Guitar Modeling in 2020

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really want a TSE X50 Update or a new plug. Not that the current version is bad (2.54 maybe), but it is still my favorite for heavy guitar.

Thermionik is right up there as well. Like ED said, hopefully 2020 will see Kazrog blow some minds / monitors!

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 pm I'm hoping for Thermionik successor in 2020. Will blow everyone's heads off. :)
It's supposed to happen this year iirc.

Another vote for Neural DSP Nolly. I think it's actually unseated Plini in terms of functionality and variety of sounds (and sound quality is just as good or better, imho). Fortin Nameless has that gnarly aggressive high gain sound absolutely nailed.

Then of course, my all time favorite is still Blue Cat Axiom. They didn't have very good high gain tones until relatively recently. The unlimited possibilities of amps, cabs, and the inclusion of Late Replies, MIDI functionality and the ability to load 3rd party plugins .. it's just immense.

Thoughts on the Brainworx bx_rockrack?

The newest version (is that 2 or 3?) is actually pretty decent - like most if not all their current amp-Sims.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:23 pm There's currently this IKMM Group Buy going on where you get insane value for money. You can get an incredible amount of Amplitube models for relatively little money.
If you like the Amplitube sound and workflow, I agree, you get a lot for very little outlay.

Dewdman42 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:54 pm I fell for the recent IK group buy, picked up every possible Amplitube pack and quickly realized, I still don't like Amplitube.
I already own Amplitube 4, the Metal pack, one of the Fender collections and the Marshall stuff. Because of the group buy, I demod the Mesa pack, the Orange pack and the Dimebag collection.

After an hour or two, I came to the conclusion that nothing about Amplitube inspires me. I can't put my finger on it, it's just doesn't do anything for me. I then loaded up the STL Andy James and the Mercuriall Reaxis (on sale the other day for $44) and just had a great time. I wish I knew why Amplitube leaves me feeling flat - I enjoyed demoing the Brian May stuff and that sounded amazing, but everything else is just meh for me.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 pm I'm hoping for Thermionik successor in 2020. Will blow everyone's heads off. :)
I hope so too.

jochicago wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 am Thoughts on the Brainworx bx_rockrack?
I picked it up for $4 and it doesn't see any use. It's ok, even for $29 it's ok but I wouldn't pay more than that, I don't find it particularly special. All the BX ampsims sound thick and muddy to me when you crank the gain, which is strange cos I believe some of them were coded by Nembrini and I love his Soldano ampsim.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

cprompt wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 am
Dewdman42 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:54 pm I fell for the recent IK group buy, picked up every possible Amplitube pack and quickly realized, I still don't like Amplitube.
I already own Amplitube 4, the Metal pack, one of the Fender collections and the Marshall stuff. Because of the group buy, I demod the Mesa pack, the Orange pack and the Dimebag collection.

After an hour or two, I came to the conclusion that nothing about Amplitube inspires me. I can't put my finger on it, it's just doesn't do anything for me. I then loaded up the STL Andy James and the Mercuriall Reaxis (on sale the other day for $44) and just had a great time. I wish I knew why Amplitube leaves me feeling flat
That's how I feel about it. ReAxis is great! I bought it a few days ago on that sale...man... Lukather licks never sounded so good from my computer.

What I do plan to do at some point is attempt to run the output from amplitude into a tube power amp like mesa 20/20 and real V30's or something to see if it improves anything. i want to experiment with using TrueIron also to thicken the sound a bit..I feel that AT4 often sounds thin or something I can't put my finger on it. Horrible sustain unless you crank the gain up too high, then its noisy as hell. But I think mainly its just uninspirational to play. I hear demos from AT4 on you tube all the time that sound fine and convincing, so it could still be useful, but I'm basically still "meh" about it, even after trying basically all the packs available.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

I do use Amplitude alot for the pedals. (as well as the Kuassa pedals and / or guitar rig pedals). Not so much for the amps.

For amps, I normally start with (for my solo stuff) S-gear or the more rectent Kuassa amps.

