Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

recursive one wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm "The performers are global and there is no option to retrigger upon note on or one shot. So they are not particularly useful as regular LFO's or Envelopes. "

There is that option, look for this on the performers manual.

It is hidden in a sorta unobvious place, though.
perhaps you can just say where it is...

My update of MX went bad so can't open it anymore.
Left to the P1 of the performer tab headers you find a grid icon. If you click that icon, a panel opens on top where you can set trigger options.
(that should have been obvious :roll: )

Stefken wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:12 pm My update of MX went bad so can't open it anymore.
Left to the P1 of the performer tab headers you find a grid icon. If you click that icon, a panel opens on top where you can set trigger options.
(that should have been obvious :roll: )
Ahhh... thank you...

Those options are helpful. Although they affect all 3 performers. You cannot make one performer one shot and another loop.

Also, the key option is legato. It only retriggers if a note is not held.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 pm
recursive one wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm "The performers are global and there is no option to retrigger upon note on or one shot. So they are not particularly useful as regular LFO's or Envelopes. "

There is that option, look for this on the performers manual.

It is hidden in a sorta unobvious place, though.
perhaps you can just say where it is...
Sorry, I'm not at my pc right now. When you switch to the performer page there is a small grid like icon, it opens the performers settings, where you can choose between loop and oneshot, and also set the trigger mode.

Edit: ah you have found it already :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

pdxindy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:00 pmyes, but there is no way to change pulse width... I meant 50% of standard half half... so 25-75
50% pulsewidth is a square wave. :) And yeah, LFO phase would be a nice parameter to have but we'll see if it happens eventually.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:52 pm And yeah, LFO phase would be a nice parameter to have but we'll see if it happens eventually.
This, oscillator panning and oscillator unison. These are my most important feature requests.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:02 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:52 pm And yeah, LFO phase would be a nice parameter to have but we'll see if it happens eventually.
This, oscillator panning and oscillator unison. These are my most important feature requests.
Osc panning
Osc unison
LFO Phase

And!!!

Direct sub-osc output bypassing stereo effects and global unison.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:52 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:00 pmyes, but there is no way to change pulse width... I meant 50% of standard half half... so 25-75
50% pulsewidth is a square wave. :) And yeah, LFO phase would be a nice parameter to have but we'll see if it happens eventually.
Regardless of whether I articulated it accurately, the simple shape I am looking for is not possible in the LFO or any other modulator in MX.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:03 pm
Regardless of whether I articulated it accurately, the simple shape I am looking for is not possible in the LFO or any other modulator in MX.
You can modulate LFO rate by itself: instant asymmetric shapes, not only for pulse.
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:21 pmOsc panning
Osc unison
I am not sure if these two will ever happen. At least I wouldn't hold my breath for that.
dreamkeeper wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:32 pmYou can modulate LFO rate by itself: instant asymmetric shapes, not only for pulse.
Yep! There's that :)

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:17 pm I still think, if we go back to the issue at hand, the best is to demo the synths side by side. Of course I’m biased because that’s what I did, and one of the drawbacks of that approach is that I was not able to dive deep enough into Hive 2’s Mod system. In light of this, I’ll probably re-evaluate how I demo synths and other complex instruments and effects from now on.
The modulation in Hive2 is a fine achievement. 12 modulators all visible on the main page (more if you count the Function generators having 3 individual outputs with different signals). No tabbing needed. Everything right there, nothing hidden, minimal menus and no need to keep lots of info in the head. And though the modules look simple, you can make all sorts of complex shapes and modulate the shapes in useful ways. Basic stuff is very fast... and even complex stuff is a fluid workflow. Besides all those modulation modules, there are also 11 midi modulators.

Add in the matrix modifiers and there is a lot of modulation power there. Hive 2 has set a new standard for modulation power vs immediacy and ease of use.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:46 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:21 pmOsc panning
Osc unison
I am not sure if these two will ever happen. At least I wouldn't hold my breath for that.
dreamkeeper wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:32 pmYou can modulate LFO rate by itself: instant asymmetric shapes, not only for pulse.
Yep! There's that :)
What about direct sub osc bypass? I would think it’s a simple feature and makes complete sense (since low bass is omnidirectional, it doesn’t make sense to have it stereo/unisono).

EDIT: and no need to hold breath, I love the sound as is (besides lack of mono sub osc direct output ;-p )

Another useless opinion (because it´s a personal thing):
I own Massive X and often try the demo from Hive 2 and my final result is i like them both.
But i would now take Hive 2 any day over Massive X.
The reason? They both can create some fantastic sounds but Hive at the end gives me more what i want and i find it a lot better to play with and also more easy to create my own sounds. Both have good GUI´s but i prefer Hive here as well. One of the biggest plus for Hive for me is the microtuning option via .tun files since i experiment a lot with non-western scales/tunings now.
I also find Hive a lot more musical if that makes sense. While i also guess N.I. will support it i have a better feeling with U-he in general.

dreamkeeper wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:32 pm
You can modulate LFO rate by itself: instant asymmetric shapes, not only for pulse.
Then you lose Sync...

Speaking of Sync... MX doesn't have any triplet and dotted options for Sync timing. Also no 32nds

Hive has a range of dotted and triplet options and a greater range of Sync timing.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:25 pm
dreamkeeper wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:32 pm
Then you lose Sync...
No. You have a set of 5 custom timings, you can switch between with modulation. Although it's not continuous modulation, it works well for pulse waves.
Speaking of Sync... MX doesn't have any triplet and dotted options for Sync timing. Also no 32nds
(right-)Click drag the numbers to set any time between 1/99 and 32/4.
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

Return to “Instruments”