Mixing Guitar DIs with mic tracks. Is it worth it?

August 2019 is the first KVR Guitar Month so here's a new forum for discussion of all things guitar!

Do you mix your DI tracks with the mic tracks?

Absolutely, yes!
2
25%
Sometimes.
5
63%
Never!
1
13%
What's a DI?
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 8

User avatar
forwardaudio
KVRist
38 posts since 25 Jun, 2014 from Germany

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:19 am

I love to mix my DI tracks with the mic tracks. It gives some extra spice with the DI having a better attack and sharp transients. It's perfect for bass guitars, clean & crunchy guitars and even for heavy guitars on some occasions. Who's with me?
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
5117 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Mixing Guitar DIs with mic tracks. Is it worth it?

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:16 am

It depends. Sometimes it’s worth it, particularly when you want to blend in a clean part to give more emphasis to individual notes.

User avatar
forwardaudio
KVRist
38 posts since 25 Jun, 2014 from Germany

Re: Mixing Guitar DIs with mic tracks. Is it worth it?

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:42 am

Forgotten wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:16 am
It depends. Sometimes it’s worth it, particularly when you want to blend in a clean part to give more emphasis to individual notes.
Absolutely agreed. I would say it's better for solos and licks than rhythm.
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

User avatar
Hink
Rad Grandad
29539 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Re: Mixing Guitar DIs with mic tracks. Is it worth it?

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:38 am

like I say I record up to 6 tracks (7 if they are mono), up to 3 mics, dry from a radial aby box, line out from amps (or from attenuators) and stereo returns from a lexicon mx400. I do use the line out input but not always, I find typically it's best with an ir but again not always :shrug:
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

tapper mike
KVRAF
5134 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Re: Mixing Guitar DIs with mic tracks. Is it worth it?

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:12 pm

My Yamaha THR splits the signal so there is a direct in and an amp in. 80% of the time I'm happy with the THRC amp/effects in. The other 20% I'll use the DI and then use what is in my host to do the rest.

User avatar
Hermetech Mastering
KVRian
1133 posts since 30 May, 2003 from Paris

Re: Mixing Guitar DIs with mic tracks. Is it worth it?

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:11 am

Never, but that's probably because my cheap piezo pickup can't keep up with my £8k mic recording chain. I have never recorded with it, as it sounds terrible, although if I was going for something experimental with FX, or playing live, I might consider using it.
Last edited by Hermetech Mastering on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
6233 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Re: Mixing Guitar DIs with mic tracks. Is it worth it?

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:19 am

For rhythm acoustic parts I'll often record with both DI and mic and double it all up so I've got 4 tracks then pan them as mic and DI left and right in pairs from the different takes, but in opposition. Gives a nice thick sound if you don't use too much of the DI, and probably also roll off some of the top end.

Return to “Guitars”