Soundspot Union Wavetable Synth out today

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BlackWinny wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:10 pm In the meanwhile... Defiant WT is free.
But Windows only,at least Union it's cross platform :D
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:19 pm So, can I make my own suggestions?

- I kinda like the main page, it's got a fast workflow, except the FX section. I HATE scroll bars in synths, and I see absolutely no need for that one. You should just shrink the FX modules a little bit, and eliminate the scroll bar;

- I also think you shouldn't stick to a single GUI color (blue). Colors are unparalleled for sending GUI information to the user. For example, the only indicator for the FXs are these tiny on/off buttons. Why don't you use a different color to indicate the FX state? Same thing for the OSCs magnifying glass;

- I think I don't need to say (as everybody here) this synth needs velocity parameters;

- A mod matrix, or something to make it easier to visualise the modulations. I'm ALL about workflow and, by the way your Youtube videos look, you also are, but not being able to quickly see what's going on modulation wise completely dampers the work speed;

- And then there is the OSC page. I think it's really confusing, but I'm kinda lasy/busy right now, will try to return to it later

Cheers
Your suggestions are noted. The interface was designed to be not to busy and off putting, and also colour choice was to protect the users eyesight. Bright is bad for those peepers, although other colour options may be a future possibility. Velocity will be looked into, A version of a mod matrix is planned and the OSC windows are not too bad once you get used to the workflow. :wink:

BlackWinny wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:03 pm Sorry, I don't buy promises. I buy only actual synths.

And the price of a promise is not an argument.

In fact it looks as if you had no money for your R&D and simply are gathering this money to start it, using the customers simply as subscribers for your experiments... but without any guaranty. Why don't you tell the truth ?

Buying promises is like buying hopes without any guaranties.

How can you be serious with a synth which doesn't even manage the velocity when ALL the freeware plugins have this so basic feature ?
And the mod wheel ? Where do you manage it ?
And this insane CPU hog ? How can you talk to add new features when the synth is already a hog ?

Hmm... before starting to speak about future features, start at least by adding these two so common features and by fixing that huge CPU use. Then we shall see...
It is difficult to please everybody, and some prefer other features over others. We are also not by anyway forcing you to make this purchase, just here to communicate and listen. Alot of suggestions that have been made were already on the slate for future updates, but could not be implemented in time for release. This is very common, and we would appreciate your patience.

BlackWinny wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:03 pm How can you be serious with a synth which doesn't even manage the velocity when ALL the freeware plugins have this so basic feature ?

FWIW I remember another company that also came from the FX side of the plugin world. Their first synth had similar - very basic - features missing. Guess it's simply because of not being aware of the needs of a keyboardist or a sound designer.

Should'nt harm the rest of your post... just sayin... :wink:

Can't really go wrong for a fiver.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Hear2help wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:50 pm
LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:42 pm I picked this up yesterday, had no idea it was so recent, just thought it was on offer.

I didn't have time to get stuck into it, but flicking through presets, well for a start there is some mad lag when going through presets, and then some distortion, it clears after about 5 seconds but wtf is that about ?

Presets are solid enough, not a bad sound from it at all tbh. I will take more time to get to know it when I can. For 6 quid, decent buy.
An issue with preset selection and sound?. We are aware of a CPU spike issue when scrolling through presets, but not an issue with sound?. Would you mind contacting our support with an audio example if possible?. I have just tested this on a Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7 quad, 16gb Ram, Mojave, Ableton Live 10.1.3 and a Antelope Zen Tour. No distortion when scrolling through the presets?. :?
Maybe that's what I am hearing then, CPU spazzing out, causing distortion, I wasn't checking the CPU meter at the time. And there is a long lag once a preset is selected before it becomes playable.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Changing preset while Ableton (Mac) plays, causes Ableton to stop for a fraction of a second.

Hear2help wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:06 am
progtronic wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:48 pm I bought this directly off the Soundspot site for like, $6.40 (with a 20% off discount code: DONTGO20).

It has a few issues.. no actual bugs (that I'm aware of), and some really weird design choices IMO.

The two main issues I have:
-Absolutely no velocity (or mod wheel) control settings, for anything, anywhere.. that I can find.
-Extreme CPU hog. Click through a few presets to see what I mean.

