What are you go-to mix bus and master bus "saturation" plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

simon.a.billington wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:05 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:42 pm I personally like the sound of API models (using the Waves ones here). Easy to use and they give a nice colour to the sound.
I've been meaning to give it a try. Oh wait, not sure if I have those. Well I guess I could always try the IK version if I don't. It will be interesting to give it a go, though.
Yes, do try what you have first. Most probably you will like it. :)

I reluctantly really like some of the curves on the Waves API 560 and yes turning the Analog switch on does introduce some low level harmonics and a noisefloor. Haven't thought of it as much of an "enhancer saturator" though. If I was going to turn on an EQ plugin just for the harmonics it would be Sonimus or TDR over Waves all day any day. But hey, Waves don't pay me to say otherwise so...

just wondering... why would anyone want to saturate the mix bus or master? i get plenty of what i need saturating just the parts i need it on and only use the mix bus (which i name "Elmer's" :lol: ) for gluing/summing purposes and just because an analog emulation type compressor adds a gnat's ass of harmonics on my "Elmer's" bus... it is FAR from considered 'saturation' in my book. but of course this is just me and how i see and do things. but to each his own i reckon...

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

although at times i will use a clipper on the Elmer's bus for certain types of styles to push the output limit and it DOES tend to add a little more harmonics than an analog emulated compressor... i don't use it for it's saturation characteristics. i tend to use it for it's intended purpose of pushing things up and clipping off the tops. but in my opinion and my way of working... saturation is best allotted to individual tracks as needed. :) if this makes sense...
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Analog Obsession Konsol
Pulsar Mu

MadDogE134 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:48 am just wondering... why would anyone want to saturate the mix bus or master? i get plenty of what i need saturating just the parts i need it on and only use the mix bus (which i name "Elmer's" :lol: ) for gluing/summing purposes and just because an analog emulation type compressor adds a gnat's ass of harmonics on my "Elmer's" bus... it is FAR from considered 'saturation' in my book. but of course this is just me and how i see and do things. but to each his own i reckon...

cheers
for brightness without resorting to EQ. sometimes it works better

ah ... thnx for an explanation. i feasibly can see slight addition could 'possibly' add a little edge overall after the fact... but myself would have addressed that long before that point. but again.. no rules and to each his own. we all do things differently and we all do what we think needs to be done :) cheers

My defaults for subtle saturation are U-he Satin and TDR SlickEQ GE. I also love TB ReelBus 4, PSP Vintage Warmer and PSP MixSaturator2, but I usually end up using those on a bit higher settings. And for more extreme and crazy stuff FabFilter Saturn and iZotope Trash 2.

Klanghelm mjuc in mk3 mode , even without any compression applied it just adds that extra je ne sais quoi .
Marvelous plugin
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

ANd lately I've been all over klanghelm mjuc in mk2 mode , boy it sounds sweet
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:38 am I reluctantly really like some of the curves on the Waves API 560 and yes turning the Analog switch on does introduce some low level harmonics and a noisefloor. Haven't thought of it as much of an "enhancer saturator" though. If I was going to turn on an EQ plugin just for the harmonics it would be Sonimus or TDR over Waves all day any day. But hey, Waves don't pay me to say otherwise so...
Actually, in my experience a little noise helps make the tracks a little more "cohesive", well that and a few other techniques you can also employ that don't necessitate an SSL compressor.

My theory is that because its a consistent thing across most or all the tracks, if done correctly, it becomes another commonality that can help bind things together. Like using a master reverb, or the same console emulation across your mix. Plus it can help out with dithering as well, which in essence, is just allow level noise too.

Started using Unfiltered Audio Triad for this...

It’s pretty great.

Tape mode, VERY slight saturation, three bands- less in the Bass channel, and back off the global wet/dry...

Return to “Effects”