What guitar gear have you bought/are you buying/will you buy?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some of the cases arrived, they're too small for each of my electric guitars (I also got one for acoustic, my Stagg does fit).
Trying to phone Bax but not getting anywhere.

Gave up after 15 minutes on hold.
I mailed Bax but never got a reply when I did so last month.

Which would you choose: Strymon Iridium or Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact? :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:48 pm Which would you choose: Strymon Iridium or Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact? :-)
What specifically are you looking for?
Revival Drive is a better "Plexi"... but doesn’t have onboard cab sim.
Iridium is ok... if you don’t need higher gain options. It won’t get into JCM-800 territory without boost/drive pedal in front.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:17 am
audiojunkie wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:48 pm Which would you choose: Strymon Iridium or Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact? :-)
What specifically are you looking for?
Revival Drive is a better "Plexi"... but doesn’t have onboard cab sim.
Iridium is ok... if you don’t need higher gain options. It won’t get into JCM-800 territory without boost/drive pedal in front.
I was curious about peoples opinions on the two —good and bad. Personally, I’m looking for a steller pedal, especially for great analog-like tube-like cleans—even if they are great sounding models.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Some day I would really like to get a Kemper Profiling Amp again, I had one years ago that I had to sell and miss that thing since then

audiojunkie wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:24 am I was curious about peoples opinions on the two —good and bad. Personally, I’m looking for a steller pedal, especially for great analog-like tube-like cleans—even if they are great sounding models.
I've had both the Revival Drive Custom and Iridium.
I like a bit more gain than was on tap with either... and that's why I sold both.
The Revival Drive (to me) felt and sounded more authentic.
Lots of folks are loving Iridium. I thought it was OK.
If you treat Iridium as a "pedal-platform", you'll probably like it.

If you're used to a top-tier modeler (Axe-FX III, etc), I'd stick with that.
A boost/drive pedal in front of the Axe-FX III sounds better (to my ears) than Iridium or Revival Drive.

If you're a low-gain or clean player, you may well love either
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:24 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:24 am I was curious about peoples opinions on the two —good and bad. Personally, I’m looking for a steller pedal, especially for great analog-like tube-like cleans—even if they are great sounding models.
I've had both the Revival Drive Custom and Iridium.
I like a bit more gain than was on tap with either... and that's why I sold both.
The Revival Drive (to me) felt and sounded more authentic.
Lots of folks are loving Iridium. I thought it was OK.
If you treat Iridium as a "pedal-platform", you'll probably like it.

If you're used to a top-tier modeler (Axe-FX III, etc), I'd stick with that.
A boost/drive pedal in front of the Axe-FX III sounds better (to my ears) than Iridium or Revival Drive.

If you're a low-gain or clean player, you may well love either
This is very helpful, Jim! Thank you! I'm putting together a sort of Frankenstein pedalboard that uses the BOSS MS-3 as the master, and I'm planning on having the HX Stomp midi controlled after the MS-3 so that the output of the MS-3 goes to the input of the HX Stomp, and then I'd like a really great sounding clean sound as my base. I'm not concerned if the actual pedal is analog or digital or modeled, as long as it has a really great analog/tube-like clean sound. I plan on putting that in one of the loops of the MS-3. I figure there are plenty of great sounding Boost, OD and Dist effects built into the MS-3 to cover any over driven sounds. My ultimate plan, is to go from the HX Stomp's line level outs direct to Mixer, thus removing my need for any physical amps at all. If needed, the HX Stomp has plenty of Cab models, so I'm not so concerned about not having a cab in my preamp pedal. I will mostly be using my pedalboard for Dream Pop/heavy effects-laden guitar sounds. I'm just wanting to make a light, powerful pedalboard that gives me lots of effects and can go direct.

With that background information, does your recommendation change at all? Do you have any other clean preamp pedals that you would use instead? Thanks for your advice! :-)

cptgone wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:29 pm Gave up after 15 minutes on hold.
Bax ignores my mails (prolly hasn't even processed them yet) and sent the remaining useless case (well not useless if you own a ukulele, a recorder, or even a piccolo).
So I have to stay home and wait for it to arrive so I can refuse to accept it. Sigh.

cptgone wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:03 am
cptgone wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:29 pm Gave up after 15 minutes on hold.
Bax ignores my mails (prolly hasn't even processed them yet) and sent the remaining useless case (well not useless if you own a ukulele, a recorder, or even a piccolo).
So I have to stay home and wait for it to arrive so I can refuse to accept it. Sigh.
Why did you order them - there were no specs/dimensions on the product pages?

I'm just passing through the guitar forum but noticed that you're buying too much gear - do you use all of it, all the time?

perfumer wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:38 am Why did you order them - there were no specs/dimensions on the product pages?
It said "universal case for electric guitar", I didn't check measurements cause I had a sleeping cat on my lap and didn't want to miss the promo.
But if none of my guitars fit, their product clearly isn't "universal".
perfumer wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:38 am I'm just passing through the guitar forum but noticed that you're buying too much gear - do you use all of it, all the time?
Too much eh? Excuse me.
I'm an old guy with good reasons to finally spend my savings.
In the past 10 months I've bought guitars, synths, effect pedals, most of them cheap.
I've often thought, isn't it incredible I waited so long to finally play/use a [famous affordable product X]?
And yes, I do use them all at once, but lately have been playing guitar only, trying to get to know my new guitars as they arrived.

It's just another case of a webshop shooting itself in the foot by not putting enough people on their sales/customer desk.
Cause Bax has a free return policy anyway.

I've had a similar experience with them last year, cancelled a guitar and 1 week later they sent it, not having read my mail yet (or so they said in the end, anyway). It was the first time I cancelled a purchase, the unrequired delivery cost me sleep and worries.

(UPDATE: Bax got back to me, I could simply use the Returns page to apply for a shipping label - which arrived already. And then carry a box to the post office - thrice. I'm gonna be so muscular afterwards)

buying too much gear?
are you his postman?
some people like choices, if they can afford it, well who cares?
if they cant, just keep moving house.

unless of course youre complaining because you keep missing out on bstock bargains, then yeah grrr :x

Return to “Guitars”