Babylon Synth by W.A Production

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Babylon

I saw Plugin Boutique has this on sale for $13.80 ! I don't know much about WA. I assumed this was an old product that they were deeply discounting. I don't mind buying new-to-me synths if the have a sound I feel I can use so I decided to try the demo. It comes with 2300 presets. I was quite surprised how good it is. I was expecting a pretty bad synth... it's not an upper-tier synth for sure, but as a basic synth it has a decent sound and some unique character too.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/5784-Babylon

After looking it up I was surprised to see its NEW! At least... I think it's new...

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2019/10/w-a ... c-mac.html

Anyway, for $13.80 it might be a good buy for you. I am not saying it's an amazing synth, but I do think it's worth looking at especially at that price.

The demo will generate loud sustained noise after some period of time. The only way I can see to stop it is to disable it. I did NOT RTFM. YMMV

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 4.07.08 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Looks like an interesting thingy...
Microtonal approach seems to be quite attractive.
Petty cash for fun or inspiration, that's the question!?!

That'll be £9.95 in English money. Was funny cos I just got the email through from PIB when I stumbled on this thread. May be worth a punt. Another tool in the tool kit and all that.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I paid more for some soundbanks with 120 presets. Bargain!
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

IMO we see the new sweet spot for audio tools: around 20$ price and we do impulse buys...
Why not!?!

got it yesterday but hadn't had time yet to install.

The right, cheap price + right time (wasn't actively looking for anything or was I, subconsciously? lol) = nice impulse buy

Calenberger wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:56 pm IMO we see the new sweet spot for audio tools: around 20$ price and we do impulse buys...
Why not!?!
Jumped in and got it for £6.80 using virtual cash. A no-brainer really even if I use it just occasionally. Up and running in minutes. Edit - the GUI is scalable to either 50% or 100% of full size; shame you can't drag to suit your screen size, but hey ho. Other than that, bargain :tu:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I like it. Fun little and fast synth. Usable fx (as in; not aweful), great aray of osc's shapes and quite a good filter. Reminds me a bit of Carbon in terms of usability and sound. I like it.

Would love to see a 75% size option. 50 is too small. 100 is too big :ud: :dog:

Is the GUI suitable for a 4k monitor?

This seems a great little synth for dialling in quick sounds. No brainer. :tu:

And, you get Loopcloud for free right now... whatever it is. I haven't dug into it yet.

As others have noted, the synth sound itself is nothing special, and it would be nice to have GUI size options beyond 50 and 100%.

However, this synth is excellent and unusual with its microtonal possibilities - especially if you have Melodyne, as you can then take new microtonal melodies / chords audio from the rather mediocre sounding Babylon, 'Melodyne' the notes back into midi and put them into any better sounding synth you have.
For around £10, I can now get Sylenth etc playing microtonal passages of music by this method.

Doug1978 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:50 pm As others have noted, the synth sound itself is nothing special, and it would be nice to have GUI size options beyond 50 and 100%.

However, this synth is excellent and unusual with its microtonal possibilities - especially if you have Melodyne, as you can then take new microtonal melodies / chords audio from the rather mediocre sounding Babylon, 'Melodyne' the notes back into midi and put them into any better sounding synth you have.
For around £10, I can now get Sylenth etc playing microtonal passages of music by this method.
Maybe I'm missing something but couldn't I do this with Zebra 2 or any synth with tuning files?

I might be wrong as I'm not very experienced at making microtonal vst music beyond loading up the occasional .tun or .scl file in the handful of synths (such as Zebra, Pianoteq or Alpha3 etc) which accept loading up such files.

However, as far as I can see it, if you have Melodyne, you can now (with the aid of Babylon's simple to use tuning capabilities) transform Babylon's audio into a Melodyne midi sequence and then stick this in any synth, even those (like Sylenth), which can not load .tun or .scl files.

Of course, you could do a similar thing by loading up a .tun file in, say, Zebra and then 'Melodyning' that audio into midi and then into something like Sylenth.
However, I do like the setup of Babylon as it allows you to microtune every note very easily with individual dials.

There are no doubt other methods too, but if you have Melodyne and Babylon, but don't like the mediocre (imho) sound of Babylon then this is a fun and extremely simple way to experiment with microtonal frequencies for individual notes for any synth for approx £10.

Meh.
More BPM please

Return to “Instruments”