Dark ambient/industrial project part I and II

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by vilijn on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Listening to part I: Very soothing. I'm enjoying the tones you're using.

It's difficult to give technical critique on dark ambient work because there are so many considerations to make; so many artistic choices. Because of that, I find all I could offer would be subjective and that misses the point of your art - so I'm just enjoying the experience of listening.

Thank you. ^^

Did you listen to the second part? I actually played back the first in media player classic into audacity at a slower speed and then added bells to it playing them on my computer keyboard. And re-arranged/pitched/edited those.

I agree. It might be a little hard to judgde technically. Although after these tracks I'm going to probably cut those up and use them for two to four rhytmic industrial/powernoise pieces. Might be easier to judge that.

I listened to both; I love this stuff - it’s very soothing to me. I prefer the first version without the bells. What’s going on production wise, is it just timestretching/spectral processing?

frank1985 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:02 am I listened to both; I love this stuff - it’s very soothing to me. I prefer the first version without the bells. What’s going on production wise, is it just timestretching/spectral processing?
Thanks! ^^

Yeah a lot of timestretching but also using the standard audacity 'speed, tempo and pitch adjust.' I just pick either of those untill something suits me. I sometimes tend to get a little nuts with reeverb, delay and EQ as well. As for spectral shaping, not so much, I use a compressor and try to even out the volume and stuff but that's as far as it goes. Use a limiter in FL which comes standard but always neglect to really tweak it. Should look into spectral shaping perhaps.

Other, production wise, I use whatever suits the fragment I'm working on with this stuff.

Audacity is great I think with those gliding pitch/tempo scales as well. It's definitely my go to after fruityloops.

There is this one free vst that's a speech synth, alter ego, which I was able to make work with a decent amount of reeverb and downpitching/speed changing/tempo changing as well. Going to use that in upcoming tracks.

But you're into this style? I was thinking of doing the next two tracks like Mlda Fronta's oxydes a little with the atmosphere of the first two. So that would be more rhythmic and uptempo than this. The point being really experimental, going from soothing to hard and upbeat, or sort of. Hard at least.

vilijn wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:27 am Thank you. ^^

Did you listen to the second part? I actually played back the first in media player classic into audacity at a slower speed and then added bells to it playing them on my computer keyboard. And re-arranged/pitched/edited those.

I agree. It might be a little hard to judgde technically. Although after these tracks I'm going to probably cut those up and use them for two to four rhytmic industrial/powernoise pieces. Might be easier to judge that.
I have listened to the second part now. I'm not too sure about some of the bell sounds or their regularity. The one sound that seems most out of place is around 4:33 as it is rather bright and uplifting - which contasts in a way that doesn't work for me. Just a subjective opinion though.

I'm looking forward to hearing some industrial powernoise from you.

Unaspected wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:42 pm
vilijn wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:27 am Thank you. ^^

I have listened to the second part now. I'm not too sure about some of the bell sounds or their regularity. The one sound that seems most out of place is around 4:33 as it is rather bright and uplifting - which contasts in a way that doesn't work for me. Just a subjective opinion though.

I'm looking forward to hearing some industrial powernoise from you.
Thanks!

Yeah I was playing it back earlier today and the bells definitely could use some editing. I'll have a listen tomorrow at the 4:33 part - I think it might be the part where the bells kind of clash and are very present in the mix. Should think about maybe getting them al a bit darker.. thoughts for tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.^^

-deleted-

Added a slightly more death industrial/powernoise thing to the album. Mostly just random things I hit and recorded with my webcam mic and some vocals I pitched.
Last edited by vilijn on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not trying to be rude but honest. This is simply random noise to me. No structure. No vibe...what is the basis for this type of track...is it for background effects or what? I think if you threw overtop of it a slow industrial beat, one that is heavily distorted it would give the track some backbone to at least listen to it.

mindstuff wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:47 pm Not trying to be rude but honest. This is simply random noise to me. No structure. No vibe...what is the basis for this type of track...is it for background effects or what? I think if you threw overtop of it a slow industrial beat, one that is heavily distorted it would give the track some backbone to at least listen to it.
Yeah I was doing a background fx/track and haven't gotten past the randomness yet for this one solo. I figured, just upload it. It needs syncing/ beats/form. I was watching a horror show and got into a weird soundtracky mood with it. I don't mind honest. I kind of agree. Might delete it and make something new. :)

-deleted-
Last edited by vilijn on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

https://soundcloud.com/vilijn/laetan-iii-morph

Okay so in the spirit of the original tracks trying to switch it slowly into powernoise/electronics. It's a little bit of a dead atmosphere, but maybe getting where I want to with it.

Everything is samples I recorded from random stuff. Including my piano. Then edited/stretched/mangled/pitched. Oh yeah and one free synth.

I like this stuff :tu:

Cool soundscapes !
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:31 am I like this stuff :tu:

Cool soundscapes !
Thanks ^^

Return to “Music Cafe”