For my band songs, I generally use the plugin alliance amps or more recently the Waves PRS ones. Due to the IK group buy, I can now use more amplitude amps, since these are the amps my writing partner has.

Saying that, over the last 18 months, we have started micing his amp when we record at his house.

cprompt wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 am
jens wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:23 pm There's currently this IKMM Group Buy going on where you get insane value for money. You can get an incredible amount of Amplitube models for relatively little money.
If you like the Amplitube sound and workflow, I agree, you get a lot for very little outlay.
I totally don't think there is an "Amplitude sound" and think that claim is 100% false and even ridiculous in its whole and complete entirety.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:45 am
cprompt wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 am If you like the Amplitube sound and workflow, I agree, you get a lot for very little outlay.
I totally don't think there is an "Amplitude sound" and think that claim is 100% false and even ridiculous in its whole and complete entirety.
I'll reword my statement:

If you like the audio that can be gotten from Amplitube specifically, as opposed to other Amplifier Simulation Software Products, and consequently wish to make an investment in Amplitube to continue usage of said product in order to produce those sounds, then being able to purchase one license to a subset of those sounds and receive, for no further fiscal remuneration, additional licenses for other sounds would seem to be a prudent investment. Additionally, Amplitube, like all visual and audio software products, has a GUI and a workflow that is unique to it, and is substantially different to all other similar software products. It may be that that GUI and workflow is conducive to your method of using such software products and that being the case, will find such GUI and workflow beneficial to your usage and that, combined with the sounds you are able to elicit from the product, Amplitube will substantially meet your requirements.

Of course there is an "Amplitube sound" otherwise why would people buy it if it didn't have a sound of its own?

But I think you knew what I meant.

I didn't - still not sure tbh - perhaps I got you completely wrong. I thought it was something along the lines of e.g. "that Arturia sound, as if their Hammond emu had anything in common soundwise with their (say) Synclavier emu...

I totally agree with you in regards to the work flow though. Either you like it or you don't. Personally I hate it and it makes me want to slap some sense into their UI designers, which is why I rarely use Amplitude even though it offers so much great stuff on the processing side. I even love the modularity - it's just so poorly executed interface-wise in my opinion. Like they didn't really give much of a damn when they made it up.

jens wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:20 am I didn't - still not sure tbh - perhaps I got you completely wrong. I thought it was something along the lines of e.g. "that Arturia sound, as if their Hammond emu had anything in common soundwise with their (say) Synclavier emu...

I totally agree with you in regards to the work flow though. Either you like it or you don't. Personally I hate it and it makes me want to slap some sense into their UI designers, which is why I rarely use Amplitude even though it offers so much great stuff on the processing side. I even love the modularity - it's just so poorly executed interface-wise in my opinion. Like they didn't really give much of a damn when they made it up.
Ah ok, I think we're on the same page after all :tu:

jens wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:41 pm But I advice you to try BlueCat Destructor - you can make it react dynamically in exactly the way you want - it's absolutely brilliant in that regard.
This ^

I like Amplitube and it is a great value...but I use BC Destructor almost exclusively now. It is a tweaker's dream, as always YMMV, IMHO etc.

Sound-wise it looks like the upcoming version of Thermionik from Kazrog is going to be a new leap forward with the improved sound engine. The dynamic response and subtle playing details that show through such as pick dynamics and length of note ring seem to be captured in a way that other modelers have not yet caught up to.

For all the guitar nerds and fringe guitar players, it is worth noting that 3d cabinet modeling is also making some leaps. The recent release of the Mikko vst by ML sound labs allows you to place impulse responses knowing space by moving the digital drawing pens mic. You still have to manually set up the distance but the sound quality and ability to move left to right quickly is pretty convenient.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more buzz around MCabinet, it's a wonderful tool for manipulating IRs and shaping the cabinet you want. Even has a dynamic EQ built in for the "C4 trick".

It's even useful just for analysing your IRs and understanding the differences between them.

Return to “Effects”