Mixing Guitar DIs with mic tracks. Is it worth it?

August 2019 is the first KVR Guitar Month so here's a new forum for discussion of all things guitar!

Do you mix your DI tracks with the mic tracks?

Absolutely, yes!
25%
Sometimes.
63%
Never!
13%
What's a DI?
No votes

Total votes: 8

forwardaudio
KVRist
38 posts since 25 Jun, 2014 from Germany

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:19 am

I love to mix my DI tracks with the mic tracks. It gives some extra spice with the DI having a better attack and sharp transients. It's perfect for bass guitars, clean & crunchy guitars and even for heavy guitars on some occasions. Who's with me?
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

Forgotten
KVRAF
5117 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Mixing Guitar DIs with mic tracks. Is it worth it?

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:16 am

It depends. Sometimes it’s worth it, particularly when you want to blend in a clean part to give more emphasis to individual notes.

forwardaudio
KVRist
38 posts since 25 Jun, 2014 from Germany

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:42 am

Forgotten wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:16 am
It depends. Sometimes it’s worth it, particularly when you want to blend in a clean part to give more emphasis to individual notes.
Absolutely agreed. I would say it's better for solos and licks than rhythm.
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

Hink
Rad Grandad
29539 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:38 am

like I say I record up to 6 tracks (7 if they are mono), up to 3 mics, dry from a radial aby box, line out from amps (or from attenuators) and stereo returns from a lexicon mx400. I do use the line out input but not always, I find typically it's best with an ir but again not always :shrug:
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

tapper mike
KVRAF
5134 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:12 pm

My Yamaha THR splits the signal so there is a direct in and an amp in. 80% of the time I'm happy with the THRC amp/effects in. The other 20% I'll use the DI and then use what is in my host to do the rest.

Hermetech Mastering
KVRian
1133 posts since 30 May, 2003 from Paris

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:11 am

Never, but that's probably because my cheap piezo pickup can't keep up with my £8k mic recording chain. I have never recorded with it, as it sounds terrible, although if I was going for something experimental with FX, or playing live, I might consider using it.
Last edited by Hermetech Mastering on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
6233 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:19 am

For rhythm acoustic parts I'll often record with both DI and mic and double it all up so I've got 4 tracks then pan them as mic and DI left and right in pairs from the different takes, but in opposition. Gives a nice thick sound if you don't use too much of the DI, and probably also roll off some of the top end.

Return to “Guitars”