What device the VOS ThrillseekerVBL is emulating?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Molot TDR Kotelnikov ThrillseekerVBL

Just want to know, if there are any alternatives. What is this Vintage Broadcast Limiter?
Last edited by Igro on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just like anything else from VOS, they're not emulating anything at all (there are three different ThrillSeeker plugins and you're not being specific). LA is supposed to work like an Opto compressor, VBL like a vari-MU compressor and XTC is a multiband exciter.

Ah, right. I was referring to ThrillseekerVBL.

When it comes to the free world we don't have many alternatives for vari-MU-like compressors besides ThrillseekerVBL:
1) Klanghelm MJUCjr
2) TDR Kotelnikov. This one is actually a transparent mastering compressor, but a very smooth one.
3) Vlad G Molot. Many people say it sounds like a Fairchild 660 or 670 (in SIGMA Mode I guess), but not even the dev knows what would it be as he didn't emulate anything.
Last edited by heavymetalmixer on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

But non of them sound even close to VBL. I've tried the stuff you listed. VBL does the limiting and compression together. It just gives the power to any drums.

Molotov is cool, btw.

Igro wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:08 pm But non of them sound even close to VBL. I've tried the stuff you listed. VBL does the limiting and compression together. It just gives the power to any drums.
Yeah, free plugins tend to go for more unique sounds and I like that tbh.

Igro wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:09 pm Molotov is cool, btw.
It sure is! And very versatile.

Yes Kotelnikov is, wait Molot is eeh Molot(kotelnik)ov is... never mind I know exactly which one you mean.

Mind you, Molot sounds nothing like VBL. They've got way different sound.

Wondering, if sknote STA might be similar:
https://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index.ph ... mpression/

Nothing sounds like ThrillseekerVBL. Love that thing!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

ThrillseekerVBL is such a great plug. I mostly use it for parallel processing. I love absolutely smashing the track through it with extreme settings then setting the dry/wet knob accordingly. It vibes things up a treat. I've just gone 64-bit, so I'll probably experiment with a few other plugs to see if they can nail that particular sound with the same vibe, but I suspect I'll be bridging it for a very long time.

The gates Sta-Level is / was a vintage broadcast Limiter or VBL.

Just sayin'.

cron wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:46 am ThrillseekerVBL is such a great plug. I mostly use it for parallel processing. I love absolutely smashing the track through it with extreme settings then setting the dry/wet knob accordingly. It vibes things up a treat. I've just gone 64-bit, so I'll probably experiment with a few other plugs to see if they can nail that particular sound with the same vibe, but I suspect I'll be bridging it for a very long time.

I haven't heard anything that does what VBL does so I recently have gone back to bridging both this and Density MKIII, they are both great. VBL does something unique, especially the way the amp/transformer sounds. Sounds very real to me. I also really enjoy using it in parallel.

s28 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:25 am
cron wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:46 am ThrillseekerVBL is such a great plug. I mostly use it for parallel processing. I love absolutely smashing the track through it with extreme settings then setting the dry/wet knob accordingly. It vibes things up a treat. I've just gone 64-bit, so I'll probably experiment with a few other plugs to see if they can nail that particular sound with the same vibe, but I suspect I'll be bridging it for a very long time.

I haven't heard anything that does what VBL does so I recently have gone back to bridging both this and Density MKIII, they are both great. VBL does something unique, especially the way the amp/transformer sounds. Sounds very real to me. I also really enjoy using it in parallel.
Sadly, we will never see anything like the VOS plugins again, because their dev stop making plugins.

heavymetalmixer wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:27 am
s28 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:25 am

Sadly, we will never see anything like the VOS plugins again, because their dev stop making plugins.
We should kidnap him and force him to make plugins again :hihi:

in all seriousness though, i havent given up hope that he will return someday
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Effects”