pups and putting nylon brushes on my Joe Pass. The thing is I really don't think it will improve the tone that much. I'm generally not a fan of floating mini-humbuckers. But somehow the George Benson is all that. Floating mini humbuckers on a 15 inch body. I love the GB tone. The thing is the cheaper GB's have crap for hardware. You have to replace the bridge, the tailpiece the pots everything.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Thanks! I’ll try that! Mine already sounds exactly like that video through the amp (now if only I could play like him ;)) but I bet it will help the acoustic tone. I’ll try an ebony bridge, as well, especially since there’s something rattling in that area that I haven’t tracked down yet.

miloszz wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:16 am Trying to decide - I have a pair of pseudo wide range humbuckers coming for my Jazzmaster because it's unholy how noisy it is when recording. I want a single coil guitar still - so I'm looking at the Dave's Guitar special run of '62 Jazzmasters, an American Original Jaguar or a vintage Silvertone 1457.
We just installed Lollar mini humbuckers into a guitar in place of Seymour Duncan P90’s and the tone is very similar, only without the hum. Much brighter and more single coil-ish than any humbucker I’ve used, including Wide Range’s and the Dimarzio EJ Custom.

tapper mike wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:41 am I'm generally not a fan of floating mini-humbuckers. But somehow the George Benson is all that. Floating mini humbuckers on a 15 inch body. I love the GB tone. The thing is the cheaper GB's have crap for hardware. You have to replace the bridge, the tailpiece the pots everything.
I am not up on George Benson. I always thought he played a L5 or a Super400, but according to google he plays an ibanez, is that the guitar you were meaning?
Uncle E wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:57 am Thanks! I’ll try that! Mine already sounds exactly like that video through the amp (now if only I could play like him ;)) but I bet it will help the acoustic tone. I’ll try an ebony bridge, as well, especially since there’s something rattling in that area that I haven’t tracked down yet.
Sounds nice. For some reason the gold bridge thinned the sound out and gave it a metallic quality. I was quite shocked at the time at how much it affected the tone in a bad way. I put it on, if not somewhat temporarily, because I've always preferred tunematic, giving me the ability to set the intonation to suit my ear.

Burns The Marvin 1964 (Hank Marvin Signature Model)
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

can't remember if I mentioned the cheap FG-series Yamaha acoustic I recently put in practice rotation & am planning to busk with this summer. I fricking love it !
upgrades are happening - bought a Baggs M1 active pickup, some pearl-button Grover tuners, saddle & sexy bridge wood/pearl pins from StewMac
the set-up is pretty decent as is but gotta take it to my tech for better intonation and install of the parts above
wish me luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

A friend of mine had an FG series guitar for years - bought it used in the early 90s for just over $100 I think. It was a really nice guitar to play and had a lovely tone.

Idiotically he smashed it to pieces when he was drunk and angry...

Return to “Guitars”