Wavesfactory releases Cassette

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had a recording this weekend where I had a few spots that I'd driven too hard inside one of my FX, and there was some nasty, crackling distortion. It was a great take though and I didn't want to try to recreate it.

Cassette rescued those spots. The combination of saturation, compression and high-end rolloff just steamrolled over the nasty sounds and made the distortion pleasant. Much better results than I was getting trying to fix it with dynamic EQ or any sort of "repair" plugin.

Thanks for the update.
What bothers me most with Cassette is that so many important controls are hidden in the settings menu and I have to open it every time I want to make adjustments. Even the mix button which I need all the time.

enCiphered wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:44 pm What bothers me most with Cassette is that so many important controls are hidden in the settings menu and I have to open it every time I want to make adjustments. Even the mix button which I need all the time.
Yup, an alternative skin or some such with all controls available would be sorely appreciated ;-)

Lovely plugin, great GUI, great uncompromising sound.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

wavesfactory wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 pm
There are two approaches when modeling analog gear: circuit simulation (component level analog modeling) or 'black box' approach, also known as phenomenological. We recorded a high number of sound signals into the different cassette tapes and decks. Then we made exhaustive analysis of them to meticulously emulate how the analog equipment changed the sound. This is done not only by ear but by comparing using different methods both the raw digital input signals versus the analog processed ones.
Hi,

So does this mean that this plugin is using circuit simulation (component level analog modeling) or not?

Thank you :)

smellypants wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:35 am
wavesfactory wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 pm
There are two approaches when modeling analog gear: circuit simulation (component level analog modeling) or 'black box' approach, also known as phenomenological. We recorded a high number of sound signals into the different cassette tapes and decks. Then we made exhaustive analysis of them to meticulously emulate how the analog equipment changed the sound. This is done not only by ear but by comparing using different methods both the raw digital input signals versus the analog processed ones.
Hi,

So does this mean that this plugin is using circuit simulation (component level analog modeling) or not?

It apparently means that Cassette is not built using component level modelling.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

If it did use that level of detail, the CPU usage would probably be fairly high considering the complexity of a cassette system.
:borg:

Isn't u-he satin component based? CPU usage is higher than Cassette i think...

In any case, despite the fact that i conceptually prefer component level modelling, i gotta say Cassette sounds so much as my tape deck i don't really care in this case.

smellypants wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:35 am Hi,

No, we used the 'black box' approach.

wavesfactory wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:04 pm
smellypants wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:35 am Hi,

No, we used the 'black box' approach.
Thanks for the answer,

And thanks everyone else :tu:

Hey everyone, would anything speak against putting it as saturation on the master bus of a professional mix?

Because, I have so many saturation plug-ins tested on the master bus, and only this sounds dayum.
I would turn everything into the most pristine settings & turn everything off except saturation.

@jsmusic if it fits what you're doing, go for it. I'm experimenting using this as a complete sound to make tunes against. Its.. magnificent :D
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

i pulled a master through and actual cassette deck once. i mean, why not

I put this on every song on the master last insert and it just sounds damn good. There's no rules to mixing a song.

Return to “Effects”