With no velocity settings, it feels and sounds like some digital synth.. out of the mid-80's (ex: KORG Poly-800, Yamaha DX100, etc...)

The Wavetable creation thing is really cool, once you figure out how it works.

Basically: set up OSC's 1 & 2 however you want, then route them through the top phaser, delay, distortion & reverb modules. Click "Generate Wavetable" and it will create a somewhat random evolving wavetable based on your settings, and load it into the 3rd OSC.

This is great and all, but.. there really needs to be a way to actually save that generated 3rd wavetable. If you accidentally click on the "Generate Wavetable" button again, you'll lose all the work you may have put in with the original top section setup.

What would have been REALLY cool, is if they had designed it so that you could just generate wavetables, and then slot them in up to, say.. three different OSC's, with the current funtionality (plus velocity and mod wheel settings :P ).

Anyway.. for $6, I won't complain (too much). But it really needs some expressive behavior, beyond just setting up some cold, looping LFO or ADSR.
It's the first build, updates will come in time and suggestions are being noted. :tu:
That's good to know.

I'd also like to add, that it would also be nice.. to have a proper monophonic mode, with legato +ADSR re-strike on/off options.

The addition of a mono mode (+legato options) and amp/filter/ADSR velocity settings.. would offer a much more expressive synth design.

another one for my 'no to no-brainers' list :)

So? Looking at the GUI, free seems about right. Single oscillators synths tend to be too limited to be very useful. Listening to the audio demos on their site doesn't do much to change that impression, either. It's nice enough but a little thin and one dimensional.

Anyway, I had a bit more of a play around with Union last night. The filter sounds quite good, with a wide, strong resonance band that makes for fat resonant basslines. I also had the other recent cheapie loaded, Babylon, and they complement each other well. Babylon has a big bottom end, really big, where Union feels a lot less bassy most of the time but has a crispness in the high end that cuts through a mix. Both are great to work with, you can get nice sounds going really easily from scratch in either. That you can get both of them for not much over $20 combined is amazing. We are so lucky!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

What about unison detune and spread?
The effects (especially chorus) sound cheap, are they being worked on?
To create the osc as a wavetable without automation doesn't make much sense to me and doesn't give nice results either.
There is also no crossfading in the WT. There are still so many functions missing, i can't imagine that all this will be made up for.
The presets also sound cheap. Even if it's freeware, i'd still throw it in the bin. That's why i don't understand it being released at such an early stage. Until this thing becomes professional (worth over 100€) it is still a very long way to go.

Soundspot only gives me the impression that 0815 code is taken and sold in a nice modern packaging. Attract as many buyers as possible with incredible discounts to get attention.
Yes also with me sometimes my brain turns off at 95% discounts and buys without thinking. That will probably change in the future.

Nevertheless, i'm happy for the manufacturer to have manufactured products that will hopefully benefit him and other beginners. Hopefully the income will be used wisely and sensibly, for the benefit of all users.

I apologize for the very direct expression of my feelings and assessment. No offense. I like you all! :-*

Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:41 pm
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:30 pm Not always cheap mean garbage,it could be strategy to make some brand popular or something...will test it soon definitely,even if it's first and last usaga of it,just to write an opinion hehehehere :)Cheerz :)
Sound wise it's light years ahead of Air synths, I can say that! :)
No f***ing way. You've got to be joking.

But as I have a feeling you're not...no.
Just no. :smack:

Teksonik wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:41 pm Sound wise it's light years ahead of Air synths, I can say that! :)
You can say that....you'd be wrong but you could say that..... :hihi:
:lol:

Hear2help wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:29 am
Kongru wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 am The fact that they seem to release a new VST every month doesn't give me confidence that this synth will be updated in the long term.

26 plugins in 2 years... That's insane.
The synth will be updated, and apologies for being too productive :P
:roll: It's not about being "too productive", it's about Soundspot whipping up a half-assed plugin and quickly moving onto the next one without putting a lot of effort into any of them.

dune_rave wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:21 pm another one for my 'no to no-brainers' list :)
:hihi:

Return to “Instruments”