Babylon Synth by W.A Production

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Babylon

What a power synth! And "0" CPU (ok. 2 - 4;o)
Bought it on sale a time ago, (many) factory presets - but not so my.
But now! W.A. has 10+ Presets Pack on sale. What a range of (2.000?) powerful sounds. And fantastic preset organisation.
Its just 3 OSC with Filter, Effects and ModMatrix. But the sound possibility is awsome.
I still love Synth1, but Babylon will replace him.
Again, wow. Thanks W.A.

Yeah, it seems to be better than you expect it to be but I still find it's sweet spots are a little too few and far between. I've used it in a couple of things but not for ages.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The preset bundle is a one-time purchase. After you purchase the preset bundle, the "download your purchases" link will be updated to include every new preset pack for the software when it is released. It's a sweet deal.

It's the same deal for W.A. Production's other preset bundles, too (i.e. Instachord; Imperfect; DMS Ascension).
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

I don't think I've used any of the presets. It's so easy to use and the preset naming is hardly inviting. I've got the best results from making my own from scratch.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:13 am I don't think I've used any of the presets. It's so easy to use and the preset naming is hardly inviting. I've got the best results from making my own from scratch.
True, the sheer number of presets in Babylon is a bit overwhelming; oftentimes it is easier to create a new patch rather than to audition a bunch of presets looking for a suitable one. I created a rock organ patch with Babylon that I quite like.

Regarding softsynth preset names in general, rarely are they helpful in finding the right patch, though I have come across softsynth preset names which I think sound like they would make great titles for songs.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

It's not so much the number, it's the way they are named - SY SineAM 1, SY SineAM 2, SY SineAM 3, SY SineFM A 1, SY SineFM A 2, SY SineFM A 3, etc.

[quote=BONES post_id=8175831 time=1627888408 user_id=637]
I don't think I've used any of the presets. It's so easy to use and the preset naming is hardly inviting. I've got the best results from making my own from scratch.
[/quote]

Its right, a basic saw, some tweaking and there is a sound.
But if you have hundreds of presets with different sounds to start from, its quick and easy.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:49 am It's not so much the number, it's the way they are named - SY SineAM 1, SY SineAM 2, SY SineAM 3, SY SineFM A 1, SY SineFM A 2, SY SineFM A 3, etc.
You can quick and easy rename and sorted it with the windows browser. First i had "2.000" presets in 20 folder, now i have "only" the good sounded in my standard folders (bass, drums, lead, pluck, etc.). If you have a "supersaw lead" and think, a little more release is better, tweak and save - no "save as" or "will you overwrite". Easy like in Synth1.

Over the years something I dig about this synth is how easy it makes simple FM, AM, and RM.

Not having a “mod via” setting in the matrix or being able to assign multipliers so that you can modulate vibrato amount with the mod wheel is a very weird omission and I emailed them about it. It’s not hard to automate it but it feels odd.

It's a really decent basic synth.

Lots of wave forms (also available on the LFOs which go up to 30Hz). plus, of course, the FM, AM, and RM. The unison is pretty flexible. The saturation/distortion in the filter is nice. The additional filter and distortion options in the effects lets one go a bit overboard in those areas if desired. The ADR curves have 12 variations (and a surprising number of the synth parameters are accessible in automation lanes, or within a modular host/synth -). The microtonal plus scales is cool.

The included presets are more learning tutorials than anything. Not pro, just useful starting points. The mod 'matrix', yes, rather limited. Could majorly be improved.

Otherwise, everything (other than mod/tonal) is pretty much right in front of one, on one page. No dual-function knobs or any of that stuff, that I recall. Makes it all straight-forward, and about as easy to understand as just about any synth I've seen. Preset saving is also pretty clean and straight-forward.

Not bad. I've created dozens of percussion, pad, guitar, keyboard, FX, etc. presets of my own with it, and I really can't complain. Lots of sound possibilities. Pretty light on CPU. It's really very decent, especially at the original discount price (yes, I bought it that way). At that kind of price, an excellent learning synth, and a really good quick-idea synth. One could do a lot worse.

YMMV

Return to “Instruments”