Companies with Ridiculous Transfer Fees (Edited title)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This post is a couple of years old by now, but I agree with jochicago. A nominal transfer is understandable if there are additional costs. However, in most cases, there are no significant costs to accommodate license transfers as it is usually done automatically online. Charging 20% of the current price simply for a transfer, such as one plugin company does, is way too much for something I've already paid for. While there will always be a minority of people who are scammers, companies that trust their customers as a whole build better long-term relations. From now on, I will consider the transfer fee a plugin company charges before purchasing any new, particularly pricey, plugins.

i would love to buy serum but i dont support companies who forbid reselling.
i like to have my options and freedom.

Ya, Robindrieghe, the same goes for Spitfire Audio. They don't allow transfers. While I appreciate the free small novalty libraries they give away in their "LAB" series, I am not going to spend a few hundred dollars on one of their vst instrument bundles, if at some later date I am not able to resell it if for some reason I no longer want it.

sambaji wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:13 pm Ya, Robindrieghe, the same goes for Spitfire Audio. They don't allow transfers. While I appreciate the free small novalty libraries they give away in their "LAB" series, I am not going to spend a few hundred dollars on one of their vst instrument bundles, if at some later date I am not able to resell it if for some reason I no longer want it.
They're not VST instruments, they're sample libraries. Big difference.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:07 pm
sambaji wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:13 pm Ya, Robindrieghe, the same goes for Spitfire Audio. They don't allow transfers. While I appreciate the free small novalty libraries they give away in their "LAB" series, I am not going to spend a few hundred dollars on one of their vst instrument bundles, if at some later date I am not able to resell it if for some reason I no longer want it.
Not really. There are many companies that sell sample libraries with easy low cost license transfers: for example all those using the UVI platform (UVI, Acustic Samples, etc)

Mr Arkadin wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:07 pm
I think that used to be the case when the samples were open format like wave files, but if they are locked Kontakt format for example, where you can't use it elsewhere, I think the comparison isn't that different now. NI allows transfer of third party Kontakt libraries so it's up to the developer. I don't see why sample libraries aren't often transferrable these days when the sample content isn't available outside the registered instruments.

plexuss wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:59 pm Not really. There are many companies that sell sample libraries with easy low cost license transfers: for example all those using the UVI platform (UVI, Acustic Samples, etc)
The UVI Workstation is their own proprietary player, I'm really referring to libraries that use Kontakt being pirated. It's easy enough to convert ncw back to wave. I think there are a couple of bigger names that do allow this, but not many. Usually it's only an option if you have some proprietary tech involved (like VSL's dongle).

However, now that Spitfire have started using their own player maybe they will consider licence transfers in the future for those libraries.

The main difference between vst and sample libraries is being able to demo. No demo and no resale is explorative and unethical. I put up with it because some libraries seem so unique, but I've been caught many a time by a deceptive video and spiel.

Anyone know how much synaspe audio creators of dune 3 charge for license transfer??

Return to “Effects”