Catalina and plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Forgotten wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:22 am
samsam wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:05 am Cool story bro.

So, how are the Mac users getting on? Not taking the plunge myself right now as no current interest in updating but useful thread nonetheless, our kid has just got a new Mac so I need to know on behalf of her.
Everything went smoothly upgrading a 2018 MacBook Pro, and the only things that don’t work are the standalone Korg Legacy Collection standalones, which I knew in advance are 32-bit.
Cool, thanks for the update.

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 pm
samsam wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:09 am
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:48 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:54 pm Apple sucks. Apple always has sucked. Apple always WILL suck.

Windows user since DOS 3.0

Apple can burn in hell along with Camel Audio for all I care.
This.
How many apple users spam pc threads on kvr? Not many I'd wager but if they do, these saddos should be publicly ridiculed just as much as you two.

Mods : My post is on topic, I use mac and would prefer not to stumble across such man-childs in my threads but hey, no biggie.

(I use both Mac and Win, is that necessary to state?)
I dont know and i dont care to know. I just hate Apple.
Cool hobby.

am away, but here's some of the plugins i'm using in logic X (10.4.7); all working in catalina:
fabfilter, valhalladsp; hive, zebra, spire, sylenth1. massive x, cypher2, flow motion. tdr limiter. izotope nektar2, ozone 9. aparillo. sublab. shaperbox2.

all my projects open (so far), work. will add to the plugin list when i am back at the studio.

Double post
Last edited by Forgotten on Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:16 pm
samsam wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:09 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 pm
samsam wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:09 am
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:48 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:54 pm Apple sucks. Apple always has sucked. Apple always WILL suck.

Windows user since DOS 3.0

Apple can burn in hell along with Camel Audio for all I care.
This.
How many apple users spam pc threads on kvr? Not many I'd wager but if they do, these saddos should be publicly ridiculed just as much as you two.

Mods : My post is on topic, I use mac and would prefer not to stumble across such man-childs in my threads but hey, no biggie.

(I use both Mac and Win, is that necessary to state?)
I dont know and i dont care to know. I just hate Apple.
Cool hobby.
Irrational hate, and feeling the need to search online forums for the subject to let other people know. Seems like a good use of someone’s time...

fisherKing wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:14 pm am away, but here's some of the plugins i'm using in logic X (10.4.7); all working in catalina:
fabfilter, valhalladsp; hive, zebra, spire, sylenth1. massive x, cypher2, flow motion. tdr limiter. izotope nektar2, ozone 9. aparillo. sublab. shaperbox2.

all my projects open (so far), work. will add to the plugin list when i am back at the studio.
Great, but did you just plaster Catalina on top of an already working installation, or did you install all the plugins fresh in Catalina?

That might be where issues occur. I did an upgrade on top of existing installs and had no problems, but I could see that I have a bunch of 32-bit installers on my system before I upgraded.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:25 pm That might be where issues occur. I did an upgrade on top of existing installs and had no problems, but I could see that I have a bunch of 32-bit installers on my system before I upgraded.
Yeah! Even if previously installed plugins will continue working without updates, I don't want a load of unnecessary detritus hanging around :scared:

Clean pants! Clean botty! Clean OS! At least that's what my mama always says :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:34 pm Clean pants! Clean botty! Clean OS! At least that's what my mama always says :tu:
Well one out of three ain’t bad... :hihi:

:hihi:

teilo wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 pm ...compared to the cluster-fsck that is ASIO on Windows or (insert your audio API here) in Linux.
Really? What exactly is "cluster-fsck" in ASIO? I never experienced any problems that were ASIO related. Some poorly written drivers, sure, but with proper hardware and drivers (eg: RME) everything works like a charm. As well or even better than in macOS. I know what I'm talking about since I run both systems.

I also experienced problems in Core Audio during the years as well, due to bad drivers (and I never blamed Core Audio for that either).
Last edited by fmr on Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Wondered about that as well. What's cluster f**k about ASIO? That it only comes with third party drivers?

Also, there's WASAPI/Windows Audio under Windows. Even though noone really seems to use that... which is a bit of a shame.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:21 pm
fisherKing wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:14 pm am away, but here's some of the plugins i'm using in logic X (10.4.7); all working in catalina:

Great, but did you just plaster Catalina on top of an already working installation, or did you install all the plugins fresh in Catalina?
"plaster on top"? i upgraded my OS, as i do every year (unless i get a new mac); so yes, everything migrated to the new OS without issue, and works. isn't that, ultimately, the point? to have a working system?

As a developer I was curious what Apple would break with this update.

The short answer:
Stay away from it unless you really need it.

I have been running several tests. Here are the results:

- All 32 bit software will stop working (!)
- Various hardware devices might stop working
- You will not longer able to use old plugins, also not with a 32 bit wrapper
- Plugins which are not code-signed will be refused by the hosts. They will require an update
- Older installers which are signed with a certificate might stop to be working. They will require an update. A workaround seems to be to disable Gatekeeper
- I was able to notarize our plugins successfully. It is a big hassle…

We will provide a free updates as soon as possible.

To be fair, Apple have been warning people for at least two years that 32bit apps were going to stop working. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Return to “Instruments”