My timing is precise but ... inaccurate.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yup, as title says.

Been playing guitar forever, mostly in my bedroom just noodling, and now that I'm trying to record some more "serious" things I'm noticing more and more my deficiencies in this area. In particular the following: My timing tends to be mostly correct in context with each other, but I have a tendency to consistently pick early. Even funkier, when I'm trying to record a part and try to stay accurate, I tend to get the first 1-3 notes "correct" but then drift off into being consistently early again. Funnily enough, it usually sounds okay-ish while recording, but then sounds bananas during playback. It's not a sound card issue, as I've been able to reproduce this on several setups, and it also happens when I play on the MIDI controller (so really it's not specific to guitar but that's the important instrument).

This seems to be ingrained into my brain and I have no idea how to break out of this. Any tips?
Cakewalk by Bandlab / FL Studio
Squire Stratocaster / Chapman ML3 Modern V2 / Fender Precision Bass

Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

I have found my timing has improved by jamming to Raggatek.
It helps to detune 4 semitones downward to me

Maybe the right drum track or backing rhythms?

njoy!

A lot of jazz musicians work on slowing tempos down then... work at being ahead (pushing) or behind (dragging) the beat. This is something that will help every artist.

Also... Practice in the morning Perform at Night.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Turn the f**king drums up!

Start dancing. Seriously...Start dancing :tu:

practice more lazyarse!

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:39 pm Start dancing. Seriously...Start dancing :tu:
like the shadows?

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:39 pm Start dancing. Seriously...Start dancing :tu:
like the shadows?
Yes! Or at least that's one option. But start dancing before even touching your instrument :wink:

Learning to drum really shows you how good or bad your timing really is, especially if you play along to recorded music.

Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

The Noodlist wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:07 pm Image
Not a bad call sometimes...

One of my mates is utterly shite at keeping time just by listening, but if he watches the kick drum on a VU meter or something like that, then he's miles better. For some people the visual cues must be more effective.

I think that metronomes are useful. However, I still think that it's good to try and cultivate movement physical to help keep the beat. My suggestion to try dancing is that you'll be able to find out if the problem is a lack of innate timing. It need not be anything elaborate. In fact, smaller movements are better, as these can then be transferred playing/recording. Whether it's the tapping of a foot, or the nodding of a head - Having that pulse running through the body can really help with keeping timing on-point.

so, drumming while dancing at the same time as staring at a metronome.
you should be steve vai by this time next week :)

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:36 pm Turn the f**king drums up!
only if it's a drum machine, otherwise, turn them down :hihi:

tapper mike wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:35 pm A lot of jazz musicians work on slowing tempos down then... work at being ahead (pushing) or behind (dragging) the beat. This is something that will help every artist.

Also... Practice in the morning Perform at Night.
good tip :tu:

dont worry about your timing and tell everyone its jazz :)

Return to “Guitars”