Soundspot Union Wavetable Synth out today

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:28 pm Trying the demo I don't think it's a bad synth at all. Nothing special but it has a nice solid character. Wavetables seem a bit limited although I may just need to spend more time with it.

But it's hard to say anything bad about a $7.99 synth. I could see picking it up just to entertain yourself for an afternoon and may do so.
It will be even better once the updates start rolling out. This synth has a future, and it is only just the beginning. :tu:

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

progtronic wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:48 pm I bought this directly off the Soundspot site for like, $6.40 (with a 20% off discount code: DONTGO20).

It has a few issues.. no actual bugs (that I'm aware of), and some really weird design choices IMO.

The two main issues I have:
-Absolutely no velocity (or mod wheel) control settings, for anything, anywhere.. that I can find.
-Extreme CPU hog. Click through a few presets to see what I mean.

With no velocity settings, it feels and sounds like some digital synth.. out of the mid-80's (ex: KORG Poly-800, Yamaha DX100, etc...)

The Wavetable creation thing is really cool, once you figure out how it works.

Basically: set up OSC's 1 & 2 however you want, then route them through the top phaser, delay, distortion & reverb modules. Click "Generate Wavetable" and it will create a somewhat random evolving wavetable based on your settings, and load it into the 3rd OSC.

This is great and all, but.. there really needs to be a way to actually save that generated 3rd wavetable. If you accidentally click on the "Generate Wavetable" button again, you'll lose all the work you may have put in with the original top section setup.

What would have been REALLY cool, is if they had designed it so that you could just generate wavetables, and then slot them in up to, say.. three different OSC's, with the current funtionality (plus velocity and mod wheel settings :P ).

Anyway.. for $6, I won't complain (too much). But it really needs some expressive behavior, beyond just setting up some cold, looping LFO or ADSR.
It's the first build, updates will come in time and suggestions are being noted. :tu:

Spencer Maddox wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:56 pm What’s it with soundspot and doing stupidly low deals?
I mean it almost comes off as desperate and makes me Question the quality of the product.

On the other hand they make Stunning UIs. I love the UI’s.
Remind me a bit of FabFilter.
Just making things more affordable. :tu:

Proken wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:13 pm UI is great, but it's lacking some things. For example detuning a simple saw. Also the routing options aren't clear, for example if you click on fine tuning for modulation, you don't know which modulation you're setting up to it. But for the money it is a good synth. Also some nice presets. This synth could be a monster if they put in some work.
Plenty of work will be continually put into Union, it's their first synth and first build. :tu:

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:34 pm
progtronic wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:48 pm With no velocity settings, it feels and sounds like some digital synth.. out of the mid-80's (ex: KORG Poly-800, Yamaha DX100, etc...)
Yeah, that's a HUGE limitation for me. When trying out presets I always check for velocity and AT response and give the mod wheel a wiggle. Without those features (especially velocity), I'm not sure I'd even buy this for $6.40. Using it would mean actually automating the parameters (if that's even possible) for parts where you want it to be quieter, darker etc.
Updates will come, and Automation is capable. :tu:

O.k., not answering my question IS an answer, so you are marketing only....

progtronic wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:23 pm
AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:34 pm Yeah, that's a HUGE limitation for me. When trying out presets I always check for velocity and AT response and give the mod wheel a wiggle. Without those features (especially velocity), I'm not sure I'd even buy this for $6.40. Using it would mean actually automating the parameters (if that's even possible) for parts where you want it to be quieter, darker etc.
At least, in Studio One.. it looks like you can automate almost everything. Still.. a PITA to have to automate stuff that should just be a standard on any modern synth.
Updates will come. :tu:

Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:48 am Am I getting it right? The filter sits at the end of the FX chain?
Master filter can be placed anywhere in the master chain. :tu:

The fact that they seem to release a new VST every month doesn't give me confidence that this synth will be updated in the long term.

26 plugins in 2 years... That's insane.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:59 am Oh, I think I got it. Each oscillator has got its own filter. That's very cool, but there should be a way to link all the filters together. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to tweak that much, I'm more straightfoward about synths. Hope they're listening.
Aside from that, it sounds very good.
They are listening. :tu:

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kongru wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 am The fact that they seem to release a new VST every month doesn't give me confidence that this synth will be updated in the long term.

26 plugins in 2 years... That's insane.
The synth will be updated, and apologies for being too productive :P . We have slowed down whilst Union was in development, but more products and updates will start appearing over time. :tu:

Vortifex wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:27 am
tatanka wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:21 am O.k., not answering my question IS an answer, so you are marketing only....
I think he's working his way through every comment from page 1, might have to wait a while :D
You have me sussed. Trying my best here. :p

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:06 amIf you can cast your mind back just one day, you might recall my answer was to your specific point about workarounds for lack of velocity.
Yes, and if you'll cast your mind back a few hours earlier than that, you'll remember that the comment you quoted was in direct response to another comment suggesting that Union, as a fairly simple synth, would only be suitable for beginners. You took an example I used to illustrate a broader point out of context, I was merely attempting to put it back where it came from. Had I wished to comment specifically about what you said, I'd have pointed out that anyone with half a brain who wanted to emulate a PPG would in all likleyhood use Waldorf's PPG VSTi, not something they bought for a few bucks at a sale.
dionenoid wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:17 amI own a few Soundspot plug-ins, they have never been updated nor improved. Never. Despite many user's requests.
Obviously none of the plugins you own are MSW 2 or Velo 2. (I have both and I used to have the original MSW, too.